What's new

Lets Take a head count on Modern Williams Shaving Soap

Modern Williams... How's it work for YOU.

• Modern Williams is terrible. Not my technique or water. I can lather any other soap!

• Modern Williams is soap.

• Modern Williams works great. I have no problem with it at all regarding lather or scent!

Results are only viewable after voting.
OK, I tried it again. Three strikes, you're out. This is simply a terrible soap. It produced a nice looking lather and then Harry F Houdini flew ing and made it dissapear. Tried it with more water, less water. It's just a bad soap.

Seems so many wanted a third option..... Everyone always wants more options....Here's one:

I would recommend this soap to a newbie to introduce them to wet shaving.

It's really not that hard to understand. It works at varying degrees for 75% of the members that answered, and it doesn't work at varying degrees for the other 25%. A small percentage of the 25% that it doesn't work for like to proclaim their hatred of it at every opportunity, while a large percentage of the other 75% just use it and go quietly about their business.

See how simple that is?

Likewise, there is a large percentage of the 25% who go quietly about their business but only try to understand what the other 75%, see in it. If a large percentage of the 75% go quietly about their business, then a small percentage don't. What you basically just said is that a small percentage of both groups jump at every opportunity to attack/defend Williams. One side can bait the other just as easily.

The thing about it is, the Williams "haters" say its a bad soap, the Williams "defenders" mostly say, I can use it but there's better stuff out there, it not that great.

So.... it seems to me, we all agree, it's not that great of a soap. Is there anyone that has tried DR Harris, MWF, Tabac, Mama Bears, Speick, Gentlemans Best, SCS, TGQ, Palmolive or even VDH and says Williams is there go to soap? or even in the Top 5?

Perhaps some of the emotions are patriotic?

Williams, on of the oldest shave soaps and a bit of American history has been pushed down in quality to a mediocre at best soap while all of the good stuff is either from across pond or made by some fine American artisans. Point is, maybe some defend it because it American history and other attack it simply out of embarrassment?

Yes, it's getting deep but then maybe I'm on to something. Time for some more coffee...

Likewise, there is a large percentage of the 25% who go quietly about their business but only try to understand what the other 75%, see in it. If a large percentage of the 75% go quietly about their business, then a small percentage don't. What you basically just said is that a small percentage of both groups jump at every opportunity to attack/defend Williams. One side can bait the other just as easily.

The thing about it is, the Williams "haters" say its a bad soap, the Williams "defenders" mostly say, I can use it but there's better stuff out there, it not that great.

So.... it seems to me, we all agree, it's not that great of a soap. Is there anyone that has tried DR Harris, MWF, Tabac, Mama Bears, Speick, Gentlemans Best, SCS, TGQ, Palmolive or even VDH and says Williams is there go to soap? or even in the Top 5?

Williams, on of the oldest shave soaps and a bit of American history has been pushed down in quality to a mediocre at best soap while all of the good stuff is either from across pond or made by some fine American artisans. Point is, maybe some defend it because it American history and other attack it simply out of embarrassment?

Yes, it's getting deep but then maybe I'm on to something. Time for some more coffee...

Well now you're making it complicated again.:blink:

I guess the point is this. 75% of the people who responded liked Williams well enough to say so. 25% - a very clear minority - did not like it. However some of the minority thinks the majority is full of crap, and really it's sort of annoying. If most people like it of find it acceptable, who are you to tell them they shouldn't because you don't?

I don't like Art Of Shaving. I never once got a good shave from it. Should I therefore stridently tell everyone who DOES like AoS that the product sucks? No - because most people like it and *I* am in the minority.

This is like certain lactose intolerant people who are telling you that YOU should not drink milk because it makes THEM sick. And yes there are some that do that and it's every bit as irrational as the Williams thing.

The debate is getting old. Lets go do something else for a while.

Agreed.

It's neither the greatest stuff in the world, or the Anti-Christ of Soap that its detractors make it out to be.

It's just a decent soap at a good price.

That was my thought. For the price, it does what its supposed to do but I certainly wouldn't call it great.

Yes, now you're getting somewhere!

I think with reasoning like that, John and I may just have to sign you up for The Team.:thumbup:

I just had a great shave with it this morning. Built as much lather as possible. I wound up making it a touch wet, which worked to my advantage as it does seem to dry out. After shaving my face, I'd have to re-lather my neck because it had been drying out a tad, but I managed 3 passes, and a couple touch ups out of one brush loading, and the results were very very acceptable. (one of my best shaves yet)

I guess the point is this. 75% of the people who responded liked Williams well enough to say so. 25% - a very clear minority - did not like it. However some of the minority thinks the majority is full of crap, and really it's sort of annoying. If most people like it of find it acceptable, who are you to tell them they shouldn't because you don't?

Go ahead and say it--Seraphim is the ignorant minority!:w00t:

"find it acceptable..." is about as fervent praise as Williams is worthy of. What really gets me worked up is that Williams used to be great, not just "OK", but truly great. But it no longer is.

The debate is getting old. Lets go do something else for a while.

I shall fight against Williams until my last breath. If the poll came out 99 to one, I would still lash myself to the mast and keep on my course! Remember the Alamo, and all that stuff....

Why have a discussion forum about shave soaps in the first place? Gillette Mach 5's and a can of Edge gel gives a pretty good shave too, why knock that? An electric is efficient, and convenient. If "Meh, it's OK..." is what someone is after, then I can indeed see why Williams is fairing so well in the polls.

"find it acceptable..." is about as fervent praise as Williams is worthy of. What really gets me worked up is that Williams used to be great, not just "OK", but truly great. But it no longer is.

The crux of the issue for me is what you have stated: Williams used to be GREAT. Not just "meh, it's ok", but truly great, and would still hold it's own among some of the highly praised soaps of today.

Use Vintage Williams for a week, and then if you dare use the Modern Williams for a week. I highly doubt after such a test you would ever think to sing the praises of Modern Williams again.

Honestly for me, canned goo is superior to Williams, as in my hands, Williams is a worthless product. :w00t:

I have trouble voting for this because the choices are either that Williams is great, or it is horrible. IMO, it's neither. I think it is decent - especially for the price point, but nothing special either.

The scent is neutral enough and I can get a good lather and shave out of it, but it takes work - more work than I'm interested in putting in... It's one of those soaps (along with MWF) that I find to be a pain in the a**, and will always choose a better/easier performing product over it.

I shall fight against Williams until my last breath. If the poll came out 99 to one, I would still lash myself to the mast and keep on my course! Remember the Alamo, and all that stuff....

proxy.php

That's it. I'm declaring jihad against Art of Shaving. I hate that stuff. You should too! It's bad bad bad bad bad! I've tried every combination of water and brush I can think of and no way does it give a good shave.

If you use it and get good shaves, you are clearly doing something wrong!

That last sentence made as about much sense as any of this debate has. :tongue_sm

That's it. I'm declaring jihad against Art of Shaving. I hate that stuff. You should too! It's bad bad bad bad bad! I've tried every combination of water and brush I can think of and no way does it give a good shave.

If you use it and get good shaves, you are clearly doing something wrong!

That last sentence made as about much sense as any of this debate has. :tongue_sm

I'd gladly trade you a puck of Wiliams for a puck of AOS. How 'bout it?:w00t:

I get a great shave with Williams. Learning to shave with this soap should be a rite of passage for wet shavers.

JimT

I think that should have been a third option.
It's difficult to lather, but I'm one of the few that can do it and I can get a BBS shave with it.

That's how I would have voted.

Top Bottom