What's new

Lifespan of a Brush

Bought an ibero brush few weeks ago, now its completely shedded... It lost 1-3 hairs each shave, and lastly it flopped over 50 hairs in one pack. i lookd inside that brush, and there was alot of empty space betwen knot and handle.........

is this how companies make brushes these days? really?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Bought an ibero brush few weeks ago, now its completely shedded... It lost 1-3 hairs each shave, and lastly it flopped over 50 hairs in one pack. i lookd inside that brush, and there was alot of empty space betwen knot and handle.........

Never heard about Ibero brushes, but even a cheap brush should last a bit longer...unless is was truly cheaply made as well.
There are many excellent brushes out there that will last a very long time. Also, it depends a lot how a brush is treated and cared for as well. Very often when I have a brush for restoration with a new knot, I see a lot, and I mean really a lot, of soap/cream residue inside the knot when I cut it off.

Ibero is company here in finland, they sell some other stuff too. i dont know who makes those brushes for them, but quality was really bad. cost was 10€. so it was cheap brush. i got another cheap wilkem brush, like 4-6€ and it has lasted very long, close an year possibly.

i rinse my brushes carefully after ewery shave, and let them dry. 2 brushes, they got 48h of dryi g times.

there any brushes that are really well glued? i really dont care about of handles.

Never heard about Ibero brushes, but even a cheap brush should last a bit longer...unless is was truly cheaply made as well.
There are many excellent brushes out there that will last a very long time. Also, it depends a lot how a brush is treated and cared for as well. Very often when I have a brush for restoration with a new knot, I see a lot, and I mean really a lot, of soap/cream residue inside the knot when I cut it off.
what brushes really does last? how to know are they good or bad glued?

Not ansvearing my question, is an clear sign that thre is extremely meny bad brushes. And i will answear for your question, that yes, i do rinse my brushes and keep them clean. And i cant ewen mash my brush because i do facelather! or do you think i mash against my face so i run with red skin at city?
i see vendor is king, customer is the one who makes all wrong. But yes im getting so pissed on this salesman foorum that im off right now from here, thnx amd bb!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Not ansvearing my question, is an clear sign that thre is extremely meny bad brushes. And i will answear for your question, that yes, i do rinse my brushes and keep them clean. And i cant ewen mash my brush because i do facelather! or do you think i mash against my face so i run with red skin at city?
i see vendor is king, customer is the one who makes all wrong. But yes im getting so pissed on this salesman foorum that im off right now from here, thnx amd bb!
You may want to spend some more time here on the brushes forum and read through the many threads about brushes. There are very many excellent brushes that last a long time. As I said in an earlier post, I have seen and handled brushes that were 30 years or so old and were in superb conditions, but I also have seen quite a few that were not that old and have been not treated well - showing a lot of soap/cream residue inside the knot.
Most of the brands discussed here are great brushes. Not only from the established companies, but there is also a plethora of brush makers that have sprung up in the past 10-12 years. Since I am a brush maker myself, I refrain to name any names here. On rare occasions, even a high end brush may have an issue with the knot, and it may shed a bit more than expected. A reputable company will replace the knot if they see the brush was treated properly without any questions. Yes, a higher price point may be also a factor, and I would not expect a company that sells a $5-$10 brush standing behind their products - although at this price point their cost is maybe a buck or two and they might give you a new one.....
But you should re-read your post, it comes over as a bit aggressive, so you may not get too many responses.

I started using brush and soap back in 1974. At that time all I could find were cheap drugstore brushes. They took some abuse from a younger me, but in general they lasted maybe 3 or 4 maybe 5 years before they were useless. Fast forward to today and I have many brushes. The modern good quality brushes will last a long time, even if you use just one. But they do require some care. If you rotate among your natural fiber brushes they will last several lifetimes. Add in a few synthetics and you are good to the next millennium.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets

Agree not to be eager to get angry. There are members from many countries on B&B. Sometimes we can’t provide immediate advice just because of jet lag; I am in Asia, and when I reply to the article, many friends in America are even sleeping. We are proud of gentleman discussions in B&B.

Going back to the question you raised, a comprehensive commercial brand like "ibero" often imports many cheap products and affixes its own label; there are more brands in Asia where I work in similar ways, so We are not inclined to assume that it is a credible brand of shaving products.

If we want to give examples of relatively reliable products, spend more time in "Shaving Brushes"You can see a lot of discussions in the classification; for example, the common simpsons/muhle, or the budget-friendly yaqi/omega... are welcomed by many people and have a certain degree of quality stability.

I have 3 boar brushes and of course other fiber types. These 3 brushes cover all the level of backbone and scrub for me, from the high level to the minimum one. I don't know how long they will last, the oldest one is 3 years old and not loosing its characteristics. Honestly if they last 20 years, I would be surprised for good...

I think the synthetic ones could last forever.

I don't care for my 3 badger brushes a lot. They change their character with usage and I am afraid that synthetic ones could replace them.

It's is a good hobby this one.

Your post barely makes sense. If you don’t like B&B, delete your account.

Also, I personally don’t own any of Rudy’s brushes, but he is the only B&B vendor that regularly posts about him using brands of brushes other than his own. And he does this a lot. Varlet, ShaveMac, Simpsons, etc. I don’t recall him recommending one of his own brushes when asked either.

Relax and have fun here, or leave.

My first brush went maybe 12 years. The wood handle finish wore out and the handle cracked. The badger hair was just fine. I have a Edwin Jagger travel brush that was my daily brush for 15 years. Still going strong though doesn't get used often these days. Another brush is doing just fine as well.

A good quality badger will last a long, long time if a little care is taken.

I have 3 boar brushes and of course other fiber types. These 3 brushes cover all the level of backbone and scrub for me, from the high level to the minimum one. I don't know how long they will last, the oldest one is 3 years old and not loosing its characteristics. Honestly if they last 20 years, I would be surprised for good...
I bought an Omega boar brush 10 years ago and still use it.

Sorry about of my last few posts, those did go under bench. i have had few bad days when covid started, straight unemployd from the beginning. over 1year now. And the company is dead, no more work. but this should not make reason to rage here...

You may want to spend some more time here on the brushes forum and read through the many threads about brushes. There are very many excellent brushes that last a long time. As I said in an earlier post, I have seen and handled brushes that were 30 years or so old and were in superb conditions, but I also have seen quite a few that were not that old and have been not treated well - showing a lot of soap/cream residue inside the knot.
Most of the brands discussed here are great brushes. Not only from the established companies, but there is also a plethora of brush makers that have sprung up in the past 10-12 years. Since I am a brush maker myself, I refrain to name any names here. On rare occasions, even a high end brush may have an issue with the knot, and it may shed a bit more than expected. A reputable company will replace the knot if they see the brush was treated properly without any questions. Yes, a higher price point may be also a factor, and I would not expect a company that sells a $5-$10 brush standing behind their products - although at this price point their cost is maybe a buck or two and they might give you a new one.....
But you should re-read your post, it comes over as a bit aggressive, so you may not get too many responses.
Hi, try a brand like omega from Italy. They sell for a reasonable price. And you will get value and quality. I see you just want a value at a fair price. I think omega is perfect for you. Have fun with our shaving hobby. Best, Ron Eastman

Hi Akke, it can be frustrating. Omega is a good deal. There are a lot of good people here to help. I wish you the very best. Ron

I use 2 cheap Omega boar brushes for my shaves. They both have shed several hairs apiece but nothing more serious than that. I do take care to rinse them out thoroughly after each use and I rotate them. They work just fine.!😄😄😄

Top Bottom