What's new

Let’s Talk Mustard!!!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've never had Colman's mixed with water. My father always used whiskey, or occasionally beer. I've always done the same.

One of my dearest friends is Scottish. He was fixing me dinner one night and asked me to make some mustard. I asked if he had vinegar. He said he wanted English mustard, not French, and used water and dry mustard.

have you guys ever tried russian brown mustard? it's colman's on steroids, really good but cleanses your sinuses real quick. the best ones are usually in unremarkably packaged. If there's a russian store near you, and you like strong mustard, should give it a try. Goes with fried pork, sausages excellently.
It's not available here so I go with Colman's. The kids like the yellow one. (it's called "mild american" here)

proxy.php

Ah, I do love the Internet. Just ordered some Russian mustard from eBay. It should be here by...October 19. Well, OK, I like the Internet.

have you guys ever tried russian brown mustard? it's colman's on steroids, really good but cleanses your sinuses real quick. the best ones are usually in unremarkably packaged. If there's a russian store near you, and you like strong mustard, should give it a try. Goes with fried pork, sausages excellently.
It's not available here so I go with Colman's. The kids like the yellow one. (it's called "mild american" here)
Is there any you especially would recommend, in case I would try to find online?

I love a good sweet hot mustard, my mom makes some that is fantastic (but she doesn't make it often). Lusty Monk has great mustards, and Beaver has good mustards.

For yellow mustard, anything like French's, Royale, Heinz is fine, but hot mustard is a whole different ball game. Most of the pre-mixed jarred mustards are simply not spicy enough. I usually have a tin of Colman's or Keen's English mustard on hand and then mix it with any Dijon mustard when I need it.

I've never had Colman's mixed with water. My father always used whiskey, or occasionally beer. I've always done the same.

Mixing it with water will be time sensitive as the level of spiciness will fade after 15-30 minutes, adding a little vinegar will stabilize it for longer use.

Well, the lettering system isn't in my flavor, but the brand looks like Maxeert, and the name looks somewhat like like RopyN4A. Seller claims it's #1 in the Russian market.
I found it but decided to not order because it contains preservatives. Instead I ordered Столичная.

Is there any you especially would recommend, in case I would try to find online?
Zakuson (закусон) is a safe bet, they have other spicy stuff as well, like horseradish with beet. Haven't tried it yet but I definitely would... maybe you can order online.
The best one I had was kicking me in the face real good, but I have no idea what brand was it (or homemade?), a russian workmate brought it to the office, I had it with beef tongue and it was amazing.

Zakuson (закусон) is a safe bet, they have other spicy stuff as well, like horseradish with beet. Haven't tried it yet but I definitely would... maybe you can order online.
The best one I had was kicking me in the face real good, but I have no idea what brand was it (or homemade?), a russian workmate brought it to the office, I had it with beef tongue and it was amazing.
I wonder what story is behind Закусон. They seem to have Russian text on their jars but still they are made in Canada. Is it something they export to Russia or why do they have Russian text?

I wonder what story is behind Закусон. They seem to have Russian text on their jars but still they are made in Canada. Is it something they export to Russia or why do they have Russian text?
maybe they are producing it for the russian population of North America? I haven't the foggiest, to be honest, just guessing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Mixing it with water will be time sensitive as the level of spiciness will fade after 15-30 minutes, adding a little vinegar will stabilize it for longer use.
I wonder how it would work sprinkled on top, dry.

I wonder how it would work sprinkled on top, dry.
The powder got no spiciness at all until it is combined with cold water and the chemical reaction has kicked in. The warmer the water is, the less spiciness. If the food is juicy enough and not too hot, it might give a bit of spiciness. Also whatever powder is left in the saliva in your mouth will have a reaction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom