What's new

Lifespan of a Brush

I know brushes have a lifespan, because I've seen worn out "vintage" brushes for sale online. I'm sure different brushes have different lifespans, but, in general, how long does a brush last? I'm not talking about the super cheap things like Burma Shave that begin falling apart on day one. I mean Omegas, Semogues, or other quality boars or decent brands of badger brushes.

I have a 10 year old Omega boar, and I still use it. The bristles are not falling out. It's become very soft over time. I recently bought a Parker silver tip. I have a feeling I will be set for life. I will never "need" to buy another brush. But they must wear out eventually. When I bought the Omega I never expected it to last so long. Basically, I am asking because I am amazed.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I know brushes have a lifespan, because I've seen worn out "vintage" brushes for sale online. I'm sure different brushes have different lifespans, but, in general, how long does a brush last? I'm not talking about the super cheap things like Burma Shave that begin falling apart on day one. I mean Omegas, Semogues, or other quality boars or decent brands of badger brushes.

I have a 10 year old Omega boar, and I still use it. The bristles are not falling out. It's become very soft over time. I recently bought a Parker silver tip. I have a feeling I will be set for life. I will never "need" to buy another brush. But they must wear out eventually. When I bought the Omega I never expected it to last so long. Basically, I am asking because I am amazed.
I got twenty years of daily use from a Caswell and Massey badger. I did not rotate it with anything else and never missed a daily shave except for a few days backpacking.

I got twenty years of daily use from a Caswell and Massey badger. I did not rotate it with anything else and never missed a daily shave except for a few days backpacking.
So what was its condition when you retired it?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've been shaving with brushes since 1974 and the only brushes I've 'worn out' were cheap drugstore boars that never properly dried and probably weren't cleaned properly. Used daily, after 4-6 years they would begin to lose significant numbers of hairs with each use. I think I also had the wooden handle swell and crack on one. Ever since I started using a rotation of 3 or more (now more like 33) brushes my brushes hardly show any wear even after years of use.

I've been shaving with brushes since 1974 and the only brushes I've 'worn out' were cheap drugstore boars that never properly dried and probably weren't cleaned properly. Used daily, after 4-6 years they would begin to lose significant numbers of hairs with each use. I think I also had the wooden handle swell and crack on one. Ever since I started using a rotation of 3 or more (now more like 33) brushes my brushes hardly show any wear even after years of use.
You’re definitely set for life!

When I first started shaving I bought a brush from a local drug store. It cost all of $2 and I did nothing to preserve it. I used it every day, mashed it when loading soap and lathering my face, and did not do a good job of cleaning it up. Nevertheless, that brush was more than 25 years old when I gave it to a relative. I bought a badger brush from a Hoffrtiz store in 1993. I used that brush almost exclusively until I joined B&B in 2010 when it became one of three brushes. I have taken better care of all my brushes and that Hoffritz brush is as good now as when I first bought it.

Hoffritz.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I received a Col. Conk boar brush in early 90‘s. I used it off and on for a year, then packed it away. Started using it again in early 2000’s for a while, then stopped and put it in a drawer. Found it and used it again then forgot about it. Found it again last year in a box, inside a shave mug all dry and crusted with soap. Thought it was toast. Gave it a good rinsing and I was amazed, super soft, fully functional brush. A really great 19mm face latherer. Im taking better care of it now. After 30 years it’s still got a lot of life left in it.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
All depends how a brush is treated by the owner. I have seen brushes that were 30 years old and looked excellent, but also some that were only 5 years old and looked horrible. A brush can last long, don't mash it into the lather bowl, and make sure you always clean out the cream and soap residues. Leaving these inside the knot, it will eventually break down the hairs and they will come out. Have seen my share of brushes with a lot of soap inside the knot, cutting the hair off always reveals to me how the brush was treated, but the owners told me they do a good job in rinsing.

The short answer is a quality brush that is treated well will last for decades.
When I got into this, I never would have guessed. My first brush was the Burma Shave from the grocery store. It was garbage. I'm guessing they use Elmer's Glue to hold the bristles in the handle. I soon ordered an Omega and a Semogue. I learned one of my brothers also uses a brush and soap, and his wife would buy him a new brush every year. (The Burma Shave I bought didn't last that long.) I kept the Omega and gave him the Semogue. If he has had the same experience I have had with the Omega, his wife never needed to buy him another brush.

