What's new

Let's talk guayaberas

Do you have to commit to linen pants too, or will most jeans or cotton trousers be appropriate?

Not at all, IMO. The great thing about these shirts is that they are able to stand on their own, and they work with virtually anything. Kind of like a woman's scarf.

FWIW to the conversation, I remember visiting my mom in Puerto Rico, and being from a small village in the mountains called Barranquitas, of course the church was the center of town. On Sunday's it was a sea of Guayaberas of all types and all ages, usually white or light blue, and folks were wearing them with everything from shorts, jeans, to dressy slacks. It is a timeless shirt. Our course for funeral services, it was a sea of black guayaberas. There was a time however, that if you were under 50, the youth would cat call to you "oy Viejo" as for a time they were related to old men drinking rum and playing dominos while wearing Panama hats.

That has changed however, and now everyone is wearing them, and the styles, colors and designs, have become fantastic. Here in Tucson, with the summer heat, they are seen all the time, however we only have a few outlets that sell them, go figure, and most are the Cubavera brand. Someone had mentioned being able to pull it off, but nowadays I don't think it matters much as to being the correct "type" to wear these. I think someone also asked ( maybe in another thread) about what type of shoes to wear. Any light colored casual cap toe, wing tip could work with slacks, and top siders with shorts, or even linen slacks.

I am glad this thread is here, as these shirts are part of my heritage and it is good to see the popularity getting more attention.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Dave, do you have any Puerto Rican recipes? If so, maybe we can see them in the Mess Hall. My ex-fiancé made a killer rice and beans, and her chicken was pretty good, too. I swear she is Rosie Perez' doppelganger (without the voice)- too bad she was crazy as hell.

Sure I will put some together, I will have to hunt some down from my mom's old stuff, but I can put up the Arroz con pollo recipe up in a few days

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sure I will put some together, I will have to hunt some down from my mom's old stuff, but I can put up the Arroz con pollo recipe up in a few days
Very cool, Dave. This stuff was easy to find in Cleveland, but there really isn't a large Puerto Rican population down here. I look forward to your Mess Hall postings. Aaron also has a Comfort Food group cookout posted for the first week of December, too- so you might pop in there as well.

Very cool, Dave. This stuff was easy to find in Cleveland, but there really isn't a large Puerto Rican population down here. I look forward to your Mess Hall postings. Aaron also has a Comfort Food group cookout posted for the first week of December, too- so you might pop in there as well.

Owen-you're from Cleveland? I was born and raised in Shaker Heights. I have not been back since the day I started college. Go Browns!!

And to the poster that mentioned that his ex was a Rosie Perez double? I have worked with Rosie on a couple of projects; she is bat-**** crazy. Hopefully, your ex was not that bad.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen-you're from Cleveland? I was born and raised in Shaker Heights. I have not been back since the day I started college. Go Browns!!

And to the poster that mentioned that his ex was a Rosie Perez double? I have worked with Rosie on a couple of projects; she is bat-**** crazy. Hopefully, your ex was not that bad.
Actually born in Steubenville, but no one admits that. I live in Cleveland from 1981 until 1992, so I adopted it. Being from S-ville, I am a lifelong Steelers fan (p burgh is 45 minutes away). As to the ex- yes she was beautiful, but extremely crazy. My wife (Mex-Am, and crazy in her own right) doesn't know my Harley is named after my ex- a very fun ride, but scary as hell.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
For the record, I love Latin women. They are a challenge. When they love you, they really love you. When they hate you- watch out. Luckily, I am usually love-able

Actually born in Steubenville, but no one admits that. I live in Cleveland from 1981 until 1992, so I adopted it. Being from S-ville, I am a lifelong Steelers fan (p burgh is 45 minutes away). As to the ex- yes she was beautiful, but extremely crazy. My wife (Mex-Am, and crazy in her own right) doesn't know my Harley is named after my ex- a very fun ride, but scary as hell.

Ah, Steubenville, the armpit of Ohio. I attended boarding school in Wheeling, so I do know about S-ville. They used to be a powerhouse in football.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ah, Steubenville, the armpit of Ohio. I attended boarding school in Wheeling, so I do know about S-ville. They used to be a powerhouse in football.
Bumping because I have to buy a new wardrobe, and remembered starting this thread. Oh, and to also say
Go Big Red.

Top Bottom