What's new

Let’s talk cigar cutters

I have a Colibri "V" cutter, and a Xikar XO dual-blade guillotine cutter, along with a couple of cheapo guillotines for travel. I also have a nice two-stage punch cutter on my key ring, and will be buying a small penknife to round things out.

When I complete my outdoor man-cave, there will be a table-top cutter as shown in the links above.

I’ve got 2 - a guillotine cutter and a punch. Can’t say I prefer one over the other. I under stand it’s basically a personal preference.

I do want a V notch cutter and have my eyes on this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H85QXPG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2V0ZAHR0JO9GJ&psc=1

I’m also open to another punch, guillotine, or the scissor style. Ideally I’d like to have cutters that would do all the different styles. I may find some cigars that smoke better with different cuts.

So what are some good options around the sub $100 mark. ?

This is what I currently have.

That Colibri in your amazon link is the V cutter I have and I absolutely love it. It's my favorite cutter by far.

I carry a Xicar V-Cutter in my pocket everyday. Does well on anything not a gigantic gauge. I want a straight cutter eventually. Some sticks just smoke nicer with a straight cut IMO but I have a lot of torpedoes. Xicar warranty is a breeze too if you ever need it.

I agree, but if I have a cigar that is still too tight after a V cut, I'll just cut it the opposite direction (making a "cross" cut) and that usually solves the problem.

It's been a while since I've bought a cutter (17 years) and the item is now discontinued. I have the Wenger 19th hole golf tool with cigar cutter. It has worked excellently all these years. I bought it because I golfed and often smoked a cigar post game with a cocktail. If you golf it's excellent at all functions.

Nowadays I think you can only get it on the bay but I think Victorinox may sell something similar. If you only bought it for the cutter it would be money well spent. I still use mine nearly every day even though I haven't golfed in a few years.

Chris

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Can’t go wrong with an $18 Xikar cutter

F2DAD836-E7F9-4ED6-B0DF-B1989A40AD69.jpeg

754FA7AE-7701-4AB2-9C04-5A845999A734.jpeg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't have a V cutter yet. I don't understand how they help. I'm ignorant. Why not just cut flat further down?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like the V cut as it retains some of the cap, and I enjoy the flavor of the wrapper on my tongue. Similar to a punch, but the deeper v cuts expose much more of the cigar so the draw seems better.

I don't have a V cutter yet. I don't understand how they help. I'm ignorant. Why not just cut flat further down?

@Kentos hit it on the head with this post. Perfect explanation and is why I prefer to use a V.

I like the V cut as it retains some of the cap, and I enjoy the flavor of the wrapper on my tongue. Similar to a punch, but the deeper v cuts expose much more of the cigar so the draw seems better.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'll just add that it depends on what you're smoking.

While I love the carry simplicity of a punch, on the bigger ring gauges, you really need a bigger cutter for adequate draw. And forget about punching many torpedos.

On a box-press, sometimes a V cut makes for a strange mouth feel at times. I'm not going to double-cut a box press with a V. But maybe I'm the exception on that.

When I used to frequent the more formal clubs, the higher end ones would always use the scissors. If you have the time and the space for one, that's probably the best all-rounder.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've heard of people that use punches making a couple holes with them. One on the end and one on the side. Maybe that was with a torpedo, punching it on the side

Top Bottom