What's new

Letterman to retire in 2015

The problem with guys like Lettermen is that they always needed to get political. This is what made Jay Leno enjoyable.

I'd rather watch Breaking Bad or Doctor Who or some random horror movie on Netflix than watch some snarky jerk interviewing celebrities and bands I don't recognize.

The problem with guys like Lettermen is that they always needed to get political. This is what made Jay Leno enjoyable.

Leno got political all the time; he made fun of EVERYONE, both sides of the aisle, the floor, ceiling, the ladies bathroom and everything in between. He wasn't always the funniest, but I always respected him for always doing his own thing and not giving two turds what what was popular or 'PC'. I cannot say the same for Letterman, Fallon, Stewart, or any other network stooge.

(in short, I completely agree)

Leno got political all the time; he made fun of EVERYONE, both sides of the aisle, the floor, ceiling, the ladies bathroom and everything in between. He wasn't always the funniest, but I always respected him for always doing his own thing and not giving two turds what what was popular or 'PC'. I cannot say the same for Letterman, Fallon, Stewart, or any other network stooge.

(in short, I completely agree)

Leno was not towing the liberal line... he had to go.

Wow. I had no idea many folks felt the same way I did about Letterman. I wonder who was watching him.

I am reminded of my he was so good in the early days though. Paul Shaffer held up, I thought. Seemed like a good guy back in the day. Seems that way now.

Watched Carson as I was growing up. I agree with the observation that he was inconsistent, but in fairness to produce enough content to hit a home run every night is a huge bill to fill. IMO, Carson was at his best interacting with the panel of guests, whom he did not cycle on and off like his heirs.

I also agree that Letterman was fresh and innovative when he came on the scene. Obviously when he moved to CBS and started wearing full suits his show moved towards becoming more formulaic. The few times that I've watched him in recent years, he seemed like an old guy going through the motions - simply following the formula.

I'm firmly a morning person now and not as much of a TV viewer, but the few times that I've seen Fallon - he seems fresh and sincere. I think this is a much better role for him than his Saturday Night Live news anchor.

I will miss The Top Ten List and Stupid Human/Pet Tricks, but nothing else about the show.

I won't miss Letterman, I rarely watched him anymore since he moved to CBS. And the sooner that Paul Schaeffer gets off the air, the better.

I was in the studio audience when Letterman had Howard Stern and Elvis's cook on. This was back in the 80's which is the time I used to watch the show.

I'm afraid that once Colbert changes formats, he won't be as funny. Obviously he can't turn the late show into an hour long "repor," so changes will have to be made.

I'm afraid that once Colbert changes formats, he won't be as funny. Obviously he can't turn the late show into an hour long "repor," so changes will have to be made.

He will have CBS mega bucks to hire high power production that will revolve around his persona, i think that he will be funnier. If he can make boring politics funny he can make anything funny. Colbert was not a political guy anyway, he grew into his position as needed. He was a comedian that first started at the Improv at Second City and understudied for Steve Carrell. He wrote comedy for TV shows which led him to a comedy bit a fake reporter at Daily show, he then went solo to do his Colbert report.

The fact that CBS made this decision so quickly leads me to think that it was planned long ago.

Well, when an aging super rich TV star is reaching 70 years of age and has been doing the same show for 30 plus years, i am sure that some form of planing has to be going on. Dave would love to spend more time with his kid and CBS would love to lure the best talent for the long haul, to compete with Fallon.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, when an aging super rich TV star is reaching 70 years of age and has been doing the same show for 30 plus years, i am sure that some form of planing has to be going on. Dave would love to spend more time with his kid and CBS would love to lure the best talent for the long haul, to compete with Fallon.

Thanks for making me feel old.

Thanks for making me feel old.

I dont even know your true age, i was referring to Letterman aging and being able to spend more time with his family. David Letterman is pushing 70 and his kid is just 7 years old, he wants to spend time with his only child. His show is 12 hours a day all year long.

I dont even know your true age, i was referring to Letterman aging and being able to spend more time with his family. David Letterman is pushing 70 and his kid is just 7 years old, he wants to spend time with his only child. His show is 12 hours a day all year long.
David Letterman will turn 67yo tomorrow, April 12. His son, Harry Joseph (named after DL's father) will turn 11yo on November 3, 2014.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just joking, Alex. I am 46- I was a teen in Letterman's heyday at NBC.

Top Bottom