What's new

Let's talk multitools

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a Leatherman Charge TTi... it's no longer in their lineup. I think the most significant improvement I've seen when I looked at their current offerings is the changeable wire cutters. I'm not sure if that's because they aren't as good (hardened) as they once were so they can no longer hold an edge... or if it's a true improvement.

I don't take it with me all the time, but it's in my Rugged Gear Cart I use when I'm out in the nature preserves etc. here in Florida, taking wildlife photographs. It's come in handy a few times. I just carry a folding Syderco Native Spear Point knife with me all the time. I did leave it home on our trip to Bali and took my Mannix 2, secured in our checked luggage. I hate putting valueable stuff in checked luggage but I don't like being without a knife.

My grandfather gave me my first pocket knife on my 6th birthday. I was thinking it was my 5th birthday... but after a mind search, I remember the house we lived in at the time... so 6th. <eg> Getting your first pocket knife was sort of a right of passage in Montana. Almost all of the kids in our neighborhood had one. I'm only without one if I forget to transfer it to a clean set up pants or shorts.

I had one of these, a Gerber 400 compact Sport for a long time-- not sure where it is at the moment. I don't think the quality was exceptionally high but the one-handed opening was indispensable when I was working as a technical director in high school theater. I made a lanyard that I could loop over my wrist and just let it hang when I was up on a lift messing with lights and rigging and the like. And it was light and the screwdriver attachments were actually ergonomic enough to use. The tiny flat screwdriver was fine enough that I could tighten screws on my glasses, too.

Later somebody bought me a Gerber Suspension which looks cool, but it is heavy, clunky, and not nearly as easy to use, especially not one-handed. Unfortunately that's the only one I can find at the moment.
resource_gerberamericas_05500.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I used to be heavily into multitools, and for many years they were an essential part of my daily function. I sold of most of what I had accumulated in the first few years of my disability, but still have several left which I am loathed to part with.

20221123_012619.jpg

This isn't quite all of them, but of the 11 "full sized" tools shown here, only 4 are unmodified. Victorinox Spirit X and Spirit RT, and Leatherman Sideclip and Juice KF4.

20221123_012947.jpg

I'll take some pictures of the modified tools, and upload them separately. I spent a lot of time and money tweaking them to my requirements. I also have a couple of other tools that are in specific places. I'll take photos of those separately too, so I can be sure that they immediately go back where they live.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Heavily modified Gerber MP600

20221123_015308.jpg

This is the first of several tools that I'll be showing, which are modified to knifeless. I always preferred using a separate standalone pocket knife, partly for ergonomics, but also so that I could better pair the capabilities and legalities of the blade, in accordance with what the day held in store (in terms of location and activities undertaken).

The arm with the metric rule, contains scissors, crosshead and small flat drivers, and a combination bottle and can opener.

20221123_014927.jpg

The arm with the imperial rule has saw, tweezers, wide flat driver, medium flat driver, all, and diamond file (with standard file on the reserve side).

20221123_014850.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Heavily modified Leatherman Wave

20221123_021304.jpg

This tool has been through several modification configurations over the years, before I settled on this one. Internally, I replaced the scissors and bit drivers, with the dedicated drivers from the zytel line (Blast etc), and ground a driver into a rudimentary awl.

20221123_021230.jpg
20221123_021230.jpg
20221123_021230.jpg

Externally, I kept the original diamond file and saw, but replaced the blades with a larger pair of scissors than the Wave usually has, and a pry tool.

20221123_021102.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
SOG Powerlock

IMG_20221123_022059.jpg

This is (was?) sold as a reconfigurable tool anyway, so modification was easy. However, as it stands, one of the arms is empty, but I do have tools for it kicking around somewhere. The other arm has wire stripper and a bit driver that I modified from something else.

IMG_20221123_022201.jpg

This tool doesn't get carried, but it does come in useful occasionally when I need pliers with a bit of extra gripping power from the compound leverage it offers.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Heavily modified Leatherman Fuse

20221123_022911.jpg

In truth, I'm struggling to remember what tools came on a standard or knifeless Fuse. However, the limited edition powdercoat version came with plain stainless tools, not black oxide, so everything on this tool is from something else.

