What's new

Lets see your favorite chef's knife.

Stailess or carbon doesnt matter IMO.

The individual knife matters. The geometry, the heat treat, etc. My nr 1 is shiro, nr 2 is r2 stainless. The former is medium thickness for a gyuto, the latter is an ultra laser.

My recommendation is to get a gyuto rather than a western style chef's knife and just avoid bone/frozen with it and use a beater on the latter. 200 is about the entry price for a decent one, IMO. I like Wakui for not too much money. I'd stick to the 240mm length; this gives you adequate height without being too long. For me 210s are almost all too short and 270s tend to be too long. Also IME a lot of kanto area knives run long so 270s start pushing yanagiba territory for length.

One thing to note is most good knives are ground and sharpened asymmetrically and require some skill to sharpen. I really despise system sharpeners for these knives even though they can produce astonishingly good results on pocket knives or western knives. I have tried knives that had sharpness beyond what I can do by hand (which is not too shabby if I may stroke my own ego) but they steer noticeably after coming off a wickedsharp or whatever. I stongly prefer Japanese natural stones and my personal favorite that I use a ton ton ton is a shobudani that's capable of porduicing edges that rival 8k synthetics.

Stailess or carbon doesnt matter IMO.

The individual knife matters. The geometry, the heat treat, etc. My nr 1 is shiro, nr 2 is r2 stainless. The former is medium thickness for a gyuto, the latter is an ultra laser.

My recommendation is to get a gyuto rather than a western style chef's knife and just avoid bone/frozen with it and use a beater on the latter. 200 is about the entry price for a decent one, IMO. I like Wakui for not too much money. I'd stick to the 240mm length; this gives you adequate height without being too long. For me 210s are almost all too short and 270s tend to be too long. Also IME a lot of kanto area knives run long so 270s start pushing yanagiba territory for length.

One thing to note is most good knives are ground and sharpened asymmetrically and require some skill to sharpen. I really despise system sharpeners for these knives even though they can produce astonishingly good results on pocket knives or western knives. I have tried knives that had sharpness beyond what I can do by hand (which is not too shabby if I may stroke my own ego) but they steer noticeably after coming off a wickedsharp or whatever. I stongly prefer Japanese natural stones and my personal favorite that I use a ton ton ton is a shobudani that's capable of porduicing edges that rival 8k synthetics.
Thanks for the great info.

A pro chef and a home cook have very different needs. Someone who is prepping in a commercial kitchen, using a knife three hours a day, for example, and has good knife skills, may be best served by a ten inch chef's knife. The home cook cutting up two boneless chicken breasts would be fine with a six inch utility or petty knife. Task, skills, hand size are all important factors. Preferences, too.

The cutting tool which gets talked about little: Scissors. I have a pair of take apart scissors which get used for trimming green beans, cutting up whole chicken, and many other jobs. And unlike my good knives, it gets tossed in the dishwasher sometimes. :)

20190420_162036.jpg
Ive had the 10 inch model for about 15 years and its going strong. Fits my hand perfectly, and its a heavy, sturdy knife. Easy to sharpen, and it holds an edge for a long time when a steel is used regularly. Sime of the other knives of the same series have not been as good at holding that same level of sharpness. I use this knife for the heavier tasks like cutting through bones, shellfish, etc. where i would fear damaging the relatively thin and light Japanese blade.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro Chef Knife

Anyone have any experience or insights on this knife. Pretty good deal right now.

That is a very good knife currently offered at an excellent price, and I would still take the 8" Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife over that offer every day of the week.

I'll add that I used Henckels knives for about 20 years and enjoyed them. The Victorinox is lighter with a better grip--just overall easier to handle. I switched after I saw so many of my friends both in the industry and in BBQ competitions go with the Victorinox. I have not regretted it for one moment.

This is a tough question as many years ago I went down the rabbit hole of fine kitchen cutlery, primarily Japanese boutique and custom designs from American blade smiths.

Here's how I store all but my most highly prized knives in my kitchen.

proxy.php

My favorite kitchen knife of all time is my one of a kind, commissioned boning knife by Michael Rader M.S. The blade is made out of 52100 and has an integral bolster forged into it. The handle is made out of fossilized walrus penis LOL, it's truly a work of art.

proxy.php

My favorite chef knife is my Shigefusa 240mm Gyuto with friction fit saya. Shigefusa and Kato are in my opinion, the two ultimate Japanese traditional blade smiths to own a knife from.

proxy.php

My second favorite chef knife, this time made by the father and son duo HHH Custom Knives. The core is 52100, obviously I love that steel for kitchen cutlery, wrapped sanmai style with damascus steel.

proxy.php

KKF? If that’s the case then yep, those were my old stomping grounds. You’re not Jim, one of the founders along with Dave Martell are you?

I truly enjoy reading many knife threads, whether here or on specialized knife forums. I've found everyone has different tastes when it comes to knives and I'm definitely no exception.

After many years of kitchen knife work, these are the ones I use on a regular every day basis. I've got some other knives, mostly Japanese old Mac ones that are more my beater knives that I still keep in top condition and some other Wustof Trident Classics like bread and utility that come out on occasion... but the four here are the ones I use everyday with great pleasure.

1) Wustof Trident Classic 8 inch Chef's knife. This is my go to kitchen knife, twenty year old stainless that takes and holds an edge nicely.

2) Wustof Trudent Classic 3.5 inch paring knife. The one knife that is truly indispensable in a kitchen next to a Chef's knife!

3) Watanabe Hitachi Blue Steel 165mm Nakiri. This is THE knife when I have to cut a lot of vegetables as the knife glides through like butter! The edge is unbelievably sharp and it holds it well.

4) Watanabe 5 inch Hifachi Blue Steel Utility Knife. THIS could very well be my favorite kitchen knife! Does everything well, slices, bones, dices, pares... super razor sharp, easy to handle.

I'm an aficionado of medium to smaller knives as around a home kitchen, they're easier and safer to handle. When someone here wants to join in on the cooking, I give them my Wustofs as if they hit an edge, its straight forward to align and resharpen and hone. With the thinner, sharper Watanabe Blue Steel Carbons, frankly, you've got to know what you're doing and how to really handle a carbon steel knife.

If I were in the market for another Chef's knife or just getting started, the Victorinox Pro Chef and Paring knives will do it all.
20190509_104445.jpg

Nice knives! I have a Henckels International (good knife for the money) that works well, but I hear my MIL using it to scrape a cutting board everyday so I haven't bothered sharpening it.
When I have more money I may get some better kitchen knives and put them somewhere out of their reach!

I bought my parents a set of Zwilling Henckels Knives (Solingen, forged not stamped) for Christmas a couple years ago. They said they really like them and when I used them I thought they performed well.

Top Bottom