What's new

Limberger Cheese....Thoughts?

I really do like most other New Glarus beers. De gustibus non disputandum est.
I'll admit that Im probably the world's biggest New Glarus homer. I grew up in the Janesville area and when my when my great grandparents first came to America in the early 1900s, they were Swiss immigrants who settled in New Glarus, so I have a love for the area but I truly do enjoy their beers.
My wife enjoys their beers too and all of our friends here in Ohio love their beers and always ask me to bring beer back to Ohio when I make a trip home.
My favs are Spotted Cow, Moon Man and Totally Naked.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
EL SOFA:
Eeeeuw!!!!! That cheese has got to be 'sooo' nasty.
proxy.php

BTW, I always get some when the Mrs. (who loves 'stink [limburger], cheese), and I goes grocery shopping. :ihih:
proxy.php
"Dessert without [stink] cheese is like a beauty with only one eye." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Not an item found in the south normally.However years ago I found a jar of Limburger spread in a Winn-Dixie and bought it.Not bad,very smooth and only lightly fragrant.

The Wolverine Inn in Ann Arbor,Michigan used to have the best toasted Limburger and onion sandwich ever. Loved those things with an ice cold beer. They used younger cheese which was not yet in full on dirty sweat sock mode.

The Wolverine Inn in Ann Arbor,Michigan used to have the best toasted Limburger and onion sandwich ever. Loved those things with an ice cold beer. They used younger cheese which was not yet in full on dirty sweat sock mode.
If it doesnt have full on dirty sweat sock mode did you really eat Limberger though?

Yup. It just depends on how firm you like the cheese. If you want gooey you let it sit for months. I like it firmer so I eat it fresh. It still has an distinct odor. YMMV
Ann Arbor, eh? Good luck today my friend. The school just down the street is looking to make amends for last year!!

LOL If you think Limburger is funky, you haven't tried a properly aged Pont L'Eveque. I mean, a couple of weeks on the countertop. It's extremely good, but you better eat it outdoors.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My favorite funky cheese (and I've had the famous Époisses) probably is St. Marcellin. Not only does it have a super funky aroma, it also has a moderately intense, mushroom-earthy-nutty flavor with a bit of yeast and even a mild apple note. It's so runny that it comes in a small terra cotta crock (even almost right out of the refrigerator, it's that runny). I've enjoyed scooping it up with a cracker or a bit of bread or just with a spoon. The crocks also make for good mis-en-place bowls.

Must look for this cheese when I go shopping next. I love a good stinky cheese!

My favourite so far is Stinking Bishop, a Perry washed cheese from Dymock, not far from me. Really stinks! Tasty

Gareth

I'll take moldy cheese smell any day over bacteria cheese! I wanted to like it... I really did. But just couldn't.

Funny thing...some of my friends claiming to be cheese snobs that said they loved Limburger vanished after the brick was opened. I guess they had prior commitments, but still. Hey I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. EL Sofa managed to eat his share without flinching.

Top Bottom