What's new

Lets praise mild razors

Maybe I can add a point to ponder as we age we heal slower then a guy under 40 or 50.

With Mild you might need do 2 - 3 passes, but then you get less irritation.

So being old, being retired, Mild Seem to work for me.

I know my Skin is sensitive, heals slow, so why do I want to be in pain, or deal with Skin that was aggravated by irritation?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Is the FOCS considered "mild"? If so, it's another "mild" razor I enjoy using. It doesn't give me as close of a shave as some of my other razors, but it's very comfortable to use.

By my definition (above in this thread) the FOCS is for sure mild.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mild can be a lot things when it comes to DE shaving. For me it was a rather speedy trip down the Tech rabbit hole, and eventually ending with a Tech/NEW Hybrid. And while considered more mild than aggressive it's certainly the most rewarding razor I've ever used - mild yes but with just enough aggression to make quick work of even a 3 day growth. The best part though is how comfortable yet efficient it is around my problem areas, like my big 'ol Adams apple - it practically invites an effortless technique that would be certain disaster with one of my vintage open comb variants.

:sailor:

Totally agree 100 percent Phil , I use a super speed for just about every shave, usually a black handled . I have a fairly tough beard and get an excellent shave in one pass . I use Derby , Shark , or Astra blades .
I have one of those black Super Speeds a 1967. First razor I ever used. Only my 1961 Tech is better but not by much. Only 2 passes for a DFS too.

I was reading this thread, and realized I hadn't yet had my evening shave. So I took a break from B&B, took out my Slim set to 2, got a great, smooth, close shave, and now I'm back. The Slim usually is my travel option, and at home I mostly use a GC68-P with the titanium handle, which I find a bit smoother than the Slim, or the Superspeed or Tech, but all are good. I have a relatively light beard, and I certainly wouldn't brag about my technique, but for me, mild razors are the only way to go, at least for everyday shaving. If I haven't shaved in a few days, I admit, the GC84-P, or the Slim set to 3, are more efficient.

this thread reminded me that I hadn't used my trusty Feather AS-D2. (I shave less frequently and I don't often have 2 or less days growth- the sweet spot for the AS-D2). Holy cow this was an amazing shave. There is something about the razor that goes being smooth to downright soothing, particularly when couple with a sharp blade (7 O'clock black, second shave) and Barrister and Mann's Omnibus base.

Attachments

• IMG_4776.jpeg
    IMG_4776.jpeg
    641.8 KB · Views: 17
Well I did shave now with a KCG (now that is really mild),Canadian Pre-War Tech, English Flat Bottom Tech recently and yea they were nice, not sure what else I can say except the KCG is really, i mean really mild.

All homage to the Post War Tech!
I'll second that. I love my English Post War tech, very mild, close shaver. A surprising shave today with Wilkinson Sword Classic, Delron plastic model, very mild but BBS for 9 hours and next to no alum block response. Another unappreciated razor. A razor doesn't have to take a layer of skin off to get a good shave! All my aggressive razors are sitting on the bench now.

I have a Heritage and a EJ DE89. They do seem to be the same head.

I also have a King C. Gillette. My understanding is that it is made in China. The bottom plate looks a bit different on the underneath side but side by side, looks identical otherwise.

I shaved with the DE89 two days ago and the K.C G. yesterday. I can't really tell any difference.

The Heritage have been on and off again as to availability. Currently they have been dropped from my searches on Amazon.

The K.C.G., which has gone up in price at Walgreens from $30 to $35 is currently going for $20.75 on Amazon. Hard to beat at this price. Plus it includes a tuck of five K.C.G. blades that have a retail value of $3.50. This effectively brings the price of the razor down to $17.25.

proxy.php

Though my 34c is slightly milder, I have a more difficult time getting as close of a shave with it. I just put it under the sink earlier this AM.

On a 1-10 scale, I rate the 89's about a "5" and the 34c a "4.5". Noting that I also shave with a R41 head just fine.

