What's new

Let's See Your Hart Steel Razors

I received mine today and love it. Photos don't do this razor justice. Hart Steel razors are well known for their great performance and contrary to the plain design criticism this blade has soul and it's beautifully crafted. Mine is 7/8 in white resin scales and has the initials JA on the back shank. Bought it used on BST and still has the great Escher factory edge. Shaved swimmingly.

So let's these American made beauties and please mention the initials on the back shank.

Here is some info about Hart Steel razors from the their site:

Early 2009, in the heart of the upper midwest, a group of artisans collaborated to form Hart Steel.
Hart Steel endeavors to create a new paradigm in razor and cutlery manufacturing by returning this art to the United States. We're proud to announce that we've begun production of Hart Steel's first line of straight razors.
Every part of a Hart straight razor is created and assembled in the U.S.A.; from the steel and the hardware to the durable injected mold silicone scales. Our steel is tested at a Rockwell hardness of 63, giving your razor the sharpest and most long-lasting edge possible. In the spirit of American cottage industry, our razors are created by Artisan Technicians (AT). One AT from start to finish, has hand ground, marked, sharpened, and assembled each razor. You'll find the AT's personalized mark proudly stamped on each razor to indicate his craftsmanship.
The one piece silicon scales have a simple elegance and are extremely durable while providing an excellent balance to the razor's edge. The scales are attached by a hex screw so the user can easily adjust, tighten or loosen to his preference as well as re-scale the razor using the provided hex wrench. Each Hart razor comes with its own handmade, water resistant deerskin sheath that will season with age and last for the life of your razor.

What is Different About Hart Steel Razors?

1. Each razor is made, from start to finish, by an individual craftsman. The initials on the tang are the maker's assurance of quality.
2. All blades are made from new O-1 tool steel. There are no old forgings or “mystery metal”.
3. All blades are surface ground before and after heat treating. These razors are guaranteed to be straight for ease of stropping and honing.
4. All blades are heat treated in a molten salt bath. The salt protects the blades from decarberization and oxidation.
5. All blades are frozen in liquid nitrogen. The deep freezing assures dimensional stability.
6. All blades are triple tempered for a final hardness of 62 – 63 HRC.
7. All blades are finish honed on a vintage Escher hone and hand stropped. Every blade is “shave ready” right out of the box.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 592
  • $Hart Steel AOS.jpg
    $Hart Steel AOS.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Ok I'm game... For my inaugural "hart steel hump day" Mine was bought for Xmas and is a 7/8 with TV being the maker... It has black resin scales (don't care for the wood ones although I may pick one or two up for variety) re honed with lapping film 0.3u with 2 pieces of picopaper... Much more comfortable shave now!

View attachment 401135

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
7/8 Hart. Initials BG
my piece of the USA here in Aotearoa.
I was still a honeoholics when I got mine so it hit the hone after a week of use. Had to have my edge you know.
It takes a wicked edge.

$2013-02-20 20.29.03.jpg

Same razor, 7/8 Square Point...different scales (Cocobolo and Maple). Rather fun to be able to swap them so easily. Oh...JA. The guys at Hart Steel told me JA's name a while back....but I forgot it.

$20140109_092320.jpg

View attachment 401262

Last edited:
Very nice, Gentlemen! Hart Steel is the one manufacturer I've never laid hands on...this thread is making me want to go buy one NOW!! :drool:

Makers initials?
Yup - on the back of the shank are the initials of person who made the blade (according to Hart Steel, from start to finish).
I have a 7/8 JA and a custom 6/8 shorty made by BG - hope to have pics to add to this thread shortly.

Yup - on the back of the shank are the initials of person who made the blade (according to Hart Steel, from start to finish).
I have a 7/8 JA and a custom 6/8 shorty made by BG - hope to have pics to add to this thread shortly.

No I'm asking them who makes theirs as the OP requested

Very nice, Gentlemen! Hart Steel is the one manufacturer I've never laid hands on...this thread is making me want to go buy one NOW!! :drool:

I don't think you would regret it. I have referred to the Hart Steel 7/8 as the "1911 of Straight Razors" and trust me, it's an accurate simile. It quickly rose to the top slot in my quiver where it remains as we speak, easily besting offerings from Dovo, Boker, TI, and Ralf Aust (but that Aust really comes close). Hey, remember what Todd Snider says.."Life's too long to worry; life's too short to wait." Get one. You deserve it..............

