What's new

Lessons Taught/Learned Here on B&B

I had all but totally given up on soaps.....all soaps....unable to get them to lather sufficiently to compete with my favorite creams. Then, I lurked, listened and picked up on a few tips on this sight. I put them to use, and have changed my opinion of soaps.

Convinced that none of the soaps I bought were "Latherable," I took a cue from a few posts on this site and decided to add some water to the puck cup. I let it stand for two days. This morning, I put my Plissoft synthetic to the lathering task and within 15-20 seconds, I had enough slick, thick and rich lather to last 4 passes if I were so inclined.....and I could not believe that the soap was giving my favorite cream a run for its money!! And, it is not like I had chosen a puck of the finest expensive imported soap......it was VAN DER HAGEN!! I could not believe the result!! I will be using it again tomorrow. Great scent and I never before took it seriously. Used properly, it is a DF Soap.

Tip #2 that has really been a great boost to my shave prep........and I cannot recall who to credit with this gem of wisdom.........But, I use the same shampoo/conditioner combo to scrub my face that I shampoo my hair with, allowing it to sit a bit on my beard for 20-30 seconds before rinsing off. Talk about a beard buster on steroids!! By the time I lather up, its all about applying lather rather than working to soften my beard. The conditioner has already done that. I could not believe how effective it was! But, someone among you came up with that little gem and it really transformed my shaving routine. Thanks, whoever suggested it.

Continuing on, and this is such great advice.......after shaving, I find there is no better way to cool down a fresh shave than to splash on some Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel With Aloe Vera......it soothes and tones and shuts down weepers (if any) fast and really cools the skin. Not sure who put me on that product, but it has really worked great for me.....so thanks for that one.

Finally, when the cooling Thayers has done its luxurious job, I then apply the Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm. At that point, its DE Nirvana for me. And, mostly from tips and suggestions learned on this sight.

Thanks to all.
Jack

It took me some time to figure out each soap and cream had their own character and had to be lathered up differently.
I have so many in the rotation now, it just made it harder.
I have so much now, and that is what led me to have a revelation in lathering. I started loading like crazy, knowing that I still have enough soap and cream to last me the rest of this decade.

Well, I don't have anywhere near that much. But the ones I do have, I am enjoying a bunch since I learned how to turn on the lathering switch. I am gonna crank up the Williams tomorrow. Used to love it......but have not gotten it to lather up in many a moon. But, I might have found the secret weapon. Will let you know tomorrow.

Wow. Tried Williams this AM. Didn't have the same success as with the VDH. But, I have some others on the radar.

Wow. Tried Williams this AM. Didn't have the same success as with the VDH. But, I have some others on the radar.
The VDH is a good performed IME. I have moved on to other high-performance soaps (Tabac, MWF, DR Harris, Cella, etc.) and VDH has been left in the dust...not because it was bad...it just didn't make the cut for the starting rotation. Same for Williams...I used it for years, unknowingly putting up with inferior lather...too much trouble/drama for me to keep it. My hard soap technique (varied slightly for each soap's individual characteristics): (1) pre-soak puck (abt 1-2 tbsp of warm water) for 10-15 min. pour off water; (2) load the brush (best badger for me, soaked for 5 min, then squeezed and shaken just about dry) heavily, getting very pasty lather; (3) face lather with the pasty stuff; (4) add water to brush, 2-3 drops at a time, continuing to face-lather until the lather "breaks" (can feel it suddenly exit the pasty phase) and becomes shiny and slick (this is the step that varies from soap to soap); (5) shave on!

I'd recommend that Tabac and Cella -- both very easy to lather and good performers -- be on your "radar."

My $0.02...

Congratulations, Jack.

It's great to hit one of those "wow" moments in wet shaving. You've hit a big one.

The good news is that there are more to come.

The VDH is a good performed IME. I have moved on to other high-performance soaps (Tabac, MWF, DR Harris, Cella, etc.) and VDH has been left in the dust...not because it was bad...it just didn't make the cut for the starting rotation. Same for Williams...I used it for years, unknowingly putting up with inferior lather...too much trouble/drama for me to keep it. My hard soap technique (varied slightly for each soap's individual characteristics): (1) pre-soak puck (abt 1-2 tbsp of warm water) for 10-15 min. pour off water; (2) load the brush (best badger for me, soaked for 5 min, then squeezed and shaken just about dry) heavily, getting very pasty lather; (3) face lather with the pasty stuff; (4) add water to brush, 2-3 drops at a time, continuing to face-lather until the lather "breaks" (can feel it suddenly exit the pasty phase) and becomes shiny and slick (this is the step that varies from soap to soap); (5) shave on!

I'd recommend that Tabac and Cella -- both very easy to lather and good performers -- be on your "radar."

My $0.02...

appreciate the suggestions, Shiloh. Both the Cella and Tabac, along with MWF,mare on my radar.....getting a few blips right now!!

It's a process learning and mastering all of the steps. Once you've done that, it's a pleasure shaving, a few minutes of personal luxury.

Top Bottom