What's new

Let’s talk cigar cutters

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve got 2 - a guillotine cutter and a punch. Can’t say I prefer one over the other. I under stand it’s basically a personal preference.

I do want a V notch cutter and have my eyes on this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H85QXPG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2V0ZAHR0JO9GJ&psc=1

I’m also open to another punch, guillotine, or the scissor style. Ideally I’d like to have cutters that would do all the different styles. I may find some cigars that smoke better with different cuts.

So what are some good options around the sub $100 mark. ?

This is what I currently have.

4A845DB0-A154-4E84-8A04-FE17721C54AC.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have both Gold and Silver Prometheus 'V' cutters. Xicar also makes a very good 'V' cutter.

Xicar and Palió guillotine cutters are excellent.

My Victorinox Swiss Army Cigar has one of the absolute best cigar scissors I've ever.

Before you spend $100 on a cutter, I also get great cuts with the $6 plastic handle 'V' cutter and the $6 plastic handle guillotine cutter I picked up at the local cigar store the other week.

YMMV

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I use two things. My teeth and a Palio cutter. The Palio cutter works really well.

The Colibri V cut you are looking at is excellent. I’ve got one that I use on my bigger gauge sticks, perfect cut every single time. Regular size sticks get the Xikar carbon fibre or Palio. Palio is solid but I get a little better cut with the Xikar.
7AC23EB1-3830-46FB-9128-41E81394CAE8.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Any Xikar, Palio, and that specific Colibri will do you good I think. Like anything else the actual use of the thing gives me pleasure, as well as how good the cut is. That Colibri is a beast and feels good in the hand.

I carry a Xicar V-Cutter in my pocket everyday. Does well on anything not a gigantic gauge. I want a straight cutter eventually. Some sticks just smoke nicer with a straight cut IMO but I have a lot of torpedoes. Xicar warranty is a breeze too if you ever need it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jason:
proxy.php
I prepare cigars by cutting a small hole in the head (thus preserving the 'cap'...but with Perfectos or Figurados vitola's...
I use my teeth to 'snip' [i.e., my incisors...like many people in and from Cuba
proxy.php
], these formats), with my small 14K (engraved with my initials...CBJ), penknife;

my-cigar-cutter-jpg.871050
my-cigar-cutter-1-jpg.871049

5½in long with blade & file extended, 2½in long with blade & file not extended, blade & file are 1½in long and the body is ½in wide.

cigar-cutter-image-jpg.871286
“A cigar [cutter]—it’s not so much a [passion] as the crown and hallmark of pleasure”. Count Leo Tolstoy

Last edited:
Unfortunately I bought a cheap pair of scissors from my local cigar shop when I first started smoking. They were horrible and really turned me off of scissors. You two gentleman clearly have some quality scissors, maybe I should take another look

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah I’d like to have some scissors too. I’m going to get all 4. Straight cut, scissors, punch, V notch. Never know what the cigars like. Or what I like.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like my Swiss Army Cigar knife. Has a blade, scissors, and nail file, as well as the three punches.

Attachments

• Swiss Army Cigar Knife.jpg
    Swiss Army Cigar Knife.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 19
If you’ve got $100 to burn get a EWT 4-in-1 table top cutter (it has two sizes of straight cutters and two v cutters) and for pocket use - get a pair of Xikar MTX scissors, which fold down to nothing, and include a lighter bleeder, flame adjustment tool and bottle opener. Both work very well.

Table Cutter

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you’ve got $100 to burn get a EWT 4-in-1 table top cutter (it has two sizes of straight cutters and two v cutters) and for pocket use - get a pair of Xikar MTX scissors, which fold down to nothing, and include a lighter bleeder, flame adjustment tool and bottle opener. Both work very well.

Table Cutter
Thanks For the info! Something about that Table Cutter link doesn’t work. But I was looking at one on Amazon for 50, don’t think it’s the same one. Most of my cutting will be done at home so this would work well.

Top Bottom