What's new

Lilac Vegetal

Had a great shave with the Hybrid Tech and then splashed on copious amounts of The Veg for the second day in a row.

My wife complemented me on my choice of aftershave, just as she did yesterday.

I keep hearing how Lilac Veg is stinky but the time I wore it, I only got compliments.

I may try wearing some rose aftershave today and see how that goes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I keep hearing how Lilac Veg is stinky but the time I wore it, I only got compliments.

I may try wearing some rose aftershave today and see how that goes.

Sure don't understand the negative reaction to Lilac Vegetal. Even warned my wife that it could smell like cat pee and urinal cake.

Having worn it a few times now among friends and soliciting their feedback, I have not had a single negative reaction, only positive.

Perhaps someone who knows how the body chemistry of the wearer and the scent interact can weigh in here?

Sure don't understand the negative reaction to Lilac Vegetal. Even warned my wife that it could smell like cat pee and urinal cake.
Having worn it a few times now among friends and soliciting their feedback, I have not had a single negative reaction, only positive.
Perhaps someone who knows how the body chemistry of the wearer and the scent interact can weigh in here?
I too have only ever received compliments.
I was going to fire off a diatribe about how it never smells like cat urine or urinal cake, but then I remembered my father had a plastic bottle of the stuff that got old...
The plastic bottle had, over time, tainted the after-shave and it did not smell good to say the least, either in the bottle or on one's person.
Savvy Veg users know to decant their ambrosia into glass vessels lest it turn sour with time.
I decant mine into a vintage glass Lilac Vegetal bottle I secured on ebay and it works well at preserving the scent.
However, it's a pain to decant because of the tiny hole in the bottle.
I wish Pinaud would return to glass bottles or at least change their plastic formulation. They have to know of this problem. It is well documented.
That said, fresh Lilac Vegetal never smells like cat urine, urinal cake, or any other highly objectionable odour, and I don't believe anyone's body chemistry materially changes that...assuming they bathe.
Sometimes this forum is like a mediæval village, with malicious fish-wives disseminating rumour and gossip like the Plague, with no first-hand knowledge or regard for accuracy or truth.
And Lilac Vegetal isn't the only innocent victim here, check out the rubbish being spewed about Tabac (old-lady's purse smell, whatever that is!), Mitchell's Wool-fat (or any tallow-based soap), the Gillette Techmatic (deemed worst razor ever by those who've never used one), or even Williams Soap...
Now if you really want to know what urinal cake smells like, pick up a stick of Derby!

Lilac Veg is assertive and relatively straightforward. It's very different from the popular "barbershop" fougeres which are meant to be abstract scents. This abstract scent focus in perfumery has only gotten more pronounced as the years have gone on (it's particularly bad with modern aquatic fragrances).

The same is true even moreso with the Derby kolonya scent, which even predates Lilac Vegetal.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I too have only ever received compliments.
I was going to fire off a diatribe about how it never smells like cat urine or urinal cake, but then I remembered my father had a plastic bottle of the stuff that got old...
The plastic bottle had, over time, tainted the after-shave and it did not smell good to say the least, either in the bottle or on one's person.
Savvy Veg users know to decant their ambrosia into glass vessels lest it turn sour with time.
I decant mine into a vintage glass Lilac Vegetal bottle I secured on ebay and it works well at preserving the scent.
However, it's a pain to decant because of the tiny hole in the bottle.
I wish Pinaud would return to glass bottles or at least change their plastic formulation. They have to know of this problem. It is well documented.
That said, fresh Lilac Vegetal never smells like cat urine, urinal cake, or any other highly objectionable odour, and I don't believe anyone's body chemistry materially changes that...assuming they bathe.
Sometimes this forum is like a mediæval village, with malicious fish-wives disseminating rumour and gossip like the Plague, with no first-hand knowledge or regard for accuracy or truth.
And Lilac Vegetal isn't the only innocent victim here, check out the rubbish being spewed about Tabac (old-lady's purse smell, whatever that is!), Mitchell's Wool-fat (or any tallow-based soap), the Gillette Techmatic (deemed worst razor ever by those who've never used one), or even Williams Soap...
Now if you really want to know what urinal cake smells like, pick up a stick of Derby!

Picked up two of these bottles (ome for Lilac Vegetal and one for Bootlegger's Eldorado):

12-Ounce Liquor Bottles (2-Pack); Clear Glass Bottles w/T-Top Synthetic Corks Amazon.com: 12-Ounce Liquor Bottles (2-Pack); Clear Glass Bottles w/T-Top Synthetic Corks: Kitchen & Dining - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BRBXHS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-ZERDbY9BK2NZ

They work wonderfully for this purpose. :)

Getting compliments on the Veg is a good thing I guess ? But not everyone you meet is going to like heavily applied scents . The Veg as you know is not favored by many . Why not give the rest of society a break and go a little less copious on its application.. I like the Veg myself, but use it lightly. Somethings your best friends won’t tell you.
I've found the Veg is not overpowering even when I am generous in application.

I've found the Veg is not overpowering even when I am generous in application.
Glad you have not found the Veg overpowering . I can’t say I agree with you , but It’s the people you come in contact that my not care for the scent. I personally prefer to use it sparingly. I use it for my enjoyment, not to make others possibly wishing I used it more prudently.

Last edited:
Veg seems to be somewhere in between aftershave and cologne in strength. It lasts about an hour or so before it goes into a musky drydown.

I finally tried this, and while I won’t go so far as to say I’m chosen, I didn’t think it was bad. I was expecting something truly awful after reading all of the posts on here. I definitely get the musk, but it didn’t smell of cat urine like Kouros does for example. The lilac greenness smelled pleasant to me, if a bit cloying. It’s probably a bit old fashioned to make it into my regular rotation, however.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I was not chosen. I think the bottle should read..."new and improved, 40% more cloying"

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Veg Wednesday is still rocking around these parts.

All the ladies at the Chiropractic office make quite a (positive) fuss about it.

And my wife still really likes it too. :)

My great-uncle George's first career was as a gigolo. When he was about 40, he was forced to get his first paying job (in sales, of course). He always sported the same things: a cheap suit, an ascot, a pinky ring...and a healthy dose of The Veg. It certainly worked for him.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My great-uncle George's first career was as a gigolo. When he was about 40, he was forced to get his first paying job (in sales, of course). He always sported the same things: a cheap suit, an ascot, a pinky ring...and a healthy dose of The Veg. It certainly worked for him.
Was his "working name" Fred Garvin?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I really can't believe anyone likes the Veg, I smelled it a few weeks ago and wow. I am serious, it's bad imo.

@Raven Koenes posts got me pointed toward Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal - "The Veg".

The Veg either chooses you, or not.

I am honored to be a chosen Knight of the Veg Table. :)

As with all things Wet Shaving, just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Top Bottom