What's new

Let's talk TV's. Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
to bad I cant watch it till Monday. Gotta have a cable outlet installed. stupid old homes

to bad I cant watch it till Monday. Gotta have a cable outlet installed. stupid old homes

You wont be disappointed. All of our TVs are Samsungs and its the only brand I will buy now. Some are quite old at this point, so old I cant remember when we bought them. 2 are LCDs and one is the plasma like yours.

At first we weren't too thrilled with it as it seemed a bit dark, but we brightened up the display with the settings and now its incredible.

IMO, for current technology plasma is the way to go. No doubt about it.

It looks like you got a great TV for a killer deal! I would recommend searching online for picture settings for that particular model. It won;t be awesome but will be much better than out of the box. For when and where you watch TV a plasma is the best option for sure. Enjoy it!!

I have the LG 55" LED 3D. It is a great picture and the 3D is fun and pretty good when I occasionally use it.I payed around 1000 as a package with the blu ray player. That was about a year ago. It is also cheaper to use than other 3D TV's out there because it uses the same glasses as in the theaters. I also have a brand new 42 inch LCD in my bedroom. I like the LED better.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I couldn't wait till Monday so I have 3 cables spliced together from the closest outlet. running out the bedroom, down the hall, in the bedroom, through the wall, in to the living room. its crazy but works!

I found a proper calibration for the model and adjusted it. looks way better than the default settings. the 720p is fine for me so far, especially without the lights on. there is a slight glare but not that bad. its just a lamp light so not very bright.

I do have an issue with it though. the picture gets pixelated at times. in different parts of the screen the motion will slow and go out of focus then clear up. kind of hard to explain. the sound gets distorted too then clears up, but not as often as the picture gets distorted. Right now I'm thinking its because it is getting a low signal from the cable being stretched and spliced with spliters through the house. but sometimes my other TV did it, but no where near as often as this one is.

also not sure if i should even have it on with it doing this, until i know for sure what's causing it. if it is the low signal could it mess up the TV by still watching it?

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
it's been a month with my 51" Samsung plasma TV. I'm really liking my decision so far. I saw the same TV at a different store recently for $489 on clearance. Made me feel good that I still paid less than that so I know i got a good deal.

I will say that all the reviews I read and everyone here was right about plasma being better in low light conditions. Meaning if you have a brightly lit room, either from the sun during the day or you don't like to watch tv in the dark, then you definitely don't want a plasma TV. I have 1 window in my room that lets a little bit of light in (the other 2 are covered with aluminum foil) even with blinds and curtain over it. It's about 14 feet away from the TV and it is enough during the day to cause a slight glare. It's not a big deal at all to me since it's so minimal but I do notice it when i'm not entirely focused on the program. At night I usually keep one lamp on and the glare is much more, but again if you are focused on your show you wont notice it. I do however turn the lamp off when I watch a movie or my favorite shows and that is where the TV is amazing. In the dark!

Black is black is black. From the LCD that I used to have to the plasma now I can say the plasma is a lot better for watching movies. (in the dark). It was really like a theater experience.

720p vs 1080p. My tv is a 720p and I honestly don't even know what a 1080p looks like since i've never had one so no loss there. all i can say is that 720p looks darn good to me!

Overall I'm very happy with the plasma. But it is not a TV for "lighted" conditions. My living room TV will HAVE to be LCD or LED.

Top Bottom