What's new

Limit yourself to a Nine Different Soaps.

I'm in the sample stage right now, but figure at some point I need to get down to a reasonable number of soaps. No expense spared of these 9 what would you take out and replace with another offering?

Here's my take so far:
MWF
Pre de Province (for the Shea Butter)
DR Harris Arlington
MdC
Santa Maria Novella
Trumpers Sandalwood
Tabac or Irisch Moos (apparantly the same w/ different scent)
Penhaligon's English Fern
P160 or RazoRock

Last edited:
Martin de Candre
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Tabac
Arko
Irisch Moos
vintage Old Spice
Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil
Cella
GFT Eucris

Last edited:
Wow, I feel like such a loser, I am still working through my original TOBS sandalwood puck, which has been going strong for what must be months now, and I swore an oath to the GODS I would not buy any other creams or soaps until my first two were done - and this damn puck is clearly abnormally dense!!

Wow, I feel like such a loser, I am still working through my original TOBS sandalwood puck, which has been going strong for what must be months now, and I swore an oath to the GODS I would not buy any other creams or soaps until my first two were done - and this damn puck is clearly abnormally dense!!

Awww...just use it in the shower as body soap. Doesn't matter HOW it's gone, right??

How did you come up with 9?
I picked a baker's dozen. I have 4 creams that I like, but I like soaps better. Guess you could say I limited myself to a baker's dozen; 4 creams and 9 soaps. I picked it out of thin air, plus my small bathroom can only hold so many supplies.

1. Tabac (Winter)
2. AOS Lavender (Summer)
3. Pre de Province
4. La Toja Stick or Wooden Bowl
5. Klar Kabinett
6. Valobra stick or soft soap
7. Provence Sante
8. RSL Safari
9. Tabac (Summer), NO JOKE :001_tt1:

In no particular order:

1. Yardley
2. AOS Sandalwood
3. Tabac
4. Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge
5. La Toja
6. Truefitt & Hill
7. Speick
8. Creed Green Irish Tweed
9. Vintage (tallow) Penhaligon's

There are serveral I would take out of your list, but I'm not going to mention which ones, because when it comes to soap, what I like best most likely won't be what you like best.

The only exception here is the Pre de Provence.

You have a very nice "representative" assortment of soaps listed there, however if you are going on performance only, I'd replace the Pre de Provence with Provence Sante for your example of triple milled French soaps with shea butter. I own both, prefer Pre de Provence for it's scent, but Provence Sante is one of the best lathering and most moisturizing soaps you are likely to come across, period. It's got a "floral" scent going on that I'm not a huge fan of, but it's not terrible either, and if you leave it open for a few days, the scent will fade to a pleasant level.

I'm not saying Pre de Provence isn't an excellent soap, because it is, just that I find Provence Sante to be just a little better. Both Pre de Provence and Provence Sante are in my top 5, and when I've finished the Pre de Provence, I'll get another, it's that good, but if I could only use one or the other, I'd go for Provence Sante.

I just ordered a puck of the Provence Sante Green Tea scent that I found on Amazon on Tuesday, and will be delivered today. I'm looking forward to smelling it.

Speaking of leaving a soap open for a while to dissipate the scent... You need to add a stick of Arko to the list... A truly excellent lather, and after you leave it open for a while, a nice mild lemon scent.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
As much as I like many of the soaps on your list, I would chuck them all if it meant I couldn't use AoS, Cella, QED, or C&S.

If you want to duplicate the Penhaligon's English Fern experience, here are two options:
  1. Spend $100+ on a puck of the original formula
  2. Place three $10 bills in the toilet, take a deep whiff, and flush

Try them first and decide for yourself. If you only find seven you like, then the number is seven. If you like fifteen, then the number is fifteen.

I would have BOTH Tabac and Irisch Moos ... at different times of the year.
Spieck
Cade
MWF
Arko
LaToja wood bowl
at least one soft soap like Proraso, Cella, p.160, etc.
at least one Artisnal soap from SCS, MB, QCS, etc.

Vintage Williams from the Glastonbury plant.
Vintage Williams from the Cranford plant.
Vintage Williams from the Glen Rock plant.
Vintage Williams from the Beecham era.
Vintage Old Spice.
Vintage Colgate Cup.
Vintage Surrey.
Vintage Barbershop.
Palmolive.

I like vintage soaps. And Palmolive.

Vintage Williams from the Glastonbury plant.
Vintage Williams from the Cranford plant.
Vintage Williams from the Glen Rock plant.
Vintage Williams from the Beecham era.
Vintage Old Spice.
Vintage Colgate Cup.
Vintage Surrey.
Vintage Barbershop.
Palmolive.

I like vintage soaps. And Palmolive.

I can get behind this list! I haven't obtained Surrey yet, and haven't tried my vintage Palmolive (which looks like a green version of Colgate Cup Soap). So my current stance would be to remove the two of those and substitute:

Vintage Franklin Toiletries "Barbershop" soap
Vintage Avon "Gentlemen's Regiment" soap

Top Bottom