What's new

Let’s talk Tanifuji

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
They’re not suspect, those Japanese market Westerns are fine, but they may not be the same razor that you’re expecting. Certainly the Henckels ‘V’ series was 1/4 hollow/near wedge.

I don’t think that the stones were a part of the preference for heavier grinds, just heavy beards. Same in the West if you buy a razor marked ‘Pour barbe dure’ or ‘Starken Bart’, you’ll get a very similar razor to the Japanese preferences.

Japanese razors are really the best deal going, you can find lots of new to near new razors at the same or better price points than contemporary razors, the steel is likely better, and you don’t have to worry about duds.

This one is on its way to me now. Reading all these comments, i couldn’t resist. Looking forward to giving it a whirl!

Now it’s time for GRUME January.

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That razor should clean up nicely.It has some slight wear on the heel.But once honed it should shave very well.If you are not fimilar with honing .I would send it out to doc226.When cleaning up razor be careful if you use a Dremel tool they can over heat the blade and remove the temper needed to hold a good edge.I prefer to sand my blades by hand and polish by hand.
Congrats on the Tanifuji .I think you will love the razor once she is made shave ready.

Well they finally arrived..... yes “they”.
Shamefully I ended up getting two.

the first is a Cape 650. Looks like 1/2 hollow, about 13/16.
image.jpg

and the second is a Cape but made by Manaslu 1/4 hollow also about 13/16.
image.jpg

I had settled on the 650 but then saw the Manaslu and I have been looking for a 1/4 hollow so I just went ahead and did it.

Steve56

Well they finally arrived..... yes “they”.
Shamefully I ended up getting two.

the first is a Cape 650. Looks like 1/2 hollow, about 13/16.
View attachment 1055838

and the second is a Cape but made by Manaslu 1/4 hollow also about 13/16.
View attachment 1055840

I had settled on the 650 but then saw the Manaslu and I have been looking for a 1/4 hollow so I just went ahead and did it.

There’s only one thing better than a M500....

4DE92051-87E0-4DDF-A119-C6D0B6D150E4.jpeg

^^^^Well played^^^^

I haven’t tried to hone the 650 yet
but the m500 is stupendously hard. Far harder than anything that I’ve ever used before. I wonder how it compares to heljestrand Swedish steel.

I have a long and narrow Ozuku that gives me fantastic edges (I like very very sharp edges with a heavy grind)
but it’s limitations in width and the
difficulty of that YSS2 steel was giving me edges that weren’t as homogeneous as I would like.

So I ordered a 3inch wide stone to help tame this Japanese steel.

Also I’ll probably need a test razor of appropriate hardness so as to not wear out the prize while trying to get a feel for it.

Steve56

About the same I’d say. Y.S.S.2 (Yasuki Silver Steel 2) is Hitachi White Steel #2, a pure high carbon steel for fine edged tools. There is also a White #1 that’s harder but maybe not so durable for thin straights. You can get it fairly easily in knives which are much, much, thicker than SR blades.

Japanese blue steels are tougher and more wear resistant, but this is a knife steel mostly, especially the Aogami Super Steel, which I believe has a little vanadium in it?

Anyway, a Shapton Glass HR makes quick work of super hard steel because that's what they were designed to do.

You have a very fine razor!

A Cape with Tanifuji Kanji is an excellent find. A little bit of devil spit from what I can tell, maybe just a reflection. A little hone wear. An excellent find non the less… I’m pretty sure I need one too. Enjoy!

A Cape with Tanifuji Kanji is an excellent find. A little bit of devil spit from what I can tell, maybe just a reflection. A little hone wear. An excellent find non the less… I’m pretty sure I need one too. Enjoy!

Thanks! Yeah, it’s a little splotchy here and there, but not too bad - some of it is just dust reflection. That spit should be something that can be sanded out, maybe? I’m reading up on that now.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tanifuji.Red.Kit.Mondiall.Soap&Brush.640JPG.JPG

This razor's been a bear to get right. It's now shave ready and very nice, but I think not totally maxed out. Still, I'm very pleased with it finally.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Received this in the post today - my first real straight razor. Definitely heavier than the shavette! Dying to try this out tonight but I won't be receiving a strop until Friday, apparently. Ah well - I look forward to the weekend shave.

Aargh. This was not shave ready. Did a pass down my lathered cheek and it obviously wasn’t cutting. Tried the forearm hair test and nada. Plucked a stray eyebrow hair and the blade just pushed it aside without cutting. Ended up doing the shave with my shavette holding a blade on its fourth tour of duty (and now retired with honors).

I’m assuming this isn’t something a few laps on the strops will fix. Off to a hone?

Top Bottom