What's new

Let's see your bird pictures!

Fantastic shots @sarimento1. I really enjoy your pics. Thanks for sharing.

thx for nice words!
hoping to catch a couple shots when/if the owlets come out!
the male was out yesterday afternoon and offered a nice wing stretch...

proxy.php

altho the male flew away this friday morning, the red shouldered hawks offered some nice portraits after the clouds burned off...

proxy.php

this sunday morning at the swamp.
one of the owls was out foraging before dawn and gave me a couple glimpses as it was headed back.
heavily cropped but, luckily, reasonably in focus.
again, i had to edit a severe case of red-eye.

proxy.php

help w/id?

It's a harrier, also known as a marsh hawk. Female. For ID, look for a white patch visible on both sexes at the base of the tail. You can see it a little better in your second shot. The male will be a pale gray bird.

Nice shots, by the way; all of 'em. Be careful with the great horned owls, especially photographing their owlets. The birds are well known for aggressively defending their brood. You have an active nest going on! Here in Minnesota, great horned owls will soon be starting their nesting season, probably by early February.

Last edited:
It's a harrier, also known as a marsh hawk. Female. For ID, look for a white patch visible on both sexes at the base of the tail. You can see it a little better in your second shot. The male will be a pale gray bird.

Nice shots, by the way; all of 'em. Be careful with the great horned owls, especially photographing their owlets. The birds are well known for aggressively defending their brood. You have an active nest going on! Here in Minnesota, great horned owls will soon be starting their nesting season, probably by early February.

thx, good advice.
it's in the nwr, and although 20ft up in tall oak tree, the rangers might well fence-off the area when they hatch.

Top Bottom