What's new

Lets praise mild razors

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Most seem to be in search of aggressive razors. I shave every day and use Feather and Àbove the tie m1 which must be 2 of the mildest razors ever!, I get a super smooth, wonderful shave every day, using soaps and cream of all price levels. My skin us excellent and I feel like a millionaire every day!
Yes - a Feather in a mild razor (Tech, AS-D2, etc.) provides a blissful shave.

I had a Merkur 23C (180) "Long Handle". I'm not sure, but it has to be in the 'top 10' of mild razors. It's often recommended for women, so I gave it to my oldest daughter.

However, it caused problems when I went to a more "Aggressive" razor. My 'technique' had become sloppy. Luckily, I slowed down and let the weight of the razor do the work. So, no major bloodletting.

I've worked my way up to a Lupo .95 SB with no drama - so, far.

b/r

ON_1

I also like mild razor. My first razor was the AS-D2. It doesn't get used after I got the Tatara Masamune. This feels just as mild, but is a level up in efficiency. After two to three passes my results are quite similar if I compare to more efficient razors.

Even though I like mild razor, my favourite is the Blackland Blacbird TI.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don’t think any of my top 6 razors would be considered “aggressive”. I do have a R41 sitting in the wings. That might be an interesting trial for me. I try to buy razors used by others here who also like the “mild, but efficient” razors like the Athena, Blutt, standard gap Wolfmans, etc. With my face and whiskers, I get 12 shaves from all of them if I do my part.

@Mr. Shavington thinks we might be able to push our Claymore Evolutions to a net 12 hours instead of 10, if we play around with the angles a bit.

They key to using a mild razor is equipping it with a super sharp blade. My mildest razor is the Van der Hagen/Weishi long handled TTO razor. I love using it with a BIC Chrome Platinum, Nacet, or 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) blade. However, even at that, it is not a great combination to use when my coarse beard has multiple days of growth. I normally do a 4 pass shave and reserve the VDH for my final pass.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The old Gillette's are relatively mild when compared to some modern iterations out there.
I personally believe that proper technique will give me a perfect shave even with what is considered a mild razor, and that some folks new to this hobby tend to want an "aggressive" razor to make up for poor technique.

...some folks new to this hobby tend to want an "aggressive" razor to make up for poor technique.
I think this is true for me, actually. I have only been using DE razors for just over a year. An increase in so-called "aggressiveness," ironically, gave me better shaves with less irritation. I think the reason is with "mild" razors my technique isn't sufficient to maintain proper angle and so forth and I end up doing more passes to get an acceptable result.

My first and only razor for the first 9 years was Merkur 33c, worked the best with Wilkinson Sword or Astra but not really good with Feather. Recently switched to Merkur Progress and indeed had to work on my technic a little bit to make it work for me.
But mild razors are great everyday shavers

I've been DE shaving under a year and a half and I still stay very mild.

My rotation for the last 6 months+

-Slim or Fatboy at 3-4 max
-Blue Tip (which I'm sort of surprised isn't getting more mentions in this thread)
-KCG

I moved to Feathers for my last 4 blades in a row and haven't felt a need to go any more aggressive.

I jumped into wet shaving clueless, purchasing razors I had no business to that were way above my skillset. Once the voice of reason spoke up (internally and on this forum) I slowed down, regrouped, and reached for a Gillette Tech and eventually a Fatip Piccolo. Since than, no nicks or cuts that drain out my AB+ for a much more pleasant shaving experience. These two razors can be souped up with sharp blades while still maintaining their comfort. The journey continues...

EDIT: I forgot honorable mention of the Karve CB with a B or C plate, both very mild and well behaved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom