What's new

Life on the edge: Newbie with a slant bar...

I'm a noob after 25 years of electric shaving. Started with an EJ89 which is a lovely, kind razor, but gives close shaves with Astra SP and 3 passes.

However, I'm after something more....exotic, so I go straight for the Merkur 37C slant bar. It is well made, equal to the EJ, but the twist looks intimidating!

So I used the supplied Merkur blade, usual prep, Proraso red and well...nothing happened! No nicks, cuts, scares or anything. It feels harsher on the skin, but the end result isn't a closer shave than the EJ, which surprises the heck our of me. I wonder if it's technique?

Next, using the Astra SP with the great RSC shave2 cream. End result, a better shave, but still, not as close or as smooth as the EJ. I'm 3-passing with the 37C, as normal and keeping the same technique, i.e. not being scared of the razor.

Overall, the 37C is not as scary or as effective for me as I thought it would be. RAD strikes....feel the need for a Merkur adjustable!

Last edited:
I started with a Merkur 34c and then bought a 37c the slant gave me the same shave just more efficient, less passes and touch ups still like it but i still sought out more exotic and aggressive razors

Cobra classic se aggressive and exotic and expensive!!
Gillette slim adjustable more aggressive than slant cool vintage tto and cheap $25 for a nice clean one
Muhle r41 most aggressive de same price as slant
Futur cool exotic heavy havnt shaved with it yet just came in mail today I have read it can be dialed up pretty aggressive
YMMV!!!!

The slant gives a different shave, and not always a better shave. It does take some time to get use to though. Try some different blades, until you find your own best, and be sure to go lightly on the pressure, just allow the razor to do the cutting. I found this out the rather expensive way by getting 2 different slants, not using them the right way, and ending up selling both. Then after over 2 years I started looking at the slant again and purchased yet another. All were Merkur's, the first 2 were the regular model and the barberpole. Third time was the charm, because after looking into the slant, and taking my time to use it right, with no pressure, I was rewarded with a very nice shave. I learned to use it right, and now its a permanent part of my DE rotation.

I'm a noob after 25 years of electric shaving. Started with an EJ89 which is a lovely, kind razor, but gives close shaves with Astra SP and 3 passes.

However, I'm after something more....exotic, so I go straight for the Merkur 37C slant bar. It is well made, equal to the EJ, but the twist looks intimidating!

So I used the supplied Merkur blade, usual prep, Proraso red and well...nothing happened! No nicks, cuts, scares or anything. It feels harsher on the skin, but the end result isn't a closer shave than the EJ, which surprises the heck our of me. I wonder if it's technique?

Next, using the Astra SP with the great RSC shave2 cream. End result, a better shave, but still, not as close or as smooth as the EJ. I'm 3-passing with the 37C, as normal and keeping the same technique, i.e. not being scared of the razor.

Overall, the 37C is not as scary or as effective for me as I thought it would be. RAD strikes....feel the need for a Merkur adjustable!
Probably my all time favorite shave after over 50 years of shaving. Like my EJ but not even close.

+1 On trying different blades (Many use a Feather). If you do not get the results you were expecting right away, revisit it in a couple three months or so. I've found razors can improve if the spend time at the back of the drawer......:)

I'd love as well as fear this thing and badly wanting to try one. Due to the tight budget now planning to sell/trade three razors not currently in use (2 English Gillette TTOs and one Krona) as well as 2 Gillette boxes for a Slant.
There is a huge fear, respect and anxiety built up with in my self regarding this razor and I look at it in just the way I look at a menacing Lion.

Top Bottom