What's new

Let's see your rain gear

I came across a quote several weeks ago from Alfred Wainright's book "A Coast to Coast Walk" that says "There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing."

As a dog owner, I don't get to choose the weather when we walk. Sure, there are high-tech rain jackets, and I own a few, but I really enjoy walking in the rain in more traditional outerwear - waxed cotton, wool, etc. For me, it's this LL Bean waxed cotton upland hunting coat I purchased 3-4 years ago, and a Scottish rain cap (it does have a Gore-Tex lining). Being a head-shaver, this cap has served me well, keeping me warm and dry for more than a decade. Let's hear what you use to stay dry.

rain.jpg

I beg to differ. There is such a thing as bad weather. I've worked in it.

That said, here's my home rain gear and my work rain gear:

coat2.gif
coat1.gif

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Variety of Barbour coats, with and without lining depending on the temperature.

If I am out walking in heavy rain, a pair of Muck boots and a Frogg Toggs rain suit keep me dry.

I have several of those long raincoats like above from my days of having to work in the rain. They are good, except for basically being a gutter that soaks your from the knee down...
Clarino shoes would hold water better than a canteen.

As a dog owner
Nice looking pup!

There most certainly is and likewise I have also worked in it. Rain gear only works if your body & clothing are at the correct orientation, if you're upside down working on a pump, wellhead, etc. it will just roll up your legs and back. There are some things I don't miss from field work.

Haven't had much need to wear it in the past few years but when I was travelling to Vancouver regularly I always took a Sanyo 3/4 length microfiber coat. Not 100% waterproof but did good job of keeping me dry and also given the breathable fabric never felt like I was in a sauna. Not technically rain gear, well maybe it is, but if I'm wearing a suit have a Boss trench coat I can make work fall/winter/spring with its removable liner. Probably pushing the end of its fashion life but I'm caring less and less about that.

Casual a few choices. A waxed field coat from orvis that only gets better with wearing. An assortment of North Face, Mountain Hardwear, MEC jackets and coats depending how cold it it.

Keep a poncho and waterproof high viz jacket in the truck for anything unforeseen.

If I am out walking in heavy rain, a pair of Muck boots and a Frogg Toggs rain suit keep me dry.

I have several of those long raincoats like above from my days of having to work in the rain. They are good, except for basically being a gutter that soaks your from the knee down...
Clarino shoes would hold water better than a canteen.
Lacrosse boots and a REI or Nort Face goretex suit for me. Similar to what you wear.

I had a really nice Filson waxed Tin coat once.... that girlfriend probably gave it to her next beau....

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Barbour jacket for work. Patagonia rain jacket for casual.
i was going through an office closet the other day and threw out a London fog rain coat im embarrassed to say i once wore but totally forgot i had!

2180770C-CF2B-44D6-90A2-A8376A43277E.jpeg

That said, here's my home rain gear and my work rain gear:

Plenty of bad weather in the Pacific NW. I bought this Uniroyal work rain gear in 1973 after my first set lasted one week of tree planting. I’m still working in it and can’t find another set as durable. Definitely not breathable.

Brown Filson...no idea what model and it's no longer on their website. Definitely not breathable, either but it does keep you dry.

Top Bottom