All depends how a brush is treated by the owner. I have seen brushes that were 30 years old and looked excellent, but also some that were only 5 years old and looked horrible. A brush can last long, don't mash it into the lather bowl, and make sure you always clean out the cream and soap residues. Leaving these inside the knot, it will eventually break down the hairs and they will come out. Have seen my share of brushes with a lot of soap inside the knot, cutting the hair off always reveals to me how the brush was treated, but the owners told me they do a good job in rinsing.
I found B&B when I first started wet shaving, so this is where I have learned everything, including cleaning the brush after each use, leaving it out to dry, etc. I guess that's why mine is still good after 10 years. I would guess the most abusive thing I've done to my brush is pressing too hard when I dry it on a towel. I always wanted to dry it as much as I could. I probably didn't need to worry about it so much.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I believe it depends on some simple brush etiquette like rinsing your brush well after each shave to remove soap build ups from fatty acids, pre soak your brush in warm water if using natural hair bristles and you will enjoy them softened hairs more & prevent hair breakage IMO.
Don't store any type of brushes in a enclosed area(medicine cabinets) because they like to dry out in open air preventing mildew and mold.
Putting a damp brush bristles downward in a brush rack(gravity will force the water away from bottom) is a good idea but not as necessary with a synthetic brush. Open air drying is more important for natural bristle brushes.
Some folks like to use a hair shampoo on their brushes every once in a while to make them work a little more efficient for absorbing moisture and creating a better lather.
Never boil a brush or use harsh cleaning chemicals also helps the life of a brush.
These are just a bunch of short ideas of gatherings I remembered from different posts over the years that might help extend the life of the brush.

Last edited:
Treat them well and they last forever

And else I could try to revive this uh antique paint brush
And yeah I am going through 4 generations of family and this was most likely used by grandpa for some form of sign making (tamponeren) since the bristles are flat topped. Crates full of antique tools…

I believe it depends on some simple brush etiquette like rinsing your brush well after each shave to remove soap build ups from fatty acids, pre soak your brush in warm water if using natural hair bristles and you will enjoy them softened hairs more & prevent hair breakage IMO.
Don't store any type of brushes in a enclosed area(medicine cabinets) because they like to dry out in open air preventing mildew and mold.
Putting a damp brush bristles downward in a brush rack(gravity will force the water away from bottom) is a good idea but not as necessary with a synthetic brush. Open air drying is more important for natural bristle brushes.
Some folks like to use a hair shampoo on their brushes every once in a while to make them work a little more efficient for absorbing moisture and creating a better lather.
Never boil a brush or use harsh cleaning chemicals also helps the life of a brush.
These are just a bunch of short ideas of gatherings I remembered from different posts over the years that might help extend the life of the brush.

I disagree totally with the need to hang a brush upside down to dry. They dry just fine if you rinse it thoroughly and shake it out by setting it on its foot. Not storing a brush in the medicine cabinet hasn't proven to be necessary from my use either, but could be a problem where there is a lot of humidity.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I disagree totally with the need to hang a brush upside down to dry. They dry just fine if you rinse it thoroughly and shake it out by setting it on its foot. Not storing a brush in the medicine cabinet hasn't proven to be necessary from my use either, but could be a problem where there is a lot of humidity.
With my synthetics I don't hang the brush bristle pointed down(it still will be ok if a person does that) but what I will do with my natural haired brushes I like to hang them bristle down(it will not hurt anything) and when dried the next day I will stand it upright on its handle base. Also I like variety so I will use a different brush the next day and possibly use the brush prior for the next shave. I have no synchronized procedure because I have enough brushes for 3 weeks of a different one if I wanted to.
Synthetic brushes that are damp and but in a protective vented tube will mold and mildew because it happened to one of my cheap synthetic Chinese brush coming back from Mexico, I had the brush in the tube for 2 days because of travel to get back home & should of given it a hair dryer blower going over before leaving the hotel room.
Give the brush a quick hair blower dry if possible when traveling even when in a protective tube.
Repurpose things or ideas for shaving needs. - Copy.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom