What's new

Letting Your Brush Dry Between Uses

Hi guys, I got my first brush and used it for every shave for six months. I now have another better brush that I love and have been using it for every shave for about the last month or so. I happened to read on another post about having two brushes to allow one to dry ready for the next day and wondered if I should carry on the way I have been or should I allow my brush to dry out before it's used again?

If I continue with one brush am going to damage it or reduce it's ability to lather?

I do have a Rubberset 200 but that is not quite right for every day use.

I'll show you the two brushes to show how I've progressed and I'm a bit loath to go back to using the small brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

As you can see, no contest in the size, feel and ability of the brushes.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I find that the badger brushes usually dry in less than 24 hours but sometimes boar brushes need a bit longer.

Do fiber brushes also need to be rotated often?
I have a Muhle silver tip fiber brush that I love, any suggestions on what to get that is not so expensive?
thanks for the input

I find that the badger brushes usually dry in less than 24 hours but sometimes boar brushes need a bit longer.

This is my experience as well. I tend to use a boar one day and a badger the next. This way I get variety and the brushes get a chance to dry completely.

This is my experience as well. I tend to use a boar one day and a badger the next. This way I get variety and the brushes get a chance to dry completely.

Thanks guys, any thoughts if I just keep Silvertip the one in rotation? Should it be ok?

I use the same boar brush everyday and I don't have any issues of it not drying between uses. Mind you I do live in a warmer climate; maybe it would be different if I lived somewhere that experienced actual cold weather.

I use the same boar brush everyday and I don't have any issues of it not drying between uses. Mind you I do live in a warmer climate; maybe it would be different if I lived somewhere that experienced actual cold weather.

Well, I do experience actual cold weather, but maybe I should move to Aus to make sure my brush is in order :thumbup1:

I think Ouch offers a brush drying service, but he's probably booked until August.

Sounds like you are doing fine.

I do this too. Never had an issue. Climate here is dryish and we keep the heat turned up in the winter.

I live in the humid mid-atlantic region. I don't have any issues using a Rooney Size 2 brush daily.

Recently, I read the Wiborg site, and they recommend using a brush every other day.

Yep, this is what I do as well, not so much for any drying consideration (although the board does take longer to dry), but just because I like mixing it up :biggrin1:

I'm sure it'll be fine. Think of it this way, our grandfather's just used 1 brush every day. While I can see the advantage to a brush drying completely, I'm not sure it really matters in the end. I still want to get a synthetic brush for travel though, as it just wigs me out to think I'm putting a wet brush into my shave kit for the day.

Your dry time can vary seasonally with humidity.

I think before Christmas and just before your birthday the need for a means to dry your brush completely by acquiring a second luxurious badger will peak.

Traditionally men used only one brush daily so it should hold up with daily use. I have two brushes but grab the same one almost every day.

Top Bottom