What's new

Lets see your favorite chef's knife.

F4D1333D-CFD3-4AE2-B31D-2A103C99741A.jpeg
I got this larger gyuto recently. The smaller santoku I had purchased earlier. I loved the smaller one so much that I thought I’d try the larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this set recently at a local estate sale. The one on top is a fantastic knife and has become since my favorite.
20190528_124233.jpg

Here's mine, daily workhorse in our family, 8" Shun Reserve.
It's difficult to take a great picture of it (just like it is sometimes with straight razors.)

IMG_20190530_095317~2.jpg

As for advice on what to buy @6Cuda6 it's like everything else, some are sharper but a bit less sturdy, where others are sturdy but not as sharp, and need to be honed more frequently, different balance in your hand... etc...etc.

For sure it's fun researching and shopping for the right one.

This is a hard task... I can't pick just one but my favorite knives and blacksmith in general is Hiroshi Ashi (Ashi Hamono): The 300mm gyuto on the left is going through a full thinning at the moment and that's why you see heavy grind marks where i'm working behind the edge.

1580951400902.png

1580951486329.png

This is the 270mm with stag horn handle:

1580951589017.png

This little 240 is from Hiroshi Ashi's first run of honyaki knives more than 30 years ago:

1580951623083.png

The two gyuto pictures below came to me with boring semi mirror polishes and I worked them up to full mirror polishes then put them through a sword polishing routine that finished with uchigumori fingerstones and powder. It's really incredible how japanese stones can cause steel to look completely different from different angles.

1580951702916.png

1580951781622.png

1580951795018.png

1580951842374.png

1580951852887.png

1580951920498.png

I need to be careful about clicking on these threads. I just fell down an internet Japanese knife rabbit hole. I emerged with a 3 piece Tojiro set. More $ than a Victorinox but much less than some of the Gyutos I clicked on, and certainly an upgrade from the door prize block set I have been using.
I think I might pick up some stones sometime down the line and try my hand at sharpening. The Tojiros aren’t so expensive that I’d be afraid of learning a new skill with them.
from cktg:
proxy.php

I gave my wife a set of zwilling henckels knives and it was worth it. The knives really hold up to its reputation. She into cooking and shes been using the knives a lot. I love my wife and I love her cooking.

I found this thread quite inspiring. I do like to cook and chop things. Never gave the knife I use much thought (I know, I know, sacrilege), but we do have a Anolon SureGrip Santoku knife. Blade says it's Made in China, so I don't know how good it is.

I will give it a try cutting some vegetables for tomorrow's egg breakfast and post some pictures.

Tim

As promised, here is my Anolon Santoku knife along with some onions and mushrooms I made short-order of.

20200628_063334.jpg

These veggies went into this morning's breakfast - three eggs over easy on a slice of homemade bread.

20200628_065127.jpg

Any thoughts on this particular knife would be appreciated? Is this considered a decent entry-level Santoku knife or is there something better I should consider?

Tim

As promised, here is my Anolon Santoku knife along with some onions and mushrooms I made short-order of.

View attachment 1118826

These veggies went into this morning's breakfast - three eggs over easy on a slice of homemade bread.

View attachment 1118827

Any thoughts on this particular knife would be appreciated? Is this considered a decent entry-level Santoku knife or is there something better I should consider?

Tim
I'd go to KKF or kitchenknifeforums.com for specific guidance. I've never heard of it, doesn't compare to decent entry level options. Maybe also check out chefknivestogo.com too. I'm guessing you want stainless, as opposed to carbon?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

We can send you down a fascinating and expensive rabbit hole of Japanese chef knives if you like ...

Top Bottom