What's new

Let me introduce myself.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Hello, I'm John and the Powers That Be have seen fit to make me a Steward for the Shooting Sports and Firearms forum. I am honored and humbled to accept that position. A little about myself, I am officially an old codger tomorrow as I turn 60 years old, how the hell did I get that old so quickly? LOL. I make my living as an ICU nurse. I have a bit over three years on active duty and about nine or so in the Louisiana National Guard and played in the sandbox during the first Gulf War. Getting out of the Guard, I was a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for another nine years or so. I have always loved firearms and began shooting at a young age. When I was 16 years old, I sold my Bianchi bicycle and had my Dad buy me a Smith & Wesson Highway Patrolman .357 magnum pistol and began reloading my own ammo. I am an NRA Life member and have been certified as a pistol and Personal Protection, Home Safety instructor, but I'm not currently actively teaching at this time. I have done a bit of competition in the past, IPSC, IDPA, PPC, three gun and F-class 600 yd rifle. I'm by no means an expert in any of these disciplines, just dabbled in most of them. I've attended a few shooting schools, Gunsite under the late Jeff Cooper, Rangemaster and I've trained with James Yeager and Andy Stafford, among others. I'm not the most tech savvy geezer and am still reading thru the stickies for stews, so bare with me. Feel free to contact me with any ideas for the forum.Thanks in advance for your support and I hope to live up to your high standards as a new stew.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Way to go, John.

I hope you enjoy your tenure.

A Smiff and Western tree fiddy sebum mangrum as your first wheelgun? Nice.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and Happy Birthday!

You ARE getting to be an old geezer...you're about a month-and-a-half older than I am. :biggrin1:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Way to go, John.

I hope you enjoy your tenure.

A Smiff and Western tree fiddy sebum mangrum as your first wheelgun? Nice.

Go big or go home! Actually I had shot a few revolves and pistols, mostly .22 LR. Just not my own. I wanted to get into reloading, hence the need for a center fire. The big N-frame S&W was a real ***** cat as I cut my teeth initially with mild .38 spl loads before building up to "magums" . Wish I still had that old wheel gun, I foolishly parted with it before I saw the changes to come in the firearms industry. I of course have several other .357s, but none like that first one.

Good to see you as steward.. My first centerfire handgun was a S&W K 38, 6" I purchased in 68 when I finished college. Prior to that the only handgun I had fired was a K 22 my dad had. I have never cared to sell so I still have that old K 38, I did not learn to reload for it as I had been loading 30-06 for about 5 years at that time.

Where in La are you? My sister and I still maintain our parents house over in W. Monroe, and I try to make it to the Ouachita Parish range several times a year.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Welcome aboard as Steward, and thanks for both services!

As a teen my buddy had that N-frame- I went the Mod. 65 K-frame route.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Today is the day!!!

60 does not an old codger make BTW

Yes it does...I just found myself doing the old codger scoop from a pouch of Carter Hall for my pipe.

I'm going to go sit in my recliner now and finish my pipe. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom