What's new

Let's play shaving trivia!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
One of the great things about this hobby is how much there is to learn. The longer I collect and shave the more I learn and the more I want to grow. There are a lot of people here with a wealth of knowledge, let's share it in a fun way that gets people curious to learn more!

A couple of rules...

1) Your trivia question must be based in fact. Nothing like, "What is the best TTO safety razor?" While that question might have an answer based in fact for you, it isn't verifiable for everyone. Nothing involving personal opinion or based on hearsay.

2) In order to ask a question you must answer the previous question...discussion is always welcome and you need not answer a question to join in the conversation.

3) When offering an answer you must quote the post which asked the question. This will help keep answers and questions together as we move along.

4) Don't be afraid to ask a poster for their source on a bit of info they provide/don't be offended if you are asked. No one is "calling anyone out". This is about learning and growth. Sometimes the answer is "I just know" and in many cases experience is the answer. Hopefully in most cases though we can find a verifiable source such as the shave wiki or The Safety Razor Compendium. That being said you need not provide a source to answer a question, just be aware someone might like to research a topic further and a source can be very helpful.

5) All aspects of this hobby are open for questions and answers. SE/DE/SR/Shavette/Fragrance/Soap/Cream/brushes/etc. Anything you have knowledge of relating to shaving that you think others may not know or may find interesting. Again, this is about learning, growth and fun!

6) As always, gentlemanly and ladylike discourse is the rule of the day. It is okay to disagree or question an answer or comment's validity but please do so respectfully.

I'll get things started with a question I think many of you will immediately know the answer to:

In the Gillette alphanumeric date code system, which letter of the alphabet is omitted?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brandaves

Another bit to add to that. There are a few Qs floating around out there.
I didn't know that! Where have there been Q's found? On specific razors or countries?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I didn't know that! Where have there been Q's found? On specific razors or countries?

I have a Q1 black beauty. Some have joked the line in the Q is a strategically placed nick, but I believe it to be a genuine. I'll try to post a pic later.

brandaves

I have a Q1 black beauty. Some have joked the line in the Q is a strategically placed nick, but I believe it to be a genuine. I'll try to post a pic later.
That really cool, and a unique find...not many posts in here, but I already learned something!

Here is my question.

Is it possible to positively date a 1950 Super Speed even thought it has no-date-code.

brandaves

Here is my question.

Is it possible to positively date a 1950 Super Speed even thought it has no-date-code.

Good question. I'll have to research this. I think I have a 1950 SS, I'll have to look. I don't know the answer off hand...I would assume yes but I don't know how yet.

brandaves

Here is my question.

So this is turning out to be a great question as I have 3 in my collection with no date code. The only obvious discernible difference I can find is that two of them have blade notches and one doesn't (see photo). I'm guessing the one without is an earlier model...I'm not sure.
proxy.php

So this is turning out to be a great question as I have 3 in my collection with no date code. The only obvious discernible difference I can find is that two of them have blade notches and one doesn't (see photo). I'm guessing the one without is an earlier model...I'm not sure.
proxy.php

Of the two with a notched centre bar do either have any writing on the inside of the baseplate viewable by opening the doors?

brandaves

Of the two with a notched centre bar do either have any writing on the inside of the baseplate viewable by opening the doors?
All three say the same thing along the center: "PAT NOS. ON PACKAGE"

Date codes began January 1951, so the last month of Q1 1951. The first ones should be A1 dated as far as I know.

For whatever reason i never got a notification for this thread but i’m glad to see it has picked up and also that my guess was actually pretty close. Wish i could answer on the 50’s SS but my shaving knowledge isn’t very deep. Some guys here are pretty incredible with that stuff so hopefully they’ll chime in (though the observation about the blade notches is a shrewd one @brandaves!) Here’s my question: What is the first non-corporate DE razor produced from 1980 onward? I.E. non-Gillette, Schick, etc.

brandaves

For whatever reason i never got a notification for this thread but i’m glad to see it has picked up and also that my guess was actually pretty close. Wish i could answer on the 50’s SS but my shaving knowledge isn’t very deep. Some guys here are pretty incredible with that stuff so hopefully they’ll chime in (though the observation about the blade notches is a shrewd one @brandaves!) Here’s my question: What is the first non-corporate DE razor produced from 1980 onward? I.E. non-Gillette, Schick, etc.
I'm not sure I understand the question...the first DE razor not produced by a big shaving corporation?

I'm not sure I understand the question...the first DE razor not produced by a big shaving corporation?

Sorry should’ve been a little more clear. I wanted to know who was manufacturing DE razors (other than Gillette etc) in the 80’s and 90’s. Like who made the first “artisan” razor in the modern era? My guess is Muhle but i honestly don’t know. I can’t imagine there were many third party razors around during that time since i never see anyone mention them and i’m curious to see if anyone was making them.

Thank you for your answer! Well done. You're entitled to ask a question if you'd like!

His answer is correct. Only the 1950 Super Speed had 'PAT NOS ON PKG.' 1949 was spelled 'PACKAGE' and 1951 had a date code.

Top Bottom