What's new

Life with soap samples

Within the last couple of years my (adult) children have introduced me to the joy of tapas, essentially making a meal out of appetizers, and it's my favorite way to eat. Why commit to one entree when I can try a dozen?

In a similar way, after a year of shaving with Proraso and DR Harris and Cella - I decided to try some samples from Wholly Kaw and Mike's Natural and Stirling. What a hoot! While I'm sure the per shave cost is high, in absolute out-of-pocket dollars the expense is nearly trivial*, and every day I have my choice of a dozen excellent soaps! The WK requires some pre-work, scooping and pressing, but the Mike's and Stirling "short pucks" fit a container so don't even require that - and Stirling's labels can peel and restick so it all looks professional.

I may never buy a full puck again. Or, maybe a puck or two of my favorite WK for those days I just want to sleep through the shave...

Happy shaving,
Tim
*Compared to, for example, the four tires I bought this morning for $880.

That's what I've always done. I usually only buy a full sized soap if I can't get samples, or if I am sure I can commit to using it for a long time. I've never understood how people accumulate dozens and dozens of full sized soaps when it would have been easier and cheaper to have bought a bunch of samples.

Within the last couple of years my (adult) children have introduced me to the joy of tapas, essentially making a meal out of appetizers, and it's my favorite way to eat. Why commit to one entree when I can try a dozen?

In a similar way, after a year of shaving with Proraso and DR Harris and Cella - I decided to try some samples from Wholly Kaw and Mike's Natural and Stirling. What a hoot! While I'm sure the per shave cost is high, in absolute out-of-pocket dollars the expense is nearly trivial*, and every day I have my choice of a dozen excellent soaps! The WK requires some pre-work, scooping and pressing, but the Mike's and Stirling "short pucks" fit a container so don't even require that - and Stirling's labels can peel and restick so it all looks professional.

I may never buy a full puck again. Or, maybe a puck or two of my favorite WK for those days I just want to sleep through the shave...

Happy shaving,
Tim
*Compared to, for example, the four tires I bought this morning for $880.
I peeled the Coniferous label and put it on the nut can lid I use on my 50's Old Spice mug! :D It covered the print and looks great! Yes, I'd have to agree!
That's what I've always done. I usually only buy a full sized soap if I can't get samples, or if I am sure I can commit to using it for a long time. I've never understood how people accumulate dozens and dozens of full sized soaps when it would have been easier and cheaper to have bought a bunch of samples.
I'm starting to feel that way myself! A good way to experience a lot of different soaps, for less $$, and even less space (which is at a premium for some of us..)
Stirling samples may actually be cost effective, because you get so much.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
I'm finding that out now! I pressed 2 Stirling Coniferous samples into my 50's Old Spice mug, which filled it between half and a 3rd of the way full in the mug! The size of some pucks, maybe larger even! I have used it like 4 times, but you can't even tell..heck, it isn't even "smoothed" out by the brush yet!

I'm finding that out now! I pressed 2 Stirling Coniferous samples into my 50's Old Spice mug, which filled it between half and a 3rd of the way full in the mug!

I think others have said that a Stirling sample puck can last one month of daily shaves!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I bought $100+ of samples as I just started out, and was completely overwhelmed by all of the choices that were available. It's been a blessing and a curse though...blessing because I got to try a bunch of different soap makers, and a curse because I sometimes have a hard time deciding what to use :taz:

I sometimes just like the presentation of the full size tubs.
I think that you are not alone in this. With the time it takes to use soap, I could not imagine owning the quantity of soap that some collectors have. It finally dawned on me that using up the soaps was never part of the buying decision for them and that the whole package in addition to trying the soap is part of the collection.

I bought $100+ of samples as I just started out, and was completely overwhelmed by all of the choices that were available. It's been a blessing and a curse though...blessing because I got to try a bunch of different soap makers, and a curse because I sometimes have a hard time deciding what to use :taz:
+1. Although I haven't hit the 100 soap/cream sample mark, I do love the variety!! But which one to use!!

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Well. By that, I mean I keep about a dozen in the shave den cabinet … but, for better or worse, have about another 40-50 soaps stashed in ammo cans. Those dozen change out every couple months.

The only problem is when I get to the range, go to pull out a belt of 7.62mm linked, and 12 soaps come tumbling out ...

AA

I have bought both samples and full size tubs. In some cases samples have been a blessing as my face has reacted badly to some scents. In other cases, I just did not like the scent. If I like a sample, I will purchase a full size tub. Samples work OK with creams and soft soaps/croaps that can easily be scooped out of the sample container. Loading harder soaps is more difficult as there is insufficient surface area in the sample for adequate brush contact.

I find it harder to judge the true scent of soaps from samples. They are good enough to give you a general impression of the scent, but you need either a large sample like a few artisans provide or a full tub if you want to get an accurate scent analysis. Thus, I prefer purchasing full size tubs or pucks. There are only a couple of soaps that I regret purchasing full size.

Top Bottom