What's new

Lets talk pillows.

I will look up the thread. I’m almost sold. I have some pretty bad arthritis in my neck and a bad pillow aggravates it terribly.

I posted a thread on here a few years ago about it. You can look up that thread for more details, but the quick and dirty:

The cons: yes, it does make some crunching noise when you shift around, but it isn't loud and you quickly get used to it. I don't even hear it any longer. It is also quite heavy.

The pros: infinite adjustment is possible, to get it just right under your neck. Once you adjust it to where you want it, it stays there. Maximum support where you need it. No deflating or flattening. I have a bunch of herniated discs in my neck, and this pillow has helped keep me pain free for years.

I would suggest a latex pillow. Won't break down or compact like foam, and seems to be a bit cooler.

For back sleeping, I use a triangle under the knees and a dog bone under my neck. Alternatives to the dog bone are an inflatable u-shaped car thing, or a rolled up towel. Anything that supports my neck at the right height but doesn't lift my head. Positioning is something to get used to. Could be way downalmost on the back, or something thinner under the flexible part of the neck.

For side side sleeping, there's no one pillow. Every sleeping position wants my head at a different height. The best pillow for this is the buckwheat hull because it's totally adjustable. I can set it to support the temple, cheekbone, back of the jaw behind the ear, etc, and make a hole so my ear doesn't get crushed. It's mostly easy to manipulate, and locks in place one you put weight on it. The main problem is they're useless if you move around a lot. Even though I normally sleep like a log--as in I swear 4 nights out of 5 I wouldn't spill a glass--that fifth night I do need to move a bit, and the buckwheat pillow is unforgiving hard in that case.

So I have several other pillows, including adjustables. Semi-hard foam, soft foam (not memory), latex, adjustable wool balls & shredded memory foam (like the my pillow), and a layered thing. They're at different heights, and I select whatever's most comfortable for how I need to position myself. And, yeah, I might wake up later and swap to another pillow.

No way I could just have one. (Maybe it's a B&B thing.)

I buy foam ones at Costco, Marshall's. $8 to $12 each. Toss em after a year or so.

My true love just said she wants two new pillows. I informed her the current ones came from Costco.

"Can you buy two, or do you have to purchase sixteen?"

Darn funny, particularly coming from a woman who hasn't yet had her morning coffee.

Top Bottom