What's new

Lifehack: Toast your bread with mayo and fry beef patties in mustard

I'm pretty hard headed when it comes to cooking; what used to be must always be. But that's not what being a home cook or chef is all about, you've gotta expand. Take inspiration from others, sure, but then blaze your own trail. I was pretty hesitant about both the mentioned factors, but man, oh man...

Baste some mayo on the bread as you would butter, and when cooking the patty, put some mustard on before you flip and let the other side fry

These tiny changes have resulted in the best patty melt or cheeseburger I've ever had. I try not to be too proud or arrogant, but this method drops jaws

Excuse the low quality background, I'm in a hotel for work

Does anyone else use this technique?

Attachments

• 20220320_211122.jpg
    20220320_211122.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 24
Nope, but I have a few friends that use mayo instead of butter for regular grilled cheese sandwiches and they rave about them. I really need to get off my butt and try this!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm pretty hard headed when it comes to cooking; what used to be must always be. But that's not what being a home cook or chef is all about, you've gotta expand. Take inspiration from others, sure, but then blaze your own trail. I was pretty hesitant about both the mentioned factors, but man, oh man...

Baste some mayo on the bread as you would butter, and when cooking the patty, put some mustard on before you flip and let the other side fry

These tiny changes have resulted in the best patty melt or cheeseburger I've ever had. I try not to be too proud or arrogant, but this method drops jaws

Excuse the low quality background, I'm in a hotel for work

Does anyone else use this technique?
Looks beautiful.

It definitely worked and may be the best I've ever had! Phenomenal. It did exactly as intended and created what seemed to be a better crust. The mustard fried patty is a hit, also, although I've been incorporating that for some time. I don't think I'll make a burger or patty melt any other way from now on.

Oh, and another food hack for the caramelized onions for those who may not know. First, start in a dry pan, don't add butter or liquid until they're getting dry. Low medium heat, don't rush the process. But, instead of butter, use a splash of apple cider vinegar or Mirin. It will add another depth of sweetness and zing.

Enjoy!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
It definitely worked and may be the best I've ever had! Phenomenal. It did exactly as intended and created what seemed to be a better crust. The mustard fried patty is a hit, also, although I've been incorporating that for some time. I don't think I'll make a burger or patty melt any other way from now on.

Oh, and another food hack for the caramelized onions for those who may not know. First, start in a dry pan, don't add butter or liquid until they're getting dry. Low medium heat, don't rush the process. But, instead of butter, use a splash of apple cider vinegar or Mirin. It will add another depth of sweetness and zing.

Enjoy!
Reminds me of recipes for onion marmalade made with caramelized onions and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Ive been using the mayo on grilled cheese for a few years now but the mustard on a Patty is something I'm going to have to try. Caramelized onions I start dry and then add Ghee, I'll try the Apple Cider Vinegar next time.

Me: My shaving forum says I should use mayo instead of butter on the outside of your next grilled cheese sandwich!
Mrs. Herrenberg: Yuck. Just make it the way you always make it.

Lol yes I almost didn't try it because I'm honestly not a big fan of mayo, and when I do want it, barely discernible amounts. It doesn't taste like mayo at all, but I think it gives it a better crust than butter. I may start using butter again to really see any difference.

We got any cardiologists here?

Until then...

20220326_210244.jpg

I’m not a cardiologist but I’m pretty sure to get any health benefits you have to mix the butter and mayo together then slather it on the bread. Just make sure you use unsalted butter, gotta keep the sodium intake in check.

Called them up earlier, receptionist answered very politely. They recognized me by name, then asked if I posted on Badger and Blade. I confirmed that I did.

"NO SPEAKA DA ENGRISH", then they hung up

Weird...

Top Bottom