I think that that any of the 89's will shave just fine for anyone not seeking an overly aggressive razor.

Shaved thus AM with the

Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L aka L6

proxy.php

It is a very nice, smooth mild shaving razor. Amazon has it for only $6.50.

This is a very mild razor. Shaving with it feels like there isn't even a blade in it. Still have a nice close comfortable shave with no irritation.

Shaved with the 34c on Sunday.

This week I have been shaving with the BIC Chrome Platinum blade and my shaves have been very smooth.

Reactions: tm3
I usually do a 3 pass shave every other day. When I want a relaxing easy shave I reach for my Karve CB with the A head, loaded with a Gillette Platinum. Very close with never a weeper. Next choice would be the Rockwell S with head 3.

I have been getting milder through the years. I had been using my Rockwell 6S on plate 5, then plate 4 for many years, and then went to plate 3. My technique is pretty good after 9 years of this, so I found with 3 I can do very well. But recently I bought the Henson AL13 mild. I just love it. I have been shaving with it for a week now with an Astra SP, and these are the most comfortable shaves of all.

I have been getting milder through the years. I had been using my Rockwell 6S on plate 5, then plate 4 for many years, and then went to plate 3. My technique is pretty good after 9 years of this, so I found with 3 I can do very well. But recently I bought the Henson AL13 mild. I just love it. I have been shaving with it for a week now with an Astra SP, and these are the most comfortable shaves of all.
I'm experiencing the same phenomenon! Milder seems to work better as I age. Techs, Kronas, Game Changer 68 Plate, seem to be more efficient as time moves on. Maybe the beard is getting thinner, or slower growing or something. Maybe when I reach a hundred, I won't need to shave at all! If this trend keeps up.

Milder seems to work better as I age. Techs, Kronas, Game Changer 68 Plate, seem to be more efficient as time moves on. Maybe the beard is getting thinner, or slower growing or something.

I find this comment interesting. Most of the comments I read from older shavers are a out how their beards have gotten harder and more wire-like as they age.

I am 68 and my observations are more inline with yours. I don't know that my whiskers have gotten any thinner but they seem to be pretty much the same as when I was in my younger years. I really haven't noticed any real difference?

Reactions: tm3
Who doesn't like mild? But you gotta get stuff done. To me the Rockwell 6S is the most overrated razor on the planet. Sure it's mild, leaves everything behind. Especially if you don't shave every day. Gotta spend way too much time going over and over. Defeats the purpose, if you ask me.

Who doesn't like mild? But you gotta get stuff done. To me the Rockwell 6S is the most overrated razor on the planet. Sure it's mild, leaves everything behind. Especially if you don't shave every day. Gotta spend way too much time going over and over. Defeats the purpose, if you ask me.
I have no problem getting a BBS-everywhere shave with the 6S on 4, and it's only slightly harder on 3. OTOH, it's 118 grams and very top-heavy. The Game Changer with the titanium handle is only 74 grams and only slightly top-heavy, which I like. The 68-P is great for everyday shaving, and if I miss a few days, the 84-P is a great option. But neither the GC nor anything else I've tried can match the 6S in smoothness and feeling like there's no blade in it. When Rockwell makes a 6T, I'll be tempted. YMMV.

Mild v/s Aggressive are just people opinions. Think everyones definition is different of what is Mild or Aggressive is.

Sort of like going to NYC and asking 100 strangers for a recommendation on find BEST Bagel in Manhattan. Many answers, all good, in person s opinion.
Kossar’s Bagels and Bialys on 74th and York. My hood.

Attachments

• IMG_4557.png
    IMG_4557.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
Kossar’s Bagels and Bialys on 74th and York. My hood.

My hood was as kid every summer Queen & Brooklyn. Use to spend summers with Grandmother and Uncles home.

Good food was every where, cheap, and yummy.

Why do you need aggressive razor, to prove you man enough to shave aggressive?

I would rather do two or three passes with mild, and have better expiernce.

Top Bottom