What's new

Lighter Scents for the Office

Mornin gents.

A couple months back I started a new job in a office setting. I normally like more earthy and wood scents (anything that makes me smell like a wizard), but in an office setting they are a bit much.

What do you recommend for lighter scents that you have enjoyed and dont seem to take uo the room?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I lean towards Fougeres; Canoe is fairly light. I think of it as Pinaud Clubman cologne ...

AA

Mornin gents.

A couple months back I started a new job in a office setting. I normally like more earthy and wood scents (anything that makes me smell like a wizard), but in an office setting they are a bit much.

What do you recommend for lighter scents that you have enjoyed and dont seem to take uo the room?

Sir Death, first, Congrats on the new job!
You can always use just a small amount of juice, or dilute lightly in your palm with either a little water or witch hazel.

Or, after application, you can gently wipe a damp washcloth over face and neck.

Other options, you can try some 'work friendly' scents like DRH Marlborough, or even Alt Innsbruck!

Lots of ways to control the strength.

Enjoy the journey, young man!

Sir Death, first, Congrats on the new job!
You can always use just a small amount of juice, or dilute lightly in your palm with either a little water or witch hazel.

Or, after application, you can gently wipe a damp washcloth over face and neck.

Other options, you can try some 'work friendly' scents like DRH Marlborough, or even Alt Innsbruck!

Lots of ways to control the strength.

Enjoy the journey, young man!
Thank you!

Both of those sound really nice. Definitely something I'd like to try.

So for lighter scents in an office setting, I generally recommend scents that have medium to good longevity but lower sillage. I find that many citrus scents fit that mold, especially the higher quality ones.

Here is what I wear to the office in the citrus /low sillage category:

- Floris Special 127
- Floris No 89
- Penhaligon's Castile
- Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
- Dyptique Eau de Sens
- Givenchy LPM Monsieur
- DR Harris Arlington

There are also a few woody/green scents that I think have good longevity but low sillage. Here's what I wear to the office in that category (keep in mind that I use fewer sprays of these compared to the citrus above):

- Comme des Garcons Monocle Laurel (green)
- Floris Santal (green/woody)
- Comme des Garcons Monocle Hinoki (pure wood)
- Dyptique Tam Dao (pure wood)
- Givenchy LPM Xeryus
- Houbigant Fougere Royale
- Guerlain Vetiver (super duper longevity, so one or two sprays is enough)

And then there are a few I wear in the depths of winter where only one or two sprays suffice:

- Floris Leather Oud
- Lalique Encre Noire

And to be blunt...the Lalique Encre Noir is not easy to pull off even in the winter as that smoky vetiver is brutally in your face, so I almost don't recommend it for office use until you have perfected your application amounts and spots.

You can wear almost anything as long as you figure out how much to apply and where but there are certainly some scents that are super soft and others that are extremely loud. The art is to take any one of those scents and figure out how to apply it to give you the result you want. Best of luck.

I lean towards Fougeres; Canoe is fairly light. I think of it as Pinaud Clubman cologne ...

AA

Just watch out because the tonka bean is strong. And for an eau de toilette, the dropper bottle design tends to dispense way too fast. You want to smell like you just got a haircut, not that the barbershop blew up in your face.

Personally, I believe Clubman is a very similar scent but less risky.

So for lighter scents in an office setting, I generally recommend scents that have medium to good longevity but lower sillage. I find that many citrus scents fit that mold, especially the higher quality ones.

- Floris Special 127
- Floris No 89
- Penhaligon's Castile
- Dyptique Eau de Sens
- Givenchy LPM Monsieur
- DR Harris Arlington

There are also a few woody/green scents that I think have good longevity but low sillage. Here's what I wear to the office in that category (keep in mind that I use fewer sprays of these compared to the citrus above):

- Givenchy LPM Xeryus

And then there are a few I wear in the depths of winter where only one or two sprays suffice:

- Floris Leather Oud
- Lalique Encre Noire

And to be blunt...the Lalique Encre Noir is not easy to pull off even in the winter as that smoky vetiver is brutally in your face, so I almost don't recommend it for office use until you have perfected your application amounts and spots.

You can wear almost anything as long as you figure out how much to apply and where but there are certainly some scents that are super soft and others that are extremely loud. The art is to take any one of those scents and figure out how to apply it to give you the result you want. Best of luck.

How do I apply these scents so I can marry the boss's daughter?

As an EdT, I recommend Penhaligons Sartorial. Not offensive, very pleasant, and sillage is very close to your skin after an hour or so.
As an aftershave, I'd recommend Stirling Executive Man. It smells lovely, feels great on the face, and within 30 minutes it stay very close to the skin. I've not tried the EdT version, so can't speak to its sillage.

M

Member 113878

For an understated fragrance, I like Bulgari pour homme. (the original one)

- Floris Special 127
- Floris No 89
- Penhaligon's Castile
- Dyptique Eau de Sens
- Givenchy LPM Monsieur
- DR Harris Arlington

- Givenchy LPM Xeryus

- Floris Leather Oud
- Lalique Encre Noire

Oh my, that Floris sounds amazing. Might snag a sample. The full bottle is a bit heavy for my account.

Thanks for pointing them out. Definitely up my alley.

Some lighter office wear that I enjoy:

MontBlanc Starwalker - it's not woodsy, but it is clean. I've had several comments that I smelled like I'd just gotten out of the shower.

Fragrances Of Ireland Patrick - Clean green. Fern, oakmoss, patchouli. A bit earthy/woodsy without being overbearing.

Terre D'Hermes - a classic for a reason. Some citrus, some woods, some mineral. A little goes a long way, but it doesn't wear too heavily. Great scent for a mature (not age but attitude) man.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm retired now, but my lighter go-to's for the office were:
DR Harris Arlington
Speick
Penhaligon's English Fern and Sartorial

Some lighter office wear that I enjoy:

MontBlanc Starwalker - it's not woodsy, but it is clean. I've had several comments that I smelled like I'd just gotten out of the shower.

Fragrances Of Ireland Patrick - Clean green. Fern, oakmoss, patchouli. A bit earthy/woodsy without being overbearing.

Terre D'Hermes - a classic for a reason. Some citrus, some woods, some mineral. A little goes a long way, but it doesn't wear too heavily. Great scent for a mature (not age but attitude) man.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
+1on the TDH!!!! Best office scent that I can think of.

Top Bottom