What's new

Lets see your favorite chef's knife.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Top is a ten inch Sabatier I gave my father in the early seventies and inherited when he died twenty-one years ago. In the middle is a relatively inexpensive Tojiro ITK gyuto I bought from CKTG. Bottom is my wife's eight inch Sabatier. All three are carbon steel, not stainless, and are kept sharp with water stones.
image.jpg

All my knives being work knives are not pretty anymore. The single bevels still look nice and the custom handled Hiromoto always impresses people but I see the scratches on the cladding that showed up day one with wiping it down with a kitchen towel. The handle needs some love as the finish is coming off. She has been sharpened lots. Rode hard. Put away dry but rode hard. I'll try to snap some pictures on my long day tomorrow.

All my knives being work knives are not pretty anymore. The single bevels still look nice and the custom handled Hiromoto always impresses people but I see the scratches on the cladding that showed up day one with wiping it down with a kitchen towel. The handle needs some love as the finish is coming off. She has been sharpened lots. Rode hard. Put away dry but rode hard. I'll try to snap some pictures on my long day tomorrow.
Yeah, understandable since that's your profession. I always dreamed of being a chef but life got in the way. So this is me trying to hold onto my dream.

Some
Yeah, understandable since that's your profession. I always dreamed of being a chef but life got in the way. So this is me trying to hold onto my dream.
Some great times have been had in the last thirteen years but my body is starting to pay for it 😂
Miss a lot of holidays and family things. Why can't families do things in January and February?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
All my knives being work knives are not pretty anymore.

The Japanese have a concept of "wabi sabi". The idea is that things look better after years of the hard use for which they were intended. That's why jeans that were bought pristine indigo and got faded and worn through years of wear look so much better than the ones bought "pre-distressed" or "factory faded".

Miss a lot of holidays and family things. Why can't families do things in January and February?

2020 has given us a lot of reasons to contemplate why we do things, and how things could be done differently and better. Hopefully this will lead to more innovation and "thinking outside the box" in terms of how we manage holidays and vacations, among many other things.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I snapped three working knives above. I figure cooks understand. I look forward to your photos.

Cheap Kiwi 6" bought in a Chinese market, I use it for everything. I am not a fast veg prepper and this knife suits me as it has little mass. Razor sharp though and will cut tomatoes paper thin. Since bought I use it 20:1 over my Henckels classics knives. However, I did buy some water stones recently so that ratio may change.

proxy.php

(obvious web pic)

Top Bottom