What's new

Like Christmas

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Wifey and I were entertaining friends at our home last night. Some friends of ours happened to bring their parents along. They are visiting them from Charlottesville, VA. Over cocktails I ask my friend's father (I'm guessing he is in his late sixties) if he ever heard of Shopslondon on Water Street in Charlottesville. He looks at me with this shocked look. :eek: He tells me he loves the place and how in the heck did I know about it.

I proceed to tell him that although I have never actually been to the actual store, that I am familiar with it via the internet.

He informs me that he uses a brush and a vibrating Mach something or other that has a light on it :rolleyes: that his daughter purchased for him. He also tells me that he is wearing TOBS' Eton College.

Well, I don't want to inundate my guest with the avalanche of information I could lay on him :biggrin:, so I don't.

He then confides in me that although he enjoys shaving with a soap (Williams) and a brush he wishes that he could find the "old-style Old Spice shaving mugs".

He looks at me and holds up his thumb and index finger and says: "You are probably too young to remember, but they were about this high and yay wide. I wish I had saved mine."

I look at him and say: "Would you excuse me for one minute?"

I go upstairs into my bathroom and find my Old Spice mug ( I take the cake of Institut Karite out of it. Hey, I'm generous but I'm not crazy. :biggrin:) and I walk back downstairs.

I approach my friend's father and say: "Listen, I want to give you something and don't give me a hard time. I want you to have this." He gives me a quizzical look and I proceed to hand him the Old Spice shaving mug (1966).

He is shocked. He is stunned. He is speechless. He is happy. :smile:

He held that mug in his hand for the remainder of the evening. He held a vodka and soda in the other hand. :wink:

He was like a kid on Christmas morning. I would catch him occasionally glancing at the Old Spice mug and saw him being transported to another time in his life.

All that for a six-dollar shaving mug. His daughter called us this morning to say that her Dad wanted to convey his appreciation again. (What he doesn't know is that I enjoyed giving him that mug 10x more than he did receiving it.)

I love it when that happens. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Damn Bob if I was in your place I would have showed him the mug and asked him if this is what he was referring to and then acted like I was going to put it back in its place before I gave it to him :lol::lol:

Good job bud great little story

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Damn Bob if I was in your place I would have showed him the mug and asked him if this is what he was referring to and then acted like I was going to put it back in its place before I gave it to him :lol::lol:

Good job bud great little story

I didn't want to take any chances just in case he had a weak ticker. :biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
You gotta love this place. It's the Christmas spirit here at B&B... IN JULY!

After sharing this little incident that occurred last night, I received this pm from Eric:

gunner6477 said:
PM me your address and I'll send you a NOS Old Spice soap (still wrapped in cellophane) that you can give him to go along with his soap.

Eric

Could you imagine? Offering a NOS Old Spice soap to someone you don't even know. And, serving our country to boot. Thanks for the very generous offer Eric and more importantly, thank you for serving in our Armed Forces.

It's Christmas in July at B&B. Amongst other things, it's this type of spontaneous genorosity that makes B&B such a special place. :thumbup:

. . . What he doesn't know is that I enjoyed giving him that mug 10x more than he did receiving it . . .

I love when that happens. :biggrin:

This is exactly what Christmas is all about. 'Tis better to give than receive.

Very heart-warming story. Thanks very much!

And to the soldier who offered his cake of Old Spice shaving soap: May God look after you while you look after us. Thanks very much for all you do.

Best Regards,
Chris

Too young to remember......:rolleyes:

How were the mugs sold originally, do you know? Were they sold with soaps, or in kits with a brush and soap, or what? :confused:

Too young to remember......:rolleyes:

How were the mugs sold originally, do you know? Were they sold with soaps, or in kits with a brush and soap, or what? :confused:

They were sold every which way in kits, Christmas, fathers day, you name it. Some came with stands, brushes and razors,aftershave, talc, and Cologne. Refill pucks were available in the drugstore and supermarkets.
I started with it back in the mid..... Oh nevermind.....

What an excellent story. I love this place more and more every day.

I actually saw one of those mugs at an antique store today, but passed it up. I was on the hunt for razors.

That was an awesome story, I was smiling as I read it. I think you hit on something, Christmas is what it like around B&B, you never know what you are going to get when you open a post. Thanks for that Bob.

Top Bottom