What's new

Let’s Talk Mustard!!!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
These.

1626564824534.png

Or Zatarain's Cajun, Or (mentioned already) Mr. Mustard. There are maybe 8 in there .. including a bottle of good old French's Yellow. Plus three types dried in the spice cabinet (I don't use enough hot Chinese to keep hydrated, sorry)

If you are a mustard connoisseur, you owe it to yourself to visit The National Mustard Museum in Middleton, WI just west of Madison. There is a museum which contains over 5000 mustards from around the world, both modern and vintage.

For further information, see:

That’s awesome! LOL. I would totally geek out to that.

I mean, I did visit the Heinz Ketchup museum in Pittsburgh and loved it! 🤪

Hey all,

I am a pretty traditional guy when it comes to mustard. I really like the standard yellow stuff from French’s or similar. It tastes great and goes with everything.

What mustards are you using these days?

I am thinking about pairings with hot dogs, hamburgers, corned beef on rye, etc.

Any interesting recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Rambling reply, we keep regular (French's type) for dogs/burgers, Dijon (on grilled cheese sandwiches or spiraled ham and in salad dressing), German (spicy for brats & knockwurst), and honey mustard (spiraled ham & burgers). We aren't mustard elitists, we just started trying other types the oldest being Dijon. Can't recall a time that wasn't around. But there are many different Dijon's and we've had both fine ground seeds (like Grey Poupon) and course ground, they taste different. The real surprise was seeing the tip to try Dijon on grilled cheese, delicious. We don't keep any Chinese hot mustard around. It's made it up from powder anyway when needed (at restaurants) and we don't have spare ribs that often. At the end of the day, mustard is a seasoning so use it to taste.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For Hamburgers, Hotdogs or ham sandwiches honey mustard makes it right. Frenches if no honey mustard is a round as a backup.

A couple of experiences have forced me into really trying to match up mustard with what I'm using it for.

My go-to sandwich mustard is Coleman's. Just a perfect choice when you want a straightforward yellow mustard with bite.

Finally finding a source for Weisswurst as good as I had in Munich forced me to find a mild mustard to complement it. Edmond Fallot Dijon is perfect.

When I want more character than bite, Sierra Nevada Porter Brown is perfect. Especially on ham-and-egg breakfast sandwiches. Works well for hot dogs, too.

For hot leberkase sandwiches, I like Inglehoffer's basic mustard with whole seeds. I think there's a bit of sweetness there.

had a jar of Founders Dirty Bastard I had been saving for a special occasion. snack stix made today so it got opened.

pleasantly surprised with how much i like this stuff. not too over the top on the twang. plenty of vinegar and salt. perfect for me.

20210718_211828.jpg

will have to purchase more of this one!!!!!

camo

Oh man I love mustard. All kinds. My fav is Coleman’s which comes as dry powder and you mix it with water. Straight from a jar I love dijon. But my fav from a bottle is probably Mendocino Hot & Sweet:

Mendocino Mustard - https://www.mendocinomustard.com/

You can buy Coleman's as a prepared mustard too. I go through a lot of it (small jars), so I ordered a 6 pack from Bezos Central. It arrived all the way from England.

You can buy Coleman's as a prepared mustard too. I go through a lot of it (small jars), so I ordered a 6 pack from Bezos Central. It arrived all the way from England.
Oh interesting I never knew that good to know! I’ve only seen it on the shelves here in powdered form.

I love mustard, except for plain yellow mustard like French's. I am particularly fond of stone ground brown mustard with or without horseradish.

If you are a mustard connoisseur, you owe it to yourself to visit The National Mustard Museum in Middleton, WI just west of Madison. There is a museum which contains over 5000 mustards from around the world, both modern and vintage.

There is also a store that sells over 500 different mustards from every mustard-loving country in the world. You can purchase all the mustards that you can find in a well-stocked grocery store plus mustards that are normally only found locally in the country of origin. It is a mustard lover's dream.

For further information, see:

I live only a couple of hours away, but due to the pandemic, it is been a few years since I have visited the museum and stocked up on unusual types of mustard. That might be a great trip to plan for late summer or early fall.
How fun does that look!? And I love the art work on all those vintage mustard tins. Reminiscent of orange/fruit cake artwork which I also love. I didn’t realize there were so many mustard heads out there!🤣

Top Bottom