What's new

Let the Bloodbath Begin

Luca Dinaro is a real character. It’s all in Italian but you’ll get the idea. He sprouts a big handle bar mustache. He posts numerous videos, just find one where you see him holding a straight or rasoio a Mano libera in Italian.
The other barber Luigi Migni has a goatee so you might learn from him , but again also all in Italian. Good luck! Keep us posted of your progress.

Thanks for the suggestions! I can follow Italian somewhat, but I'm really looking for the technique and the visuals should work well for what I need.

Thanks for the suggestions! I can follow Italian somewhat, but I'm really looking for the technique and the visuals should work well for what I need.
These guys have good technique and rarely do I see blood. Remember they have been using straights for years

Professional barbers can move around the one they are shaving. This allows them to always be able to position their dominant hand appropriately.

Me? My right arm is stuck permanently on the right side and I can't move it to my left side. Thankfully, I have a twin already on the left side. It does just fine after only minimal training.

Professional barbers can move around the one they are shaving. This allows them to always be able to position their dominant hand appropriately.

Me? My right arm is stuck permanently on the right side and I can't move it to my left side. Thankfully, I have a twin already on the left side. It does just fine after only minimal training.

True, but in the videos I'm referring to, they are shaving their own faces, not a client's. I'm learning the angles of reaching across and think that's what I'll stick with since it seems to work well for me so far and I don't have an issue reaching across my body at all, however, some people may have shoulder mobility issues that could make that difficult.

So third shave today and it was a really nice one. Smooth and even did a third pass ATG, which I haven't done in years. The BBS was effortless, but hardly surprising since there isn't a guard getting in the way of the blade. I was able to shave without any nicks or irritation.

It was much easier today since I decided to do a lot of practise runs with an old DE shavette without the blade. It wasn't perfect, obviously, but it allowed me to learn how to use the mirror better and how to hold the razor better while shaving in difficult spots.

I'm really starting to enjoy open blade shaving.

So third shave today and it was a really nice one. Smooth and even did a third pass ATG, which I haven't done in years. The BBS was effortless, but hardly surprising since there isn't a guard getting in the way of the blade. I was able to shave without any nicks or irritation.

It was much easier today since I decided to do a lot of practise runs with an old DE shavette without the blade. It wasn't perfect, obviously, but it allowed me to learn how to use the mirror better and how to hold the razor better while shaving in difficult spots.

I'm really starting to enjoy open blade shaving.
Great Rome wasn’t built in a day. Nice to hear you’re progressing.
Let me just caution you to be mindful of where your freehand is when using a straight or shavette. It’s really easy to pass your freehand into an open blade without realizing it until it’s too late!

Great Rome wasn’t built in a day. Nice to hear you’re progressing.
Let me just caution you to be mindful of where your freehand is when using a straight or shavette. It’s really easy to pass your freehand into an open blade without realizing it until it’s too late!

Good point, I normally use it to stretch the skin, but I'll make sure I keep an eye on it.

Side note, I think I'm chasing a rabbit because I've been looking at real straights. :facep:

Good point, I normally use it to stretch the skin, but I'll make sure I keep an eye on it.

Side note, I think I'm chasing a rabbit because I've been looking at real straights. :facep:
You put a real honest to goodness shave ready blade on your face and. there is no going back! Straight razors all have their own personalities especially vintage ones.

Does anyone have any advice on how to develop the offhand quickly?
Might be a bit late to reply, but here goes.
I've always been somewhat ambidextrous so take this however you want.

With shaving, just use a dry run to help develop muscle memory. Use either a bladeless shavette or a blunt (not just not shave ready, but blunt) straight to get used to the motions of shaving. As you develop confidence, start by slowly incorporating your off hand. Usually WTG on the same side to start and use the off hand more as your coordination and confidence increases.

To generally develop usefulness with your off hand, start by trying simple, mundane things with your other hand. Unlocking a door, lathering, even drinking your coffee with your off hand to get accustomed to using it. Who knows, you might find some things easier using your off hand.

Might be a bit late to reply, but here goes.
I've always been somewhat ambidextrous so take this however you want.

With shaving, just use a dry run to help develop muscle memory. Use either a bladeless shavette or a blunt (not just not shave ready, but blunt) straight to get used to the motions of shaving. As you develop confidence, start by slowly incorporating your off hand. Usually WTG on the same side to start and use the off hand more as your coordination and confidence increases.

To generally develop usefulness with your off hand, start by trying simple, mundane things with your other hand. Unlocking a door, lathering, even drinking your coffee with your off hand to get accustomed to using it. Who knows, you might find some things easier using your off hand.

Definitely good advice. I tore my right biceps a couple of years back and had to do everything off-handed for several weeks. Shaving was really difficult at first and ended up using a cart for a while. If I had my off-hand trained for DE shaving I would have been happy lol.

Wow that didn’t take long!👍
Just be certain it’s really shave ready so you get the best experience on your maiden voyage.

Thanks, I specifically looked for a place that said they had save-ready SRs and found them at Kent of Inglewood in Vancouver. Their descriptions mention that the staff ensures that they are honed and just need to be stropped prior to use. I have placed an order at Lee Valley for pickup tomorrow for the stone and oxide and Fendrihan for a decent strop. Should be interesting.

I know I could have started a little cheaper using lapping film but I figured I might as well go for the stone right away.

Forth shave today on the Feather AC with the same blade. The shave was fast and smooth and I can feel my technique coming along well. I can't shave as fast as I can with a DE yet, but shaving time is less than half of what it used to be. Still no irritation or issues except a small nick in a problem area on my neck that I get a lot with any razor.

I'm progressing a lot faster than I thought I would, but the only issue is that I over-shaved one side of my beard so now I need to let that grow out. :facep: Can't wait till my real SR arrives!

Finally got a real SR in the mail today. Just a Dovo Best Quality but I'm really excited to see how this performs. I also have a Dovo Bizmark coming from a local B&M, likely tomorrow. I'm curious how the extra width on the blade will affect the performance.

Top Bottom