What's new

Lets talk lathering technique

I use my trusty Georgetown scuttle every day. (Actually, I’ve got three of them.) I love building the warm lather in the basin, and can dial it in before the brush hits my face. If I’m so inclined (which is rarely), I can scrub in the lather for a lengthy period of time, to emulate face lathering. Or just paint the stuff on and go to town. I love using the scuttle in the peak heat of summer, when I use mentholated soaps and creams. The warm lather hits my face, then drops about 50 degrees as the menthol kicks in. That transition is one of my favorite shaving experiences.

I tried face lathering once. And only once.

Since I suck at bowl lathering, I only face lather. I enjoy it and I feel I get a better sense of where my lather is at in regards to hydration and consistency.

Face lather.
I shave fast enough it is still warm for third pass, plus the soft brush on your face while making lather feels great.
Pretty sure the mug isn't getting any joy out of it.

I started off bowl lathering and did that exclusively for over 40 years. Some time ago I started face lathering and did bowl and face lathering equally. Now, I face lather more than 90% of the time. I find that I can judge the quality of the lather better when I face lather and seem to get smoother shaves.

I build my lather in a bowl, paint the lather on my face then kind of face lather to further exfoliation and continue to build the lather to the consistency I want.
I would say that this is my method as well. So many guys like to face lather, so I do intend to give it a try someday.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Another face lather'er here -- for all the reasons mentioned above (especially the morality one :117:)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I do all my prep in the shower, so my lather decisions are not based on prep in any way.

I occasionally get home from golf mid-afternoon and don't want to do my traditional 3 pass shave as I like to get 24 hours rest between shaves. On those days I face lather for a one pass shave.

My skin doesn't prefer the extra exfoliation and I occasionally get some flying lather, but it gets the job done.

I much prefer to build lather in my scuttle. It provides several advantages:
1. Convenient place to soak my boar brush without using a lot of water.
2. No flying lather.
3. No skin irritation.
4. Wonderfully warm third pass lather.
5. Great place to clean the brush.

It's also a little easier on my arthritis: I tilt the bowl to a comfortable angle. I suppose I could do that with my face (head), but the neck wouldn't appreciate it.

So I still occasionally use my face for a bowl. It works. For me it's kind of a crude substitute, but some shavers use that time as part of their prep.

As always, whatever makes you happy.

Top Bottom