What's new

Lesson learned: When in doubt, switch the blade out (YMMV)

With my 6th shave from my Blackland Sabre I have been to the point where I went from sublime first 2 shaves to really average-to-poor shaves on the last 3. I used the same Personna GEM PFTE blades for all 6 shaves.

I got to the point where I was tempted to talk to Shane at Blackland and see if I can send the Razor back to put the money towards a Tradere instead. Decided last night to swap the blade and see if it makes a difference at all.

And it did. My shave today was excellent. Made me remember why I went gaga over the razor after my first shave. Just reading all posts about folks here going 10+ shaves with their GEM's made me keep questioning my technique (which does require improvement) and not the blade's longevity for me.

Lesson learned. When in doubt, switch the blade out. Its cheaper and much easier to do than just giving up on the razor right away.

I have some very tough hairs at the very bottom of my neck and the usual first downward WTG face pass will often tug on them and can produce a nick - so i have learned over time to start the shave with a gentle upward pass on the first 1" of hairs at the bottom of my neck before starting the proper full passes.

I have realised this is a great test of the blade, as to whether it is losing its sharpness and is my gauge now for when to swap it out.

Same brand / type blades can give a different number of shaves, even from the same tuck, so i think one always has to be ready for either a duff blade or one that is going off quicker than normal. I usually swap after 3 or 4 3-pass shaves, but sometimes quicker than that, depending on how the blade feels.

Top Bottom