What's new

Lets see your favorite chef's knife.

Jacques Pepin was so good with a knife he could debone a chicken quickly with just a paring knife. And Asian chefs can do everything with a cleaver. I need half a dozen knives because my skills are not on that level. LOL

• Blacksmith: Takeda San
  • Construction: Hammer Forged, San Mai
  • Edge Steel: Aogami Super Steel
  • Cladding: Stainless Steel
  • Finish: Kurouchi
  • Handle: Rosewood Octaognal
  • Ferrule: Black Pakka Wood
  • Size and Height: They vary from knife to knife.
  • Edge Grind: Even 50/50
  • Weight: 6.6 ounces
  • Blade Length: 250 mm (9.75")
  • Overall Length: 390 mm (15.25")
  • Thickness at Heel: 2.8 mm
  • Blade Height: 60.0 mm
    20190417_205359.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Nice necropost .. my favorite is still the B&B special order from Dave Martell .. though admittedly I use the parer more on a daily basis

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Ok now the big question.. stainless only or no?

IMO, carbon steel all the way. Sharpness and edge holding, no contest. They require more care and maintenance than SS but worth it. Don't confuse true carbon steel with "high carbon steel" which is just a type of stainless steel.

Unfortunately carbon steel knifes are difficult to find if you prefer euro style grinds. Pallarés still makes true carbon steel knives, but styles are somewhat limited. There are also vintage carbon steel American and euro knives out there. If you are after an asian knife then carbon steel options open up quite a bit.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
If you want to try out a carbon steel chef's knife, 6 3/4" blade, not going to break the bank and easy to get your hands on, Lee Valley have one.

Peasant Chef's Knife - Lee Valley Tools
dave

Dave i live just outside of Brockville but i travel for a living and seem to be spending way to much time lately working in TO....lol.

That peasant knife looks interesting.

And here's a link to the Pallarés Aragon knives in different lengths (They may be available elsewhere cheaper, I didn't do an extensive search)...

Pallares Solsana Kitchen Knives - Aragon Beechwood

Here's another sight with the Pallares knives (this is where I bought mine a couple years back)...

Pallarès Solsona Aragon Kitchen Knife

I have a couple of their knives and they are wicked sharp and easy to keep that way.

Here is my only carbon steel knife. It's a huge ERN. Yep the same co. that made the razors. I use it when I have to cut veggies for a big crowd, but it needs sharpening each time. Sweet knife though.

09180003_zpse45939fe.jpg

Dave i live just outside of Brockville but i travel for a living and seem to be spending way to much time lately working in TO....lol.
There’s a store called knife. Sell lots of great kitchen knives. Been tempted to pick one up myself. Knives | KNIFE

My only problem is I don’t like long knives. So been looking for the perfect short one.

I am very fussy when it comes to knives to use in the kitchen, to the point that when I go on holidays where I have cooking facilities, I will take my smallest, but also most versatile little helper with me. I have had my cooking fun spoiled by the typical useless blunt things they call knives too often.

This is it, and I can do most, if not all the typical jobs with it.
GS-57.jpg
Its only about 4 inches long, but boy does it cut!

At home I have many knives, but the ones I reach for in most cases are the Global chefs knife, for slicing meat and bigger veggies, and the small one above, for just about everything else.
G-77.jpg
Like most things, its personal preference, but what I love about Global is the fact that the blades are thin, the knives are light, easy to clean and maintain, comfortable to use and they sharpen easily and hold a edge for a reasonable time. The scalloped blade makes a big difference when you slice several slices, because it makes what you cut slide off and not stick to the blade. The scallops, or flutes break the vacuum of a clean slice. Saves time, effort and frustration.

These blades are not made for heavy work, they are more precision instruments, so when I have to chop bony things like halving a chicken, or frozen meat, I will use something stronger that I don't care about.

Like razors, no knife will stay sharp for long, so much of your enjoyment of them will depend on your ability to keep them sharp. No point in spending a lot of money on a good knife, if you can't sharpen them.

There’s a store called knife. Sell lots of great kitchen knives. Been tempted to pick one up myself. Knives | KNIFE

My only problem is I don’t like long knives. So been looking for the perfect short one.

That looks great! The guy who opened the store here is a Toronto transplant.

That peasant knife looks interesting.

And here's a link to the Pallarés Aragon knives in different lengths (They may be available elsewhere cheaper, I didn't do an extensive search)...

Pallares Solsana Kitchen Knives - Aragon Beechwood

Here's another sight with the Pallares knives (this is where I bought mine a couple years back)...

Pallarès Solsona Aragon Kitchen Knife

I have a couple of their knives and they are wicked sharp and easy to keep that way.

Thanks for the info BT, suit my style fine! My daughter's going to be in Barcelona in July, will see what i can talk her into.

The second link, they also have some nice looking carbon steel Sabatier's with olivewood handles.

Sabatier Chef's Knife Carbone Steel with Olivewood Handle
dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve beenlooking at one of those ti kitchen knives. I think they did a special collaboration with le cruset too.

Top Bottom