What's new

Lid on tight, loose or off?

I'm posing this question in regards to hard soaps and soft soaps that come in a jar...example Cella, Mike's, MdC, Proraso...Tabac's lid is loose so I have no choice there.

I saw on a video where a pretty popular you.tuber mentioned he puts the lid on but ajar until it dries. Any thoughts?

If the soap is really wet and I don't intend to use for a long time, then I would let it dry for several hours then put the lid on tight. If I plan to use the soap soon, I just put the lid on tight and don't worry about it.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I 3017 my soaps, so even leaving the lid off of Cella or Captain's Choice wouldn't bother me as I shave daily.

I use only MdC. Their instructions are to rinse the soap jar out after shaving (so leave no foam in it) and to leave it uncovered, actually they say preferably upside down to drain, until dry. As I use it - and only it - and I shave in the shower, I just rinse it out and leave the lid off of it always. I can't say that I bother turning it upside down as we are in SoCal, it's usually naturally warm and dry.. I THINK the idea is that the drier/harder the soap, you will load it more sparingly (and with MdC, at least, it takes very little) so it will last longer. I would think if you close it too soon/wet, you end up with softer soap that lasts less long. I suppose it could even mildew. Of course, if you weren't using it for a long time, once dry, you'd want to close it to keep essential oils from evaporating from the soap, I guess..

Craig

Don't worry about it. Seriously. It doesn't matter much one way or the other. I have done it every which way, lid on tight, lid on loosely, and no lid at all. I keep some soaps in mugs, open all of the time. Pre de Provence and RazoRock soaps, among others, have screw on lids which I screw back on after every use. Tabac, DR Harris and MWF all have loose fitting lids that just lie on top of the container. All are great soaps and all last a long time regardless of what kind of lid is used. Use 'em and enjoy 'em!

I usually leave the lid removed post shave, for around 12-24 hours, and then put the lid on again, fully tightened, or whatever the case may be (as you mentioned Tabac lid just sits on top). However, i use many different soaps in my rotation so im unlikely to use the same soap within a few days of each other, so this works for me.

If you only use 1 soap, then im not sure, i don't really think it matters, but if you rotate your soaps, then let them dry for a half day, or full day, and then apply the lid, until the next shave!

I use only MdC. Their instructions are to rinse the soap jar out after shaving (so leave no foam in it) and to leave it uncovered, actually they say preferably upside down to drain, until dry. As I use it - and only it - and I shave in the shower, I just rinse it out and leave the lid off of it always. I can't say that I bother turning it upside down as we are in SoCal, it's usually naturally warm and dry.. I THINK the idea is that the drier/harder the soap, you will load it more sparingly (and with MdC, at least, it takes very little) so it will last longer. I would think if you close it too soon/wet, you end up with softer soap that lasts less long. I suppose it could even mildew. Of course, if you weren't using it for a long time, once dry, you'd want to close it to keep essential oils from evaporating from the soap, I guess..

Craig

Interesting. I never saw those instructions. I have a jar of MdC that I has been in my rotation for two years now. After using it I put the lid back on - even if it is damp - and store it. This is one soap that lasts a long time.

Regardless of which soap I just used I leave the lid off for several hours with a fan blowing into the bathroom, this helps the brush to dry too. I never rinse it off because that wastes soap.

Don't worry about it. Seriously. It doesn't matter much one way or the other. I have done it every which way, lid on tight, lid on loosely, and no lid at all. I keep some soaps in mugs, open all of the time. Pre de Provence and RazoRock soaps, among others, have screw on lids which I screw back on after every use. Tabac, DR Harris and MWF all have loose fitting lids that just lie on top of the container. All are great soaps and all last a long time regardless of what kind of lid is used. Use 'em and enjoy 'em!

+1 to that. I just seal 'em up and they're dry and ready the next day.

I have many soaps and may go weeks before I'll use one again. I leave the lid ajar over night then close it up and choose another.

Top Bottom