What's new

Let’s talk Tanifuji

I picked up a NOS Wogen on that auction site a few months ago...

F2DDB0A3-4B02-4313-B081-2D6ADABCC686_1_105_c.jpeg
27933005-B8FC-4AF6-A31C-8D4EA43EC97C_1_105_c.jpeg

Just lucky purchase this razor, I knew nothing but these razors,,,had 5 vintage razors to choose from and took a chance and all I can say is wow
Upon receiving razor I wonder if it had a edge but was told was sharp and was recently finished on finishing stone natural

I did a test shave and was blown away as I was just testing edge few stones and could not stop, amazing bbs, this immediately dethroned my brand new Thiers Issard in shave feel, shave was unreal

Can you guys help me I’d this art piece
I first thought scales were plastics but I’m thinking some other material ( any help) has thin line silicone layer over what’s scale material
Linden 127 Silver Steel
proxy.php

I need to play the lottery as this razor is marvelous, glad she was perfectly honed as I would have ruined this vintage gem [emoji184],,,( newbi )thx you helping me and forum members.
I’m perplexed scales and what they made of
Steel Silver Steel
[emoji3]

Just lucky purchase this razor, I knew nothing but these razors,,,had 5 vintage razors to choose from and took a chance and all I can say is wow
Upon receiving razor I wonder if it had a edge but was told was sharp and was recently finished on finishing stone natural

I did a test shave and was blown away as I was just testing edge few stones and could not stop, amazing bbs, this immediately dethroned my brand new Thiers Issard in shave feel, shave was unreal

Can you guys help me I’d this art piece
I first thought scales were plastics but I’m thinking some other material ( any help) has thin line silicone layer over what’s scale material
Linden 127 Silver Steel
proxy.php
Are you sure that the razor in your picture is a Tanifuji?
Can you send a better picture of the brand marks on the
shank/tang (preferably both sides)?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I need to play the lottery as this razor is marvelous, glad she was perfectly honed as I would have ruined this vintage gem [emoji184],,,( newbi )thx you helping me and forum members.
I’m perplexed scales and what they made of
Steel Silver Steel
[emoji3]

The Japanese never used anything but plastic in recent memory, except for a limited edition Tanifuji (10 of them IIRC) commemorating Iwasaki that were in ivory. Those are plastic.

Thx u , I felt luck, but guess my luck ran out, lol,,,
One scale little swollen but not major,blade appears centered, but care is needed closing , as blade is heavy beast , no blemish on scales

I tightened up center pin by light taps , works good but little care needed,

Unique looking scale material they do not feel plastic
Nice weight balance
Only had one shave thus far and it was a test only to check edge on face and upon using could not stop and finished shave total bbs, boy the razor,
( silver steel and a perfect honed edge) was the best shave I ever experienced (honemaiester level edge),, this was definitely a high end barber tool, gripping it felt like razor melted, gelled in hand positions automatically, the edge / length of blade was outstanding, Atg, was effortless,, I felt razor was going to cut me just felt natural on face
I had 5 razors to choose from and the others were better lookers but, something stuck out about this razor, versus others and knew nothing about these masterpieces, blade 77 inches
What drew me was the Silver Steel as my only razor and first razor is the C135 carbon steel, TI
Found this about Silver Steel

Also reading this thread and researching/needing info on master, blade by T. Tanifuji

Razor is a Art Piece , guess I should play lottery [emoji3]
Lots of beautiful razors in this thread
[emoji3]

Additional info as I am thinking these scales may not be plastic but may be actually ivory
Interesting article
Verified by my vendor razor made by T tanifui as indicated

proxy.php

Well the article you show is the one Steve was talking about. 10 razor made for Tanifujis retirement, razors made out of tamahagane steel. Even the "regular" tamahagane Iwasakis have plastic scales. In all these years I have found 2 Japanese razors scaled in bone, everything else is plastic.
I agree with Steve, scales look plastic to me. You could provide some detailed close pics, not blurry, from all angles.
Reason why I think plastic.
A. Not a high end model.
B. Lines appear to run pretty straight from one end to the other, similar to faux ivory I see on brushes.
C. Collars

Honestly if you have other ivory razors then ivory is pretty easy to tell. I was oiling an ivory box and a bunch of razors last night and yeah you wont mistaken those scales for plastic, the look, the feel in hand, it's completely different.

Thx you and Steve for your valuable information on this razor and guess was my wishful thinking [emoji3]

Wow never heard of that type of steel before on the masters razors
Amazing history and razors these masters created

Thx u
🪒
[emoji3]

Verified by my vendor razor made by T tanifui as indicated

proxy.php
I found the original vendor's page on your razor. However, I am still puzzled.
Can someone point me to where I can find that particular brand mark (three T)
on the tang on another Tanifuji? I am also curious by the Linden branding on the box.

Last edited:
Well the tang says Tanifuji in latin so it's difficult to argue it isn't. This one was sold on Etsy by a seller from Japan that had good reputation, also sold as Tanifuji. And yes scales are plastic.

il_1588xN.1566180605_h17f.jpg
il_1588xN.1566180867_fuh6.jpg

Top Bottom