What's new

Let's see your flower shots!

'Depth of field' Mike. The smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field, the distance in front of and beyond the object you have focused on where other things will also be in focus. The larger the aperture number, the smaller the aperture.

dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
'Depth of field' Mike. The smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field, the distance in front of and beyond the object you have focused on where other things will also be in focus. The larger the aperture number, the smaller the aperture.

dave

Ah, yes..."depth" of field. I'm terrible on the terminology. I have my aperture set on the smallest setting for playing around with it, when I get around to messing with it again. I'm just playing around with the aperture, shutter speed, etc. where that one function is all you mess with and all the other is on auto. This is the first camera I've had that you can also put things on all manual.

I think I'm starting to understand shutter speed and aperture...but don't count on it. I have the shutter speed set to its highest, 1/4000, to try and get the hummingbird's wings to look still when it's hovering over the feeder. I took a pic. today and the bird's wings kinda look like they are still, but my zoom is not powerful enough and I can't see it clearly in the picture. That little sucker is quick and it doesn't like anyone getting close.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's a pic. of the humming bird. You have to look close...it's just to the left of the feeder and against the background of the trees. I have another location staked out where there is a lighter background that will show the bird better and will try that tomorrow. The wings on that little thing don't look like the blur you see with your naked eye though. But focus is off.

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

Here's a pic. of the humming bird. You have to look close...it's just to the left of the feeder and against the background of the trees. I have another location staked out where there is a lighter background that will show the bird better and will try that tomorrow. The wings on that little thing don't look like the blur you see with your naked eye though. But focus is off.

View attachment 886556
Hi Mike. I don't think it's your focus that's off. I think it's too high of an ISO making the photo grainy or noisy. You said you have the aperture at it's smallest, that means your'e not letting much light in at all. Combine that with a fast shutter speed and your ISO has to go through the roof to get the exposure you need. You rarely need to stop all the way down to get the depth of field you need, also lenses aren't as sharp when stopped all the way down. More stuff will be in focus, but none of it will be as sharp of a focus. Try something closer to f8 and see it that helps. You may even be able to shoot it wide open because all you really need in focus is the bird itself, but then your focus does have to be dead on. Hope this make sense and that it helps.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Hi Mike. I don't think it's your focus that's off. I think it's too high of an ISO making the photo grainy or noisy. You said you have the aperture at it's smallest, that means your'e not letting much light in at all. Combine that with a fast shutter speed and your ISO has to go through the roof to get the exposure you need. You rarely need to stop all the way down to get the depth of field you need, also lenses aren't as sharp when stopped all the way down. More stuff will be in focus, but none of it will be as sharp of a focus. Try something closer to f8 and see it that helps. You may even be able to shoot it wide open because all you really need in focus is the bird itself, but then your focus does have to be dead on. Hope this make sense and that it helps.

Thanks, Troy. I'm starting to understand that when you have aperture set small you need to compensate with other settings for more light getting in. Or something like that.

I had the aperture set on the "aperture only" priority setting to get blurred motion on flowing water or car taillights...or try to...and everything else functioned automatic. Or so it's supposed to. For the hummingbird I had the dial set on "shutter speed only" as priority and everything else was supposed to be automatic chosen by the camera. I'm still playing with it...don't know what I'm doing just yet. The bird photo was taken through the glass window of the front door, if that makes any difference.

I haven't put the camera on full manual yet...that would be a disaster. :biggrin1:

I do kinda have straight razor shaving down pretty well...used the vintage Keen Kutter this morning...only cut myself once. :lol: It was just a weeper though. Nothing I don't get with my Schick or Gem SEs sometimes.

I do need to get a better zoom lens though. I may post a thread to see what I can get for a little under $200.

Last edited:
Thanks, Troy. I'm starting to understand that when you have aperture set small you need to compensate with other settings for more light getting in. Or something like that.

I had the aperture set on the "aperture only" priority setting to get blurred motion on flowing water or car taillights...or try to...and everything else functioned automatic. Or so it's supposed to. For the hummingbird I had the dial set on "shutter speed only" as priority and everything else was supposed to be automatic chosen by the camera. I'm still playing with it...don't know what I'm doing just yet. The bird photo was taken through the glass window of the front door, if that makes any difference.

I haven't put the camera on full manual yet...that would be a disaster. :biggrin1:

I do kinda have straight razor shaving down pretty well...used the vintage Keen Kutter this morning...only cut myself once. :lol: It was just a weeper though. Nothing I don't get with my Schick or Gem SEs sometimes.

I do need to get a better zoom lens though. I may post a thread to see what I can get for a little under $200.
The window glass my be part of the blur, also it does look pretty shady, so that may be pushing the ISO up. Just keep shooting and playing and you'll get it figured out. At least with digital you can throw away a lot of pics without costing extra money for each shot.

View attachment 886556
Also looks like the background is more in focus, maybe try a few shots from the same spot but focus on the feeder, could be that your trying to focus on the bird but the AF is struggling and is picking out things behind it that it finds easier to lock on to, like the big trees etc.
I found going full manual helped me understand it all a lot quicker, plenty of terrible shots in the process though:biggrin1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The window glass my be part of the blur, also it does look pretty shady, so that may be pushing the ISO up. Just keep shooting and playing and you'll get it figured out. At least with digital you can throw away a lot of pics without costing extra money for each shot.
Amen. If I had a nickel for all that wasted film....

Top Bottom