What's new

Let's talk Gillette

I have been thinking about Gillette lately. There are some thoughts I would like to share. And your opinion on them.

Let me start with one of the first things that caught my eye when I joined B&B. Many seemed to have started wet shaving out of frustration about cartridges. They consider shaving with cartdridges a bit unethical, considering the cost and the polluting nature of cartridges. On top of that big companies in general, but Gillette in particular are being criticized for this bussiness model, that promotes nonsensical illusions about ever improving shaves with their products. Plus companies like Gillette seem too dominant in this market. A position many as a matter of principal don't like.

I started wet shaving for some of these reasons. When I started to shave my head during the pandemic, I realised how fast the expensive Gillette cartridges deteriorated. On top of that they left too much stubble to my liking.
At first, I truly believed switching to wet shaving would save me money. I can now say it has not. Far from it. But that's me. Or us: those who discover the passion of real shaving. I don't mind that I spend MUCH more on shaving now than I ever did.
Some may save money, but I do not.
The pollution argument was never an issue for me, but I doubt that my shaving footprint is less polluting than when I used cartridges.
The conclusion should be that only my frustration about the lesser shave quality cartridges deliver remains valid. The funny thing is Gillette now provides the solution. Their DE blades are among my most beloved blades.
I admit I resented Gillette as a freshman to wet shaving. But my opinion has since changed.

Another thing that comes to mind is the resentment some seem to bare towards Gillett's bussiness model. They are the most powerfull player in the shaving universe and exploit their position by charging exorbitant pricing. This may be true. On the other hand: does Feather not do this? And artisan soap makers? I think they do and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Profit leads to investments, investments lead to better products and thus more satisfaction for us, the consumers.

A final thought that came to me is: what to think of the King C. Gillette line Gillette introduced? What was their intention? Profit, for sure. But what else? Personally, I don't know anyone that started wet shaving after buying the nice KCG razor and blades. Surely that must have been one of the reasons for Gillette to introduce the KCG line. I would think that would have been good for all of us too. In the West, we are a niche. More wet shavers would mean more possibilities for companies to develop more and better products. We would benefit.

So: my thoughts on Gillette have changed. I am curious about yours.

I hated Gillette when I got into DE shaving. I didn't want to try any Gillette double edge blades. I was given some with a purchase or two and found they were the best blades I had tried and so had to revise my opinion. Now I just hate their cartridge razors.

The King C. Gillette line is intended to have a presence in the "boutique" traditional shaving market, which is interesting because that market is as healthy as it is in the West because of Gillette's dubious business model with cartridge razors. Maybe the handles appeal to Hipsters.

I sometimes wonder whether we have market saturation for DE razors and blades.

I hated Gillette when I got into DE shaving. I didn't want to try any Gillette double edge blades. I was given some with a purchase or two and found they were the best blades I had tried and so had to revise my opinion. Now I just hate their cartridge razors.

The King C. Gillette line is intended to have a presence in the "boutique" traditional shaving market, which is interesting because that market is as healthy as it is in the West because of Gillette's dubious business model with cartridge razors. Maybe the handles appeal to Hipsters.

I sometimes wonder whether we have market saturation for DE razors and blades.
Let's not forget wet shaving is a niche market in the West, but it is not in large parts of the world.

Great input, by the way. Thanks 👍🏽

Gillette has always made good stuff: razors and blades. You can find 1930's to 60's razors that are way better than the new copies. Their recent adds were stupid....but that is a reflection of the people they hire and run it now (which is a reflection of society in general now)

Interesting. Gillette does bring up a lot of discussion for sure that even gets into the advertising and political realms. I really stopped following adds and product claims a few years back when I got into DE shaving (really just something I decided to pick up during the COVID lockdown). For blades I tried a bunch of different kinds and decided the two I liked the best were Astra SP and Gillette Platinum in the blue package. This was without regard to where they were made or who made them.

Interesting. Gillette does bring up a lot of discussion for sure that even gets into the advertising and political realms. I really stopped following adds and product claims a few years back when I got into DE shaving (really just something I decided to pick up during the COVID lockdown). For blades I tried a bunch of different kinds and decided the two I liked the best were Astra SP and Gillette Platinum in the blue package. This was without regard to where they were made or who made them.
I should say that while I stopped following advertising, I did start following this site for advice and suggestions on different products, methods, etc.

I love Gillette’s vintage razors as well as many of their current DE offerings. :a29:

That said, I agree with criticisms of Gillette’s continually ‘improving‘ carts. I also did not appreciate the ‘toxic masculinity‘ advertising campaign.

Gillette has always made good stuff: razors and blades. You can find 1930's to 60's razors that are way better than the new copies. Their recent adds were stupid....but that is a reflection of the people they hire and run it now (which is a reflection of society in general now)
Agreed.

I've been shaving my head using cartridge razors for years (still do) and was also disappointed with the advertising angle Gillette took. I tried DSC and Harry's and have settled on Harry's (and now they have jumped into politics). In the process I learned a couple things:

- Gillette makes a superior product, though more expensive.

- it is very difficult as a consumer trying to avoid politics you may disagree with.

If I boycotted every company that I disagreed with, I'd be living in a cave, drinking rain water, and shaving with a piece of flint.

I had looked into DE use years ago, but was put off by the extra time it took. When Gillette let me know that they hated me I ordered a starter kit from Stirling.

The King C. Gillette is a very good razor and I used it for a few months when it came out. Their vintage razors are great every way you look at them. I neither avoid or seek their DE blades. If I find a good price I'll grab them just like I would if they were coming from Lord, Feather, etc..

A final thought that came to me is: what to think of the King C. Gillette line Gillette introduced? What was their intention? Profit, for sure. But what else?

It's a product line to master your (beard) style.
The KCG razor intended use is to style your beard, not shave completely:

'The King C. Gillette Double Edge Safety Razor is the perfect choice for men who appreciate a touch of heritage, but want to create a modern, sharp look; that’s why we’ve brought it back - the growing trend for statement beards has seen increased demand for double edge safety razors, with many men turning to them for their simplicity and relevance.'

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have been thinking about Gillette lately. There are some thoughts I would like to share. And your opinion on them.
I just love my vintage Gillette razors, and the new King C Gillette blades are the bomb, but their newest razor offerings weren't even designed by them, just Mühle and EJ clones.

I got into traditional wet shaving to save my face from the electric monsters I had been using for decades, not to save money, which I certainly have not.

Which leads me to this question, did Gillette ever make an electric razor?

~doug~

Top Bottom