What's new

Let's see your bird pictures!

8AC6368E-9D43-4422-814E-371CAF6502D0.jpeg
Took this at my sister and brother-in-laws’ farm last weekend. Young Great Horned owl. Also got some of Mom and a sibling. They let me get close enough for some good shots.

I already posted this in the cell phone shot thread, but thought I would put it here too. I really wish I would have had my real camera this morning, but at least I had my phone. I thought this was a juvenile, but after a little research I think it's an adult Common Nighthawk. Not sure why it let me get so close, but glad it did and glad I had my phone. Fairly heavy crop, but I was less than 10 feet away.
20190723_065855(c).jpg

Killy Hawks are neat. Have you ever heard them climbing and diving repeatedly at bugs above a street lamp or othe lighting source? The chirping getting faint as they circle upwards, and then the sound of their speed dive and finally their wings fluttering when they pull out of the dive....

Great photo op there. Thanks for sharing.

I thought this was a juvenile, but after a little research I think it's an adult Common Nighthawk.

Common nighthawk it is, but most likely a juvenile. Its plumage isn't developed, still showing some remnant down feathers, and the throat patch hasn't shown up; it's more prominent in adults. Being a juvenile may also explain your close approach, and, it might be tuckered out.... they work the night shift!

Don

Common nighthawk it is, but most likely a juvenile. Its plumage isn't developed, still showing some remnant down feathers, and the throat patch hasn't shown up; it's more prominent in adults. Being a juvenile may also explain your close approach, and, it might be tuckered out.... they work the night shift!

Don
Thanks for the info! When I first pulled into my work parking lot it was just sitting in the middle of the lot. If I would have picked one spot over, and been paying less attention, I might have ran it over. I got my phone ready, stepped out of the truck, and walked toward it wondering if it was hurt. I wanted to make sure it was out of the way before anyone else coming hit it. It flew 15 feet of so to the dumpster where I got the pic. it sat for a minute or so then flew off. I think it was tired from a night of hunting. I'm thinking it thought it's camouflage was enough to just rest right there in plain sight, not realizing the lot was about to get busy. It really did blend in with the stones well. I watched a few Youtube videos and realized I've head them many times before, but thought it was some type of insect. Very cool to know who's making that noise now.

I watched a few Youtube videos and realized I've head them many times before, but thought it was some type of insect. Very cool to know who's making that noise now.

That "peent" call is an important part of any urban night. Flat roofs are their nesting areas.

Don

Broad-winged hawk, juvenile, taking it easy on the neighbor's fence.

DSCN0940.JPG

A pair had a nest in our neighborhood, much to the consternation of all the other songbirds, especially the robins.

Don

That "peent" call is an important part of any urban night. Flat roofs are their nesting areas.

Don
Thanks for the info! It did fly up and over a flat roof, I assumed it kept going and went to the trees on the other side, but maybe not. Also great pic!

Top Bottom