What's new

Let the official DE <-> disposable war begin...

Let us begin a flame war where words are not saved and no opinion is safe. :001_smile

During my vacation I bought disposable twin blade razors (buy 10 and get 2 free). The price in Italy was 2 - 3 euros. As I don't want to begin a real flame war where people get hurt I won't disclose the brand name. Let's call the disposable razors "El Cheapo", an well known brand in itself. BTW funny to notice that in Italy every grocery store has shaving products for sale but for example in Croatia they are difficult to find.

Usually I use an open comb Merkur with Feathers and I don't bleed much anymore. At least every time. If I am careful and move slowly. And hold my breath while shaving.

But back to the disposables. I was surprised how pleasant the shave was. And above all forgiving. I could use more pressure and swifter moves. But the most pleasing thing was the disposable's small head. Shaving below the nose is much easier than with the a conventional DE. On the negative side the disposable is more difficult to clean and the space between the blades seems to fill quite quickly with gunk. (When you as a woodworker use a plane, you get shavings. But when you shave, what do you get? :w00t:). It seem to me that the development of DEs has been halted because of the standardized dimensions of the blade.

I should maybe add that I hated the multi-blade Fusion and certainly I will continue to use conventional DE back home.

Anyone brave enough to admit that a disposable razor (environmental issues and price aside) may not always be an altogether negative experience. Anyone?

i always take a disposable to the gym or for travel

less hassle, lighter, not bothered if lost or damaged

but

my brush and soap stick always come too

The birds and crickets are chirping in this thread :)
For one, you don't want to count the most important drawbacks about disposables (enviromental issues and price).
Secondly, you seem to like to apply pressure and say "you dont bleed much anymore", maybe you haven't got the hang of safety razors yet...
Lastly, if you want a small razor, there is schick injectors you know.

Maybe try a gem or an injector if you aren't happy with the merkur and feather.

I grew up with disposables, that's what my dad used and thats what I started of with, I hated them. Maybe they've improved since the late 80's, but I wouldn't care due to the enviromental aspect these days if they did. I went from disposables, to the atra, M3, electric, to the gillette DE, to SE GEM.
If I wasn't using a classic safety razor, I'd probably get by with an electric rather than fusions and disposables

You can get the small head *and* better flow through with an injector razor. You'll find that they have a very loyal following here.

It's not as if the DE's the only alternative to the disposable/cartridge world.

- Chris

I keep a Personna sensitive single blade disposable in my gym bag, mostly to shave the back of my neck about twice a week. Used to shave with these in the shower with these at the health club, with cream provided there, which has the consistency of peanut butter. Sometimes when I got home I'd remember to splash some witch hazel on my face, sometimes not. I'd shrug off the irritation and questions about why my face was red.

Now If I shave at the health club it's with a Slim adjustable or a Schick Krona kept in a soap container, with a small tube of shave cream.

The Slim or Super adjustable can be a bit of challenge to shave the upper lip with, but I have no problem with a Schick Krona or a Tech.

The Tech, with an aluminum handle, has a light but solid feel to it, not unlike a disposable. It's forgiving enough that I can use it almost like a disposable, but with one year of DE technique practice.

Disposables on the face in emergency only.

Mach 3 was the best disposable on my face, but still gave me burn and bumps on my neck. I'd dread shaving.

However, I still continue to use a M3 on my head if I want the clean shaven look and it works great. I wouldn't dare use a DE on my head, especially in the situation I'm in now (lousy light, one mirror).

I keep a Bic "Good News" disposable on my sink for touch ups under my nose and in case I'm running late for work and need to zip through my shave.

If I make a 2 pass shave with the good news, I get a great shave. I always use my brush and soap. The canned goo is gathering dust.

I have old handles for the Mach 3 and Fusion razors but I refuse to buy anymore of their expensive cartridges. I get a better shave from the good news anyway.

Still use the Bic Sensitive for travel and I find that it gives a decent shave. No shame in admitting that...right?...right?!?

the shave I got with a disposable never got near the shave i got with a DE (and now straight).

1) i dont think people will get hurt if you tell us what products youre using
2) on the development of the DE halted through standardization of blades - what do you mean?

2) on the development of the DE halted through standardization of blades - what do you mean?

I just meant that the standard size of the DE blade nearly defines the head size.

But don't take this thread too seriously. My mother-in-law and my darling wife told me that I am man enough to admit occasionally using disposables. :001_rolle

I get much better shaves with a DE than I ever did with a cartridge.

The cartridge that I find comes closest to a DE is the TracII.

That being said, I generally take a Sensor disposable with me when I have to travel carry on or shave in a rush (work or gym).

I find that all of the cheapie disposables just chew my face up.

I keep a Bic "Good News" disposable on my sink for touch ups under my nose and in case I'm running late for work and need to zip through my shave.

If I make a 2 pass shave with the good news, I get a great shave. I always use my brush and soap. The canned goo is gathering dust.

I have old handles for the Mach 3 and Fusion razors but I refuse to buy anymore of their expensive cartridges. I get a better shave from the good news anyway.

I didn't know those still existed. Aren't Good News razors made by Gillette?

I think the Sensor 3 disposables, and Mach 3 disposables are quite good. They are also quite expensive. As a bonus, you can remove the cartridge off of both of these, and use them with a regular full weight Sensor/ Mach 3 handle.

The really cheap a** disposables, you can keep those; utter, and total garbage. (other than the Bic Single Blades, haven't tried those in many many years).

You can get a decent shave with any razor out there.
Yeah, I said it.

The key though, is prep.

If you take the time to soak your beard, apply proper lather with a proper brush, even the fusion will give you a passable shave.

The true disadvantages to multi blades, aside from the sheer cost of refills, is that the blades tend to clog easily, and are a PITA to clean if not impossible.
They automatically do a second, third, or even fifth pass with one stroke, leading to ingrowns and razor burn.

They are perfectly fine for occasional use, for travel, to keep at work/gym bag in case you NEED to shave somewhere.
But for daily use, they will eventually tear you up and bleed your wallet dry.

Before I discovered my local shave shop, I tried every type of plastic razor I could find and preferred the WS Quattro system. That said, for me at least, disposables are an emergency measure and I'm more likely to go without a shave than use one.

The true disadvantages to multi blades, aside from the sheer cost of refills, is that the blades tend to clog easily, and are a PITA to clean if not impossible.

Not so (much) here in the Nordic countries. We have in almost every toilet a bidee with a shower head. It is quite usable in cleaning the razor head and the sink after shaving. But I agree that the ordinary safety razor is easier to clean after shaving.

Hi Icecool.

Not to argue, but I lived in Sweden for 8 years and have been to Norway, Finland and Denmark and don't remember seeing a single bidet. In Portugal (where my parents live) there are bidets in every bathroom.

Maybe it's different in Sweden from the other Nordic countries. Where do you live?

Not so (much) here in the Nordic countries. We have in almost every toilet a bidee with a shower head. It is quite usable in cleaning the razor head and the sink after shaving. But I agree that the ordinary safety razor is easier to clean after shaving.

Top Bottom