What's new

Let's talk guayaberas

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
For most of my life, my summer wear has been a white t shirt and shorts. If going out I might go a light color polo and jeans. Next summer (in Texas, that isn't far off) I want to step it up. Does anyone have experience with the Guayabera shirt? I see they are available in linen and cotton- what are the advantages of one over the other? Is there a "go to" place you get them? I am looking for a reasonable price with good quality. I think a $100 may be a bit much to start with. What about a decent lightweight pant to wear with them? I know it is November, but I like to research a bit before jumping into things.

Make a person the steward of the Haberdashery and they start thinking about such things. I am sure the moderators plotted this :biggrin:

Ok, Mod, here we go.....I wear Guaya's almost every day; I have short sleeve, long sleeve, even formal (with French cuffs). I buy only linen as they breath better, but then most of my time is spent in Belize. The trick with these is to never let them meet Mr. Dryer; it will kill the fabric. If you buy cotton, they will most likely not feel as comfortable as linen. These shirts are designed to be light and airy, but the cotton shirts weigh quite a bit more.

If I am casual, I will wear linen pants, Dockers or jeans. If dressy, light wool. The pants tend to wrinkle quickly, the shirts not so much.

There is only one place that I buy these: https://www.islandimporter.com/mens-shirts/

There was another site called The Guayabera Lady, but the quality and service have slipped drastically.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thank you for the info- I knew a pirate would be of help in this area :biggrin: I found casualtropicalwear.com, but will check out your link, as you have experience with them.

I wear them on occasion and I like the silk and linen ones. I have no specific place where I buy them, but have purchased from ebay and sometimes western wear stores. Also, Tommy Bahama has shirts similar to guayaberas that I have purchased in the past. Oh and I tend to wear the short sleeve more. I don't see many long sleeve in my size.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I wear them on occasion and I like the silk and linen ones. I have no specific place where I buy them, but have purchased from ebay and sometimes western wear stores. Also, Tommy Bahama has shirts similar to guayaberas that I have purchased in the past. Oh and I tend to wear the short sleeve more. I don't see many long sleeve in my size.

Owen:
Having family in Puerto Rico, I get mine mostly made by some local artisans there, and stick with linen as well for the summers here in Tucson, however I have had good luck with these as well

http://www.cubavera.com/linen/view-all/
Thanks

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Okay, I just thought of a question, since we are talking linen. How sheer is it? I ask only because I own no white underwear. I like boxer briefs, and they generally are colored. Some of them are gray, however. Will linen pants be ok?

I like the looks of the linen when new,but after even one cold water wash and a line drying,they never look the same.Cotton is better,irons up smoother.Cotton-poly blend looks nicer,but too much poly in the mix is not good for hot ,tropical weather.Really top notch heavyweight 100% poly shirts look great,you can wash ,hang to dry and usually wear without any ironing,but they are brutal to wear in tropical climates...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I may just order one linen and one cotton to start. With winter moving in, I should start seeing some sales. I think there is a linen setting on most irons. Is this right?

One good way to iron linen is to have the iron on a low to medium setting, and place a nice terry towel over it, will iron well

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
One good way to iron linen is to have the iron on a low to medium setting, and place a nice terry towel over it, will iron well
Thanks. I have read ironing wet works well, too. Of course, I have also read that wrinkling is part of the charm with linen. Sorry to be asking dumb questions, but I have never thought much of apparel before. Now that I am steward I have to step up my game (plus, as I get older, I don't always want to be a total slob).

Thanks. I have read ironing wet works well, too. Of course, I have also read that wrinkling is part of the charm with linen. Sorry to be asking dumb questions, but I have never thought much of apparel before. Now that I am steward I have to step up my game (plus, as I get older, I don't always want to be a total slob).

To answer a couple of your questions, OC:

I would suggest quick "lightly damp" ironing on low, as opposed to wet. If you pull them off the line while damp, then iron, it works wonders.

Seriously wrinkled linen is only charming IF:

• You are %$#&face drunk
  • You are sitting in a Greyhound bus station
  • You are 8 years old and also covered in grass stains

Hey, linen wrinkles, get used to it. But you can lessen the propensity to wrinkle by smart shopping and maintenance. As previously stated, cold water wash and line dry will keep the fabric as intended, less prone to wrinkling quickly and will not look tacky when slightly wrinkled. That said, cheap linen does not look as good as quality linen, so choose accordingly. Remember that linen is used for suits, as well. You will easily find high quality, linen slacks with an inner lining that will cover your who-ha areas. You don't see Wall St. bankers showing their knickers in linen while knocking back Kristal at Buffy's weekend bar-b-que in the Hamptons.

If I have on shorts, I generally wear short sleeve Guaya's. Big boy pants, I wear long sleeves. Dress pants, french cuffs (and maybe a sport coat or suit).

There are varying degrees of linen thickness. Choose wisely. I would not get thin white linen for slacks. Live dangerously and go with a light blue or light green slack. If you are looking at drawstring linen pants, those are really designed for the beach. Look for linen slacks.

Best of luck

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To answer a couple of your questions, OC:

I would suggest quick "lightly damp" ironing on low, as opposed to wet. If you pull them off the line while damp, then iron, it works wonders.

Seriously wrinkled linen is only charming IF:

• You are %$#&face drunk
  • You are sitting in a Greyhound bus station
  • You are 8 years old and also covered in grass stains

Hey, linen wrinkles, get used to it. But you can lessen the propensity to wrinkle by smart shopping and maintenance. As previously stated, cold water wash and line dry will keep the fabric as intended, less prone to wrinkling quickly and will not look tacky when slightly wrinkled. That said, cheap linen does not look as good as quality linen, so choose accordingly. Remember that linen is used for suits, as well. You will easily find high quality, linen slacks with an inner lining that will cover your who-ha areas. You don't see Wall St. bankers showing their knickers in linen while knocking back Kristal at Buffy's weekend bar-b-que in the Hamptons.

If I have on shorts, I generally wear short sleeve Guaya's. Big boy pants, I wear long sleeves. Dress pants, french cuffs (and maybe a sport coat or suit).

There are varying degrees of linen thickness. Choose wisely. I would not get thin white linen for slacks. Live dangerously and go with a light blue or light green slack. If you are looking at drawstring linen pants, those are really designed for the beach. Look for linen slacks.

Best of luck
Thank you very much. I am new to all of this, and your information is of great help.

I personally like the cotton or blend better. Try shushans.com as they have a pretty good selection and I have bought several through them as well as hats. If you're in NOLA, it is a good place to visit.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I personally like the cotton or blend better. Try shushans.com as they have a pretty good selection and I have bought several through them as well as hats. If you're in NOLA, it is a good place to visit.

ah, the iconic Cuban dress shirt ... in Miami, visit Ramon Puig, "King of the guyavera."

https://www.ramonpuig.com/

Presidents buy them there.

My Cuban wife bought me a "Puig," and they aren't cheap ...

AA
Thanks. I saw Shushans, but, hadn't found Ramon Puig yet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glad to help! I have about 10 of them ... from cheapos to Cubavera to linen no-names to Puigs ...

It was meant as the equivalent of a business suit in the tropics, I am told. Formal.

AA

Top Bottom