What's new

Lesson Learned

I am 5 months into my journey. I don't feel like a beginner but certainly believe I have lots more to learn. Thank you to the sage advice members of B&B have to give. My daily desire to be clean shaven has turned into a hobby. So far I've resisted "acquisition" disorder. I only have 2 razors, 2 brushes, a couple of creams, and 1 soap. OK maybe I have a little of the disorder.

Based on size advice here, I've focussed my attention on technique. I have been exclusively using my Karve (brass) SB with a B plate, Astra SP blades, Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush, and mostly TOBS cream. I have decades of "muscle memory" with cartridges and canned goo to unlearned. My goal is for a close comfortable shave with no irritation. I am getting close shaves and as I learn a softer touch, I get less and less irritation. Last week I tried a Zingari soap and moved the comfort level up a notch with the irritation down a notch. The shave balm after left my dry skin feeling good for many hours through the day. Woo hoo - making progress! Yesterday I nailed it. Same equipment and a new blade. I even tried 3 passes on my cheeks leaving them BBS. Today with only 1 shave on the blade I crashed and burned. The first few strokes felt incredibly aggressive with a couple small nicks. Was my technique that far off? It turns out - no. Yesterday while cleaning up I loosened the razor top to rinse it out more thoroughly. I forgot to properly snug it up. After tightening I resumed with normal comfort level.

Won't do that again!

It is remarkable how what used to be a daily chore has become a hobby. I understand how one could even become obsessed with it especially if you get into collecting. This collection of members/enablers here are so supportive. I really appreciate it.

Cheers to all!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am 5 months into my journey. I don't feel like a beginner but certainly believe I have lots more to learn. Thank you to the sage advice members of B&B have to give. My daily desire to be clean shaven has turned into a hobby. So far I've resisted "acquisition" disorder. I only have 2 razors, 2 brushes, a couple of creams, and 1 soap. OK maybe I have a little of the disorder.

Based on size advice here, I've focussed my attention on technique. I have been exclusively using my Karve (brass) SB with a B plate, Astra SP blades, Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush, and mostly TOBS cream. I have decades of "muscle memory" with cartridges and canned goo to unlearned. My goal is for a close comfortable shave with no irritation. I am getting close shaves and as I learn a softer touch, I get less and less irritation. Last week I tried a Zingari soap and moved the comfort level up a notch with the irritation down a notch. The shave balm after left my dry skin feeling good for many hours through the day. Woo hoo - making progress! Yesterday I nailed it. Same equipment and a new blade. I even tried 3 passes on my cheeks leaving them BBS. Today with only 1 shave on the blade I crashed and burned. The first few strokes felt incredibly aggressive with a couple small nicks. Was my technique that far off? It turns out - no. Yesterday while cleaning up I loosened the razor top to rinse it out more thoroughly. I forgot to properly snug it up. After tightening I resumed with normal comfort level.

Won't do that again!

It is remarkable how what used to be a daily chore has become a hobby. I understand how one could even become obsessed with it especially if you get into collecting. This collection of members/enablers here are so supportive. I really appreciate it.

Cheers to all!
My friend, this probably won't make you feel any better, coming from me, the king of loose caps, but I actually JUST TODAY grabbed my Old Type with a Kai blade in it and did a stroke that had the handle spinning in my hand! I had left it loose to "dry" the blade for probably 2 weeks!

I hope that you continue to feel welcome here!

It sounds like we have had the same realization that something so historically unpleasant has become so interesting. If only there were some way to do this with household chores. Maybe I need some custom-handled scrub brushes or artisan cleaning products. The new seasonal toilet puck is in! A boy can dream…

Top Bottom