What's new

Lets see your favorite chef's knife.

From the 'what are those kids at KKF doing' files, Bidinger with a special grind, doing the rounds on October apple cider pressing. Magnacut, osage handle.
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_E1866.JPG

I have collected quite a few kitchen knives over the past 50+ years. Some are made from soft steel that is easy to sharpen and can take the abuse of chopping bones, etc. Others are made from very hard steel that are a pain to sharpen, but hold an edge well. However, you have to be very careful not to abuse hard edges to prevent chipping if it contacts hard objects like bone.

I recently have acquired some Cangshan knives. They are made in China in a city known for knife making for 1400 years. They use a variety of steels from Germany, Sweden, and Japan. The ones I got are made from German X50CrMoV15 steel hardened to 58 HRC. This is the same steel used by the most famous German knifemakers. It is hard enough to take and hold a hair-whittling edge, yet not so hard as to be difficult to sharpen.

My wife tends to use a paring knife for nearly all knife tasks. I recently got her a Dalstrong paring knife that is shaped like a miniature Kiritsuke knife. It is made of German steel, but since this was part of the Dalstrong value line called Vanquish, I suspect it is a cheaper steel than that used in my Cangshan knives as it is only HRC 55. However, my wife tends to toss knives in the dish drainer along with eating utensils, so I wanted a knife that would not chip.

Takamura R2 Petty. A laser if there ever was one. Use this thing 75% of the time at work, chef knife only comes out for large, hard produce like yams/squash and my Nakiri picks up other bulk, blade - gentle work like slicing bunches of scallions.

BBD19099-640C-41DF-B42F-2BBD63C5B2A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Recents - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg

The Henckels at top dates from 1975. Nice and heavy, it's my favorite for tough tasks. Immediately below is a le Prince Gastronome out of France, and it's actually my favorite of all as can be seen from the amount of steel missing near the bolster. It's of a grade of stainless that behaves more like carbon steel; takes an edge easily, and sings more softly against a sharpening steel than does most stainless. Ignore the bullseye pattern, a photo anomaly. The Henckels sheepsfoot and Wusthof stubby chef's are my wife's favorites.

Attachments

• Recents - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg
    Recents - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 3
I’ve been using the Fujiwara FKM 150 mm petty knife for years. I started with the 120 mm but found it a little small when working on large vegetables like sweet potatoes and squashes.

Picked up this 12” chef knife from Bernal Cutlery a little while ago. Knife is made by J.Adams in Sheffield, I ended up having to regrind this blade on my 2x72, it had a large area in the center where it wouldn’t touch the cutting board, pretty poor QC imo. However, after the regrind this thing is just phenomenal, I gave it a very slight convex into the edge so it basically has just a micro bevel. Knife isn’t particularly thin but it cuts well above its pay grade, barely disturbs the cut in something like dicing an onion. I’ve gravitated more towards big knives recently, and the lightweight of this large blade makes it very nimble and wieldy. Great patina too.

IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_1998.jpeg

Picked up this 12” chef knife from Bernal Cutlery a little while ago. Knife is made by J.Adams in Sheffield, I ended up having to regrind this blade on my 2x72, it had a large area in the center where it wouldn’t touch the cutting board, pretty poor QC imo. However, after the regrind this thing is just phenomenal, I gave it a very slight convex into the edge so it basically has just a micro bevel. Knife isn’t particularly thin but it cuts well above its pay grade, barely disturbs the cut in something like dicing an onion. I’ve gravitated more towards big knives recently, and the lightweight of this large blade makes it very nimble and wieldy. Great patina too.

View attachment 1614928View attachment 1614929
Funsies!

Short of the FRP walls looking old your kitchen looks great from what I see of it. Hopefully its something you like hearing from another food service professional!

I'll also take a plate of root veg and taters please.

Top Bottom