What's new

Life is Like a Box of Chocolate - The Story of a Single Ring

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
This week I found myself setting at my computer waiting for those last few moments of an Ebay auction to throw in my bid on this cased single ring.

View attachment 147189 View attachment 147190 View attachment 147191

I had decided at the outset of my razor collecting to stay mainly with razors that were ornate, came in ornate or unusual case, or both. This so far has worked well for me. It slowed down my RAD and has yielded a display case filled with some really nice razor eye candy. This also explains why as the seconds ticked by toward the end of this auction I kept changing my bid-to-be downward.
My mind kept churning with thoughts such as:

'This isn't that ornate'... 'Yeah but it's in really nice shape'... The cap needs some work'...' 'It will clean up just fine'....'It is an over one hundred year old razor'.... 'but it's fairly common'...... $82.... no.. $76..... no.... $66.... $66 it is....... NOW! And bid submitted and I won. At exactly $1 more than the last bidder's top bid. :blink::thumbup::blink:

And now as Paul Harvey would say for "the rest of the story"
on the next post (picture heavy).

Intrigued

The single ring arrived yesterday. And life really is like a box of chocolate. you never know what your going to get.

This time it was a rare 1908 King Gillette signature single ring. It looks as if it was never used, though there are a few pits on the cap.

$King Gillette group large.jpg
View attachment $King Gillette Guard.jpg View attachment 147202 View attachment $King Gillette case bottom.jpg

The cap did indeed clean up pretty good.

View attachment 147203

OMG . . . nice job on the minimal clean-up needed . . . but top congrats on the "signature" razor, complete with case and blade safes, for the meager cost of only $66 . . . it is a real beauty and really adds to your collection!!

Shaved with it yet? Hope you enjoy!!

Intrigued

Very nice, mine is one of my favorite razors

When I goggled to try and find out more about it, the posts you made about yours came up. I also saw pictures of your razor on mr-razor's web site. So now you and your razor are famous. :001_smile

Is a signature Single Ring as rare as a Double ring?

I've never seen one in person and yours cleaned up beautifully.

Surprising the seller neglected to show that kind of detail. They must have not realized the significance huh.

I have several Single Rings and have yet to shave with one.

I have used my other old types.

I just feel like I'm clumsy and would drop my nice razors. Main reason I sold my President aside from needing the money...

I never actually shaved with my Slim Adjustable Executive either.

Very nice set regardless. Great score.

I scored a Barbasol razor a while back and have used it once. I lean towards larger razors, but something about the two piece old style razors keeps me intrigued.

I really really want all the Big Fellows. I have four- two with boxes and have only shaved with one once...

Is there a one piece Gillette any larger than the Black handled SA? I know some of the British ones are heavier, but I want a TTO Gillette the size of a Big Fellow or Merkur barber pole.

SCHWEET!!

Congrats on a great looking razor.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose on ebay. I'd say it's safe to chalk this one in the win column.

Intrigued

Is a signature Single Ring as rare as a Double ring?

I've never seen one in person and yours cleaned up beautifully.

Surprising the seller neglected to show that kind of detail. They must have not realized the significance huh.

I have several Single Rings and have yet to shave with one.

I have used my other old types.

I just feel like I'm clumsy and would drop my nice razors. Main reason I sold my President aside from needing the money...

I never actually shaved with my Slim Adjustable Executive either.

Very nice set regardless. Great score.

I scored a Barbasol razor a while back and have used it once. I lean towards larger razors, but something about the two piece old style razors keeps me intrigued.

I really really want all the Big Fellows. I have four- two with boxes and have only shaved with one once...

Is there a one piece Gillette any larger than the Black handled SA? I know some of the British ones are heavier, but I want a TTO Gillette the size of a Big Fellow or Merkur barber pole.

SCHWEET!!

As near as I could find in my research, the signature single ring was only made for part of the year 1908. That is the year that Gillette started to use their diamond logo that you can see pictured on the case that this one came in. I'm only aware of 2, and maybe 3 of these, though there certainly could be a lot more out there. The seller of this razor has razors from the estate of a collector but is not a collector herself. She has learned a lot as she has sold off the collection and she did list the serial number.
I will not be shaving with this razor. I already have a lot of really nice razors to use.

As near as I could find in my research, the signature single ring was only made for part of the year 1908. That is the year that Gillette started to use their diamond logo that you can see pictured on the case that this one came in. I'm only aware of 2, and maybe 3 of these, though there certainly could be a lot more out there. The seller of this razor has razors from the estate of a collector but is not a collector herself. She has learned a lot as she has sold off the collection and she did list the serial number.
I will not be shaving with this razor. I already have a lot of really nice razors to use.

Shave with it once. Then put it up. You'll be glad you did.

SCHWEET!!

I think the 195 Bottom Dial may be one of the heavier one piece Gillettes.

Nice procurement. I was watching this but was not bidding since I have a single ring, but not as significant as this one. Glad it found a good owner!

Intrigued

Nice procurement. I was watching this but was not bidding since I have a single ring, but not as significant as this one. Glad it found a good owner!

Thanks GD for the kind words and everyone else for theirs also. :001_smile

Last edited:
Top Bottom