Last edited:
I don't think you would regret it. I have referred to the Hart Steel 7/8 as the "1911 of Straight Razors" and trust me, it's an accurate simile. It quickly rose to the top slot in my quiver where it remains as we speak, easily besting offerings from Dovo, Boker, TI, and Ralf Aust (but that Aust really comes close). Hey, remember what Todd Snider says.."Life's to long to worry; life's too short to wait." Get one. You deserve it..............

I agree 1911 of SR is an accurate description... The only thing that maybe beats it is my filarmonica 14... That things a super shaver

Now here is a thread I love sinking my teeth into! I am a huge fan of Hart Steel blades. So much so that I have three of them. The top blade is a 6/8 round point satin finish made by JA and scaled in rosewood. The center was part of their 2012 holiday release. It is a 6/8 Square point polished finish made by BG and scaled in honey horn. The lower blade is also part of their 2012 holiday release. It is a 7/8 round point Damascus made by BG and scaled in spalted maple. They sourced the Damascus from Tim Zowada and then did all the cutting grinding heat treating etc in house. All of them arrived to my house in perfect shape. They were very well presented in very nice boxes with Harts signature leather storage sleeves. The edges they arrived with were second to only the edges I received on my Zowada custom razors. They are easy to hone and have remarkable edge retention. There are those that say they look plain or utilitarian, but I disagree. I think they are the muscle cars of the straight razor world. Yes you might find more flash on a Ferrari or a Porsche and I admire them, but that in no way keeps me from loving the look of a 69 Camaro and these babies definitely have it under the hood where it counts!

$P1090016.jpg$P1090018.jpg$P1090020.jpg

Now here is a thread I love sinking my teeth into! I am a huge fan of Hart Steel blades. So much so that I have three of them. The top blade is a 6/8 round point satin finish made by JA and scaled in rosewood. The center was part of their 2012 holiday release. It is a 6/8 Square point polished finish made by BG and scaled in honey horn. The lower blade is also part of their 2012 holiday release. It is a 7/8 round point Damascus made by BG and scaled in spalted maple. They sourced the Damascus from Tim Zowada and then did all the cutting grinding heat treating etc in house. All of them arrived to my house in perfect shape. They were very well presented in very nice boxes with Harts signature leather storage sleeves. The edges they arrived with were second to only the edges I received on my Zowada custom razors. They are easy to hone and have remarkable edge retention. There are those that say they look plain or utilitarian, but I disagree. I think they are the muscle cars of the straight razor world. Yes you might find more flash on a Ferrari or a Porsche and I admire them, but that in no way keeps me from loving the look of a 69 Camaro and these babies definitely have it under the hood where it counts!
]

Wowza the zowada one is so nice... I'm loving the rosewood... That's my next scale purchase... After that I'm thinking white and purple heart

That rosewood scaled razor probably has more time against my face than anything else I own. It is my go to razor to try out new hones or techniques. I have honed that thing on a lot of different rocks and finished it in a variety of ways. It is the perfect test bed for me to see if I am getting what I think I should be out of a technique. When I get it right it will melt through whiskers and I know it so well that if I get it wrong I know it was me. I hesitate to call the Damascus razor a Zowada because he told me himself that he gave Hart a slab of Damascus and they had to make the razor just as if they were starting with a piece of O1. He was not trying to distance himself mind you. He just wanted to make sure that BG got the full credit he deserves. I would be lying though if I didn't admit that knowing he made the steel had a lot to do with my decision to purchase. The world is full of pattern welded stuff that is not suitable for a razor. Knowing it was Tim behind the hammer gave me every confidence that it would be outstanding steel.

My 7/8 polished in Koa, by BG. I bought mine new, and it had a bad, tuggy hone. It shaves wonderfully with a good hone. I'd say it's got more time on my face than any other since I've had it.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 540
That rosewood scaled razor probably has more time against my face than anything else I own. It is my go to razor to try out new hones or techniques. I have honed that thing on a lot of different rocks and finished it in a variety of ways. It is the perfect test bed for me to see if I am getting what I think I should be out of a technique. When I get it right it will melt through whiskers and I know it so well that if I get it wrong I know it was me. I hesitate to call the Damascus razor a Zowada because he told me himself that he gave Hart a slab of Damascus and they had to make the razor just as if they were starting with a piece of O1. He was not trying to distance himself mind you. He just wanted to make sure that BG got the full credit he deserves. I would be lying though if I didn't admit that knowing he made the steel had a lot to do with my decision to purchase. The world is full of pattern welded stuff that is not suitable for a razor. Knowing it was Tim behind the hammer gave me every confidence that it would be outstanding steel.

Ps. I spy a brush made of wolf whiskers... Hahah beautiful

Top Bottom