What's new

Let's Meet Garrett @gwsmallwood

Chances are You've already bumped into Garrett a time or two. Especially if you've ever asked a head shaving question or hang around the beard section. Well it's time to get to know him a little better.

1. What is your real name?
Garrett Smallwood

2. What is the meaning of your username?
G. W. Smallwood. I've never believed in the "anonymous" online persona. I am who I am, no matter where I am.

3. Roughly where on this this big blue ball do you live?
Gilbert, AZ. I'm a rare Valley of the Sun Native.

4. How old are you?
36, I am. Sorry, I just got done watching some Star Wars.

5. What do you do in real life?
I earn my money as an engineer. I spend my time as a Disciple, Husband, and Father, hopefully in that order if I'm doing it right.

6. When did you first start to grow facial hair, and when did it actually start to look decent?
I started getting heavy fuzz in about sixth grade. I'll embarrass myself a little and include my freshman baseball photo below. That was my "vote for Pedro" phase. I would say it started to look decent around 21.

498A9F19-94BA-4973-9B38-B2C4853E17F0.jpeg

7. What type of facial hair do you wear, and how often do you change it up?
I don't change it too often. Right now, I believe it's called a beard with epic 'stache. In my early 20's I typically had a soul patch or just the goatee. I spent about a decade with a circle beard. In the past couple of years I started experimenting with the beard, and the handlebar 'stache came along this summer.

1BB661F4-7483-4AEB-936F-F9E6E9890020.jpeg

8. What types of products do you use, and did you use any before you started hanging around here?
I never used anything until about a year ago when I committed to a long beard trial. Now I primarily use oil and wax. I've tried some balms, but I'm not crazy about the way they feel. I've tried a few different beard washes and conditioners, and they all seem to work fine, though I'm not convinced they're much better than the stuff most people (except me) use on their head.

9. Scissors, trimmer, or both?
Both. I trim the beard free-hand with the clippers with light touch up using the scissors. Mustache I just use scissors. I tried a few approaches, and these are the ones that give me the best results.

10. Brush, comb or both?
Both, though at the shorter length I've settled on, I use the brush most. Kent style brushes work best for me. My hair type just never worked well with the wood combs.

11. Do you like to keep your lines nice and tight, or just get them close enough?
Close enough. I want low maintenance, but not Grisly Adams.

12. What is your favorite razor for beard lines?
My Progress is probably my most comfortable on my neck, though I pull out the Parker Shavette every once in a while.

13. What is the longest you've ever let your facial hair grow?
I let mustache and everything go for about 8 months. My beard is far too wavy when it gets long, and I don't like having to blow dry, so I settled for shorter. The pic on the right is right before I started trimming, the pic on the left is pretty close to how I wear it now.

0BD53548-6971-4C0E-9D7F-F657445DCA53.jpeg

14. Has your facial hair started to turn gray or white, if so how do you feel about the change?
Just a few whites starting to come in, mostly on the chin, though a couple in the 'stache. I don't mind it at all. "Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness. - Proverbs 16:31 NIV"

15. Do you ever shave it all off?
The last time was in 2013 when I had some gingival grafts done and I figured it would make the doctor's job easier. My wife and daughter don't like it at all, so that probably won't happen again soon.

79E4CF22-B768-4A7E-9374-3BD10348BCA5.jpeg

16. What hobbies do you have?
You mean other than shaving? Mainly reading, though this year I intend to do a lot more writing as well, and if I can compile enough articles, I may even start a blog. I also spend quite a bit of time volunteering with our Men's Ministry at church.

17. What is your favorite part of B&B?
If you mean my favorite place to visit, then Lately it's been the beard and mustache forums, for obvious reasons. I'm also a head shaver, which is what drew me here in the first place, so anything related to head shaving is good too. If you're being more general, then like anything else that's important, it's the people.

We used to do murder mystery dinners with out church group for Halloween where I would play with the solo mustache, though I never left it like that and it's been a few years now.
proxy.php

And a couple of head shaving questions while I have you here.

Do you use the same razor for your head and face?
Yes. If it doesn't work for both, then I don't keep it. I like them really aggressive for both, as I do a single pass WTG to ease irritation.

If you could would you trade your beard/mustache for a full head of hair?
Nope. I think my wife would agree that I look better with the bald/beard combo than I did with the hair and clean shaven face. Bout the same amount of work either way. Plus, I've been really enjoying the handlebars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing the interview Garrett!
Awesome mustache! The beard is great too, but that 'stache really steals the show!:thumbup1:

No problem. Pictures aren't showing up for me. If anyone else is having the same problem, let me know and I'll try to repost them.

Great interview, and great beard too! I have a question, AZ native, yet you're an Eagles fan? How did that happen?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ha ha. I'm a Lion's fan, which means I have a back up team, as we always suck. Mine is the Redskins. Have loved them for going on 50 years, as it was their colors that drew me in as a 6 year old. Of course, they have broken my heart since about 1987 as I recall.....

Top Bottom