What's new

Let's talk TV's. Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED

You couldn't get me to take a plasma.

Large (thick), heavy, power hog, more heat than an electric fireplace, glare.

I went with an LCD, never looked back as the viewing angle is great, the colours are perfect, etc.

Today, I'd go with an LED though.

The reality is... you need to see the TV on display to judge it's colours, contrast and sharpness, but it also needs a proper source for the video... and the quality can vary a lot from brand to brand, from model to model, so getting one brand and model, might differ greatly from the next one.

I'll very much into technology (my home system is a >9 computers, >32TB system) and I compared the TVs for weeks before I made my choice... and surprise: it was far from being the more expensive model, it was a fairly medium range model (Sanyo), but the quality of the image was great compared to all the other TVs...

Then when I bought my second one for the bedroom, same thing, I compared quality and features and ended up with an Hitachi

All the stereotypes that you hear about the quality of LCD or LED compared to plasma, from most people, are just old cliches have heard from a friend of a friend from the earlier days.

Going with plasma is going with an older technology that just isn't worth it. I assure you that the people that bought them will say how great they are, etc. and they were... at the time they were bought, but now, time has moved on and LCD and even better, LED are a much better value overall, they'll outlast the plasma easily, and the colours will stay more accurate... but just the first things I stated... size, weight of these behemoths, the power consumed and the heat they give out...

And last note... sound quality... test it, or check the quality... my Sanyo has sound projecting capacity, so it's close to surround sound, without all the external speakers, it's simply amazing... some sounds, like a doorbell, we have to be watching the movie otherwise, we'd swear that it's the real doorbell that just rang behind us.

I vote plasma. Save a few (100) bucks and get a TV with very good picture quality and high degree of viewing angles. I was worried about them being power hungry until actually looking at the specs.

TV technology is still evolving rapidly, witness things like OLED screens, 3D, increased pixel resolutions beyond "high-def", and over-the-top internet based streaming. So I would not try to go too high end today, but save a little now with the idea that you may want to upgrade sooner in the future.

My brother has 2 Plasma TV's. The best picture I have ever seen (both Panasonic).
My Dad has an LED. I don't like it at all. It looks too "crisp" and "digital" if that makes any sense.
I have an LCD. A really old one at that. I like it well enough.

My only advice is....go with whatever your eyes like the best. Nothing else matters. You are the one who has to watch it after all.

You couldn't get me to take a plasma.

Large (thick), heavy, power hog, more heat than an electric fireplace, glare.

Really? My 50" Samsung plasma is less than 1.5" thick and not that heavy. Two people can easily move it. Might want to tell Samsung their plasma TVs aren't supposed to be thin.

I went with an LCD, never looked back as the viewing angle is great, the colours are perfect, etc.

But proven better on Plasmas.

Today, I'd go with an LED though.

The reality is... you need to see the TV on display to judge it's colours, contrast and sharpness, but it also needs a proper source for the video... and the quality can vary a lot from brand to brand, from model to model, so getting one brand and model, might differ greatly from the next one.

And Plasmas have better black levels and contrast. It's easy enough to see that at any store.

I'll very much into technology (my home system is a >9 computers, >32TB system) and I compared the TVs for weeks before I made my choice... and surprise: it was far from being the more expensive model, it was a fairly medium range model (Sanyo), but the quality of the image was great compared to all the other TVs...

Then when I bought my second one for the bedroom, same thing, I compared quality and features and ended up with an Hitachi

All the stereotypes that you hear about the quality of LCD or LED compared to plasma, from most people, are just old cliches have heard from a friend of a friend from the earlier days.

You can see in certain LCDs and LEDs about issues with uneven lighting, blacks that tend more towards grays when comparing them against something like a Panasonic plasma (or even old Pioneer Premiere. People still crave those TVs because of the quality)

Going with plasma is going with an older technology that just isn't worth it. I assure you that the people that bought them will say how great they are, etc. and they were... at the time they were bought, but now, time has moved on and LCD and even better, LED are a much better value overall, they'll outlast the plasma easily, and the colours will stay more accurate... but just the first things I stated... size, weight of these behemoths, the power consumed and the heat they give out...

OLED is what would replace a plasma for me. I'm going to need a second TV and I'm looking at a 55"-60" Panasonic or Samsung plasma because the picture is just so much better. Talk to pretty much any cinephile and they'll say the same thing. A properly calibrated plasma TV will pretty much smoke any LCD or LED any day of the week. The comparable 60" Samsung LED and plasma are very close in size, not too different in weight, and the power consumption is only two tenths or a watt more.

And last note... sound quality... test it, or check the quality... my Sanyo has sound projecting capacity, so it's close to surround sound, without all the external speakers, it's simply amazing... some sounds, like a doorbell, we have to be watching the movie otherwise, we'd swear that it's the real doorbell that just rang behind us.

Sound quality should be saved for receivers.

I find plasmas to be the best. They have a faster response time and the colors are more true.
Check out this LG http://www.tvrevs.com/lg-50pa6500-50-inch-1080p-600-hz-plasma-hdtv/

I have two LG plasmas and have never had a problem. Very happy

My tax refund is going towards a new TV. I've been watching a 32" LCD for 7 years and recently sold it. So now I am without a TV and ready to buy.

But what technology should I go for?

I want a 50"-55" screen size. I'll be sitting about 10-12 feet away so the size screen I want should be somewhat ideal given the standard rule (3x the inches away as the size of the TV)

I've seen great prices on Plasma (51" Samsung for $600). I've seen high prices on LED (55" LG for $999) and about the same for LCD.

If a plasma TV is $400-$500 cheaper for roughly the same size as a LED/LCD why wouldn't I want to do it? These are basic TV's as well, no smart TV, no 3D, both 1080p.

Any input from plasma owners? any TV gurus here that can way in on the pros/cons of LED/Plasma/LCD

I'm admittedly a bit on the cheap side, but I also insist on having a value based product that will last. I ended up with 720p plasma's for both of our TV's. To be honest unless standing in the appliance store looking at 50 TV's side by side, you'll never know the difference. To each his own, but I saved enough to purchase the second TV and couldn't be happier. Both are Panasonic, one 42", one 50".

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i've heard a lot of "once you set it up right". what's that mean? just adjusting the settings? contrast? brightness? or something else?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i found a really good deal on a Samsung plasma. 51" on sale $479.99 plus I can save 10% so around $431.

drawbacks... it is only 720p. my 32" was 720p and I was happy with it, but it was only a 32".

is 1080p really going to justify passing up this deal and paying $300-500 more??

i found a really good deal on a Samsung plasma. 51" on sale $479.99 plus I can save 10% so around $431.

drawbacks... it is only 720p. my 32" was 720p and I was happy with it, but it was only a 32".

is 1080p really going to justify passing up this deal and paying $300-500 more??

I have a 720p and no one can tell the difference but my checkbook.

I don't think you will see a dramatic difference when sitting 12 ft away. Don't take this as fact without verifying, but I believe most of the content transmitted over cable/satellite is in 720p anyway, not sure what percentage of broadcast TV is in 1080p. I would be hard pressed to pay 75-100% more for the 1080p upgrade, I would want to bank the difference as a down payment on some in-the-future 100" OLED TV. :drool:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i'm thinking more and more that it's too good a deal to pass up. and its not THAT expensive where I just wasted $1200 if its not the best picture after all.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I went with the 720p 51" Samsung plasma. Simply because of the price. $466 out the door with tax.

from this thread and some other research i think i'll be happy with it. I don't watch blue-ray, i don't play video games. I watch simple TV and rent movies ondemand occasionally.

i had to lay it flat for the ride home though for bout 20 min. always heard its not good to lay plasma flat but I had no choice.

Great deal. :thumbup1: I believe you will be happy with its performance for regular TV and on-demand (which are often compressed streams and/or not 1080p). After watching some sports and a movie let us know what you think.

Unless you plan on spending more money to have your TV professionally calibrated and are "in" to the hobby, 720p will give you a beautiful picture. Those in to the hobby watch shows as much for the show as assessing the picture. Similar to high end audio, listening to accuracy more than content. Not good for the OCD.

I went with the 720p 51" Samsung plasma. Simply because of the price. $466 out the door with tax.

from this thread and some other research i think i'll be happy with it. I don't watch blue-ray, i don't play video games. I watch simple TV and rent movies ondemand occasionally.

i had to lay it flat for the ride home though for bout 20 min. always heard its not good to lay plasma flat but I had no choice.

The vast majority of content aired for broadcast goes out at 720P. You'll be fine. Enjoy you're new baby.

Top Bottom