What's new

Lesson Learned

Always Always Always check the TTO knob to make sure it's tight! Somehow from one day to the next, the TTO knob had unlocked itself and, while visibly closed, had relaxed and allowed the blade to flex back to a much more aggressive angle. I didn't notice it until I started shaving and was getting razor burn on parts of my face that I never have issues on. I chalked it up to the blade falling off & finished the pass lightly ( I don't change blades mid-pass ). When I went to open the razor and switch blades, I noticed that the knob wasn't in its locked position!

Well, I tightened it, did a quick test-swipe and felt the mild shave I was expecting with a vintage SS. I won't make that mistake again! I did that yesterday & still have parts of my face that are sensitive... I probably won't be shaving again until Wednesday. This time, I assure you, I will be checking to make sure the TTO is closed securely!

My 40's SS was loose last night with a fresh feather.

Luckily, I noticed it quickly because the angle felt off.

Lesson learned, indeed.

I was using a 2 shave old Personna Blue. I still ended up with a DFS, just a DFS with irritated skin. I'm glad I still have a face though! There was one swipe that I thought took skin with it. Fortunately I just had a little cut and not any major bleeding. Cold water alone stopped it.

Other people have noticed the same problem you've described. It can also happen with two piece and three piece razors. The mechanism loosens and the blade angle becomes more agressive than normal.

I've had this happen to me with rather painful results. The only real solution is to make sure the mechanism is snug every couple passes.

Top Bottom