One arm has saw, scissors and crosshead driver.

20221123_022945.jpg

The other arm has large flat head, mini precision driver (reversible), awl and file.

20221123_023015.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Heavily modified Gerber MP600 DET

20221123_024034.jpg

No pliers on this one. I replaced them with this pretty awesome set of shears.

20221123_024003.jpg

I kept the C4 spike as a general purpose pokey thing, and it has been surprisingly useful over the years. This is also, I believe, the only modified tool that I kept the knife blades on. So one arm has the pokey spike, serrated sheepsfoot blade, crosshead driver, and can opener.

20221123_023941.jpg

The other arm has a plain edged blade, three sizes of flat blade driver, and a file.

20221123_023850.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Modified Gerber Diesel

20221123_025102.jpg

The modifications aren't as drastic on this tool as some of the others, but it still went knifeless. One arm has saw, medium and small flat drivers, scissors, and a can opener which functions effectively as an awl/scribe too.

20221123_024839.jpg

The other arm has a reduced thickness crosshead driver and large flat, a file, and a jigsaw blade adapter with Remgrit carbide saw blade.

20221123_025031.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nowadays, I'm more likely to be found with smaller tools in my pocket. I no longer drive, work, go camping, own a boat, or do stagecraft. So while the full size tools do still see occasional use and pocket time here, keyring size tools handle most of what I need.

20221123_033246.jpg

In fact a Victorinox or Wenger pocket knife are enough on their own a lot of the time. Here are just a few of what I have left. Again, I used to own a heck of a lot more.

20221123_033219.jpg

Of particular note, are two I modified the tool sets on. The first of which is this Wenger, which was a standard Wenger 14 or Traveler tool set, and I added the Phillips driver and carabiner.

IMG_20221123_032813.jpg

The other is an 84mm Victorinox, which I added MANY unobtainium tools to. I also modified it in such a way, that it carries BOTH backspring Phillips and corkscrew.

IMG_20221123_033108.jpg

20221123_033149.jpg

This let me add a serrated and plain main blade, along with nail file, saw, an awl from a 93mm knife, and of course the very hard to find 84mm scissors. Sadly I never found an 84mm knife with the metal file to rob it from and add to this knife.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This modified knifeless Gerber Octane lives in the bathroom. Yes, you read that right. :001_tongu

IMG_20221123_042659.jpg

In my more active days, it had a lot of use and pocket time, carried alongside a slim Victorinox or Wenger pocket knife with scissors. It was great to have the additional pliers, drivers, and quick access bottle opener, when I didn't need the heavier compliment if a full multitool. BBQs and other parties particularly. It was amusing how many times people would still collar me for a tool/repair of something on such occasions.

Nowadays, it resides in the bathroom and has two primary functions. Pulling clumps of hair out of the plughole on the bath and sink (my long hair reaches the bottom of my ribcage), and the package opener tool deals with stubborn packs of bog roll. :lol1:

IMG_20221123_042617.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Of all my multitools, this unmodified Gerber Balance is the only one that I carry instead of a pocket knife. With every single one of the others, I will always carry some kind of pocket knife alongside, be that multipurpose, one handed, or a simple traditional slipjoint.

20221123_044318.jpg

The non-locking combo blade isn't great, but is certainly good enough when no other cutting tools are available. It's also non-threatening in appearance to most onlookers.

20221123_044302.jpg

The other tools include two long screwdrivers with reversible bits, one of which has a bottle opener built into it (not visible in this pic), a half-decent pair of scissors, and there's a pair of tweezers tucked in the frame too. Overall, a very handy day-to-day urban tool, which is comfortable in hand, and not too heavy in the pocket either. Certainly not survival tool material, but that's not what this is intended for.

20221123_044241.jpg

I have an older Wave that I keep in my 4Runner V8, both running well after all these years. The Wave really comes in handy when I’m traveling and use the file to round off my finger nail after I cracked it doing some odd job. 😉. It’s been a phenomenal multi tool all these years!

In my climbing packs or if I need to carry a multi tool, I carry the Charge Ti. A duplicate of the Wave so to speak, S30V steel and a couple extras, slightly lighter too.

You almost can’t go wrong with any of the top manufacturer’s multi tools.

Top